SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Today Is The Day

Today Is The Day Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 11-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #1
Azrael_945

Today is the day samples

I thought it would be interesting to dedicate a space on this board to the sources of samples used in songs. Here are the ones I know of, anyone else who can add to this list please do.

Sadness will prevail:

Criminal - The sample at the beginning of this song is obviously a modem dialing up and connecting to the internet, probably with no particualr source. Steve said in an interview that this song is about how some people get on-line and talk shit and spread lies about people they don't even know and in many cases ruin peoples lives because of the supposed anonymous feel of the internet, and how slander and libel laws are pretty much thrown out the window this way.

Christianized Magic - The sample that runs through this song is from a movie on the west memphis 3 called Paradice lost. I believe it was made by HBO for thier america undercover series. For those not familiar with the case, 3 guys who where in thier mid to late teens at the time I believe, were charged with and convicted of killing a woman in West Memphis, Arkansas. Many people believe there was no evidence to support these guys committing the crime and that they were basically accused of it because of the way they look. You know, small town and thier probably the only three guys in town who listen to non mainstream music so the rest of the town thinks it's obviously those wierd guys who probably worship the devil. The very drunk guy speaking in this sample is the huusband of the woman murdered, who many believe is the one who commited the crime. Supposedly, this interview with him in it's entirity just gets wierder and wierder.

Control the media - The sounds and backwards scream at the beginning of this song are from the movie Memento

Never answer the phone - There are two in this one. The first is from the movie Memento. Not only is the sample from that movie, but the title of the song is from it as well. I highly recommend that movie if you haven't seen, though I rcommend the first viewing be by yourself and not amost friends as you do have to pay attention to what is going on since it works backwards and the plot unfolds that way. As intense and thought provoking as a today is the day song. The hail satan stuff at the end is from one of my all time favorite movies Rosemary's baby.

In the eyes of god:

In the eyes of god - Steve said the two movies that infulenced him most on this album were the last temptation of christ and Waco: rules of engagment. I'm not totally sure on this one, but I assume the sample at the beginning of this song is probably from Waco: rules of engagment.

Spotting a unicorn - This one starts with a clip from the film "the illustrated man". The movie was based on the writings of ray bradbury and is about a guy who is covered from head to toe in tattoos, which I believe were made by his wife. When people look into his tattoos, they see visions and in this film a guy looks in and sees three different stories. In the end, he is haunted by nightmares of the illustrated man trying to kill him.

Temple of the mourning star:

The man who loves to hurt himself - The country song at the beginning is Good hearted woman by Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson. The distortion and voice over I believe were probably studio manipulations. Not sure of the exact source of the "right now I want the undivided attention of every god fearing american citizen" part, but I know this was said by Jerry Falwell.

Mankind - The sample that runs through this song is from the film version of Stephen King's Carrie.

Willpower:

Many happy returns - I'm pretty sure this one was from a commercial by some automobile company that aired quite frequently around the time the album was recorded.
Azrael_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:28 PM   #2
The Accused

Hey, I wanted to make a thread like this!
since you already have mentioned Memento, Carrie all I have to add is:
Going To Hell: the opera singing in the beginning is from the movie "The Cook The Thief His Wife And Her Lover". In the movie it was sung by the kid of the unknown sex (most likely a boy). I believe the melody itself was not the original music, but whatever.

also, there are two samples from "Requiem For A Dream" movie on Sadness Will Prevail, but I can't name the exact tracks. There was some voice of the old man saying "You got a right attitude, do you know that?" and someone saying "Welcome" on some other song
The Accused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:19 PM   #3
Tero

Re: Today is the day samples

Sadness cd 2 starts with requiem for a dream sample, its from end of the movie, dildo scene with lots of crowd noise.

Willpower starts with sample from some 90`s mafia movie, dont remember the name but it was weird feeling to realize it when i was watching the movie.
Tero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:17 PM   #4
Marked

I should also point out that the outro sample to Flowers Made of Flesh was said to be from American Movie.
Marked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 05:08 AM   #5
The Inferno Master

another sample

I think the other sample at the start of "The Man who loves to Hurt Himself" is Bill Hicks...

"you are free to do what we tell you"
The Inferno Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 08:27 PM   #6
RBP

Re: another sample

Quote:
Originally posted by The Inferno Master
I think the other sample at the start of "The Man who loves to Hurt Himself" is Bill Hicks...

