SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2014, 01:30 AM   #361
RICE510

Re: The (new) Fail/Win Thread

So many words and like stuff.
RICE510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:09 AM   #362
D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N.
ain't got no agua

Who would think a shirt that should be relegated to a Goodwill Outlet bin would spark such a debate. Perhaps next time he can wear a shirt consisting of Uncle Toms and Ethiopian Minstrels in an effort to spark a discussion on racial inequality.
D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:56 AM   #363
_Hez_
Hez

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N. View Post
Perhaps next time he can wear a shirt consisting of Uncle Toms and Ethiopian Minstrels in an effort to spark a discussion on racial inequality.

get on my level of edgy
_Hez_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #364
Raad
'sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomes of Deceit View Post
"Feminism" is maybe the wrong term at this point; we call it that but I think the movement also helps men who are in fields like nursing or secretary work. I think there are gender role issues for men as well, for example teen males may have emotional problems because they can't live up to sexual or physical expectations or aren't comfortable with their emotions. But it's often "feminists" who care about these things, more than the supposed MRA's.
Feminism is the correct term and the discussions about the semantics surrounding the word are ridiculous. Feminism is called that since it has its roots in the movement that demanded basic human rights for women but has long since then (as you imply towards the end of your post) taken to include the idea that the gender roles imposed upon men is harmful to society as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hez_ View Post
The examples are analogies to his examples. If mine don't make sense, then his don't make sense. Exclaiming "...but sexism" and making an appeal to tradition isn't a justification.

Also, historically, men use sex against everyone, regardless of gender. It's a classic power play that we can still see remnants of today (prisons). Are you saying the t-shirt invokes this history? Are you saying that it invokes the unfortunate fact that most of this power play was likely heterosexual in nature and is meant to rub it in womens faces "Ha-ha!"? What exactly are you saying?

Let me raise your consciousness for a second:
  • Strippers exist.
  • Sexy women exist.
  • Sexy women with guns exist.
  • Sexy lingerie exists, it's no longer taboo to dress sexy.

In these examples, it's not necessarily the case that they're being oppressed by virtue of sex being used. Sex can be the end result, not just a means to something malicious.
How do you reconcile your view of the world with the reality of this world, where woman are now confident enough to flaunt their sexyness independently? Do you think they are doing a disservice to feminism? If the shirt in question is justified in making people upset, should swimsuit models make people upset? Should they cover up? Are fully covered muslim women bastions of modern day feminsism?
I think you misunderstand what I mean when I say that men have used women's sexuality against them. I mean that there's always existed a sort of double bind where women's sexuality is expected to be readily available for men but at the same time kept at bay. For example today women are expected to balance some sort of ever changing razor thin line between "sexy" and "classy" to avoid being labeled a slut or a prude. This is upheld by, among other things, a constant barrage of sexual portrayals of women and social commentaries about their bodies. There is no equivalent historical or current social phenomena when it comes to men and therefore the parallel seems a bit strained to say the least. Kind of like arguing that blackface should be okay since no white person would be offended by someone wearing "whiteface".

If you read my first post I explicitly talk about how sexual objectification in itself is not something negative which I think is something that is unfortunately heavily implied in these kinds of debates. However, everything we do exists in a historical and societal context. This means that even though one can see for example Nicki Minaj's Anaconda as a clever expression of self-objectification or an independent assertion of sexuality it can also be seen as a cultural phenomena that promotes the idea of women and their sexuality as a commodity, superficiality as a necessary female trait and women's looks as a central point of self-worth. What I'm saying is that this shirt, which I can't believe I'm now debating, can be seen in a similar way.

This isn't a simple issue nor have I claimed that it is but if the idea is that we should only take on explanatory models based on their lack of complexity then we'd probably live in the third reich or something by now.
Raad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #365
_Hez_
Hez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raad View Post
I think you misunderstand what I mean when I say that men have used women's sexuality against them. I mean that there's always existed