"you are free to do what we tell you"
I love that part.
RBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:33 PM   #7
the_kick_inside

i know that the sample to "high as the sky" i believe the song is called (sorry, i dont know song names too well)
when the woman is talking about having her asshole licked, is from the show "sex in the city"

all the other ones i know have already been mentioned
the_kick_inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 08:56 PM   #8
born_to_lose

^ heh that sample in High As the Sky cracks me up every time
born_to_lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:04 PM   #9
Carcass
Happy Retard

Quote:
Originally posted by Marked
I should also point out that the outro sample to Flowers Made of Flesh was said to be from American Movie.
It is from that movie.. or exactly it's from the short film Coven that appear in american movie..

www.americanmovie.com
Carcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:54 AM   #10
Carcass
Happy Retard

Quote:
Originally posted by Carcass
It is from that movie.. or exactly it's from the short film Coven that appear in american movie..

www.americanmovie.com
Oh sorry.. mistake.. yes that sample is taken from the movie too.. but there is also another sample from it

it's the Theres something to live for, jesus told me so.. sample
Carcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:39 AM   #11
born_to_lose

^ I love that sample too

And I see youve posted that on The Berzerker section too --------> nice :D
Old 01-04-2005, 05:06 AM   #12
born_to_lose

You know I just reminded myself of some great samples as used by The Manic Street Preachers [a band that no one likes except me, so it seems, because they are Welsh and have a glam rock edge!] but check out "The Holy Bible" -- its pure evil [no, really!]

"I knew that someday I was gonna die
And I knew before I died
Two things would happen to me
That number one: I would regret my entire life
And number two: I would want to live my life over again"

But anyway. Ooh in fact if you like TITD you would probably like that record [similar issues and stuff, I give up trying to promote MSP, seems no one even knows who they are]

BUT ANYWAY.

Back to TITD...anyone know where the sample in "The Begging" came from?
Old 01-28-2005, 03:02 AM   #13
ShackleApe

how bout the sample where its the guy saying ---"if you want to see your future you may have to pay a price cause you may look in there and see how your gonna die......" and so forth? i think we all love that one
ShackleApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 03:03 AM   #14
ShackleApe

----cont'd-
where's that one from?
ShackleApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 07:54 AM   #15
Azrael_945

Quote:
Originally posted by ShackleApe
how bout the sample where its the guy saying ---"if you want to see your future you may have to pay a price cause you may look in there and see how your gonna die......" and so forth? i think we all love that one

It's in the first post. That sample is from an old movie (late 60's I believe) called "The illustrated man".
Old 02-27-2005, 10:15 AM   #16
maniacal

heres one i dont remember the answer to - its not a sample though, it's a song title mention within a movie. maggots and riots is said by some hippie crazy bitch in a 70's/maybe late 60's movie with i think jack nicholson in it. she says "thats the kind of thing that causes maggots and riots."

was flipping channels, stopped on amc and went wait a minute..
maniacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:14 PM   #17
Azrael_945

Quote:
Originally posted by maniacal
heres one i dont remember the answer to - its not a sample though, it's a song title mention within a movie. maggots and riots is said by some hippie crazy bitch in a 70's/maybe late 60's movie with i think jack nicholson in it. she says "thats the kind of thing that causes maggots and riots."

was flipping channels, stopped on amc and went wait a minute..

Could it have possibly been "Easy Rider"? I haven't seen the movie in forever, but I know it was playing on AMC recently and does have nicholson in it.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:26 AM   #18
BIONICJESUS

straight up gangsta

the movie with the WILLPOWER sample stars Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci and is called GOODFELLAS
BIONICJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:12 PM   #19
Mike Schank

"No way, I have absolutely no f*$%in' money, no way of getting any money..."

that comes from american movie, where I took my screen name from; one of my favorite movies

are you sure that "you are the universe" quote comes from a commercial?

also that new band called the esoteric featuring the drummer from 'sadness' has some samples that sound very similar to titd samples
Mike Schank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:20 PM   #20
irezumiaaron

I think my favorite samples that TITD uses have all been covered so far; I just wanted to provoke curiosity & interest in whomever to check out a metal/punk band called Dystopia(don't take my word for it, check out this bands albums if you get the chance or download from soulseek/limewire/whatever you use; I'll bet that if you like TITD you'll most likely dig Dystopia)....

Absolutly crushing fucking sound & original style as well; They also have a tendacy to use the perfect sample for some tracks that seem to match the theme of the song exactly...

They have two full-lenth LPs 'Human-Garbage' & 'The Aftermath' and a bunch of split EPs & 7" releases, most of which are also on 'Aftermath'.

This is a link to the label that releases most of their stuff:http://www.lifeisabuse.com/

Last edited by irezumiaaron; 03-20-2005 at 09:49 PM..
irezumiaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:45 AM   #21
irezumiaaron

If anyone likes what they heard, PM me & I can post up more of their stuff.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:33 AM   #22
The Accused

I already have
DYSTOPIA - 1994 - Human = Garbage
DYSTOPIA - 1997 - Backstabber
DYSTOPIA - 1998 - Aftermath
What else did they release?
The Accused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:58 PM   #23
born_to_lose

whoa that Dystopia stuff rules!

listening to it now :D
Old 04-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #24
irezumiaaron

I'm not familiar with that band; I'll have to check them out...

'Iron Monkey' is a kick-ass kung-fu movie, though.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:18 AM   #25
born_to_lose

yus check Iron Monkey's self titled [first] record on Earache ;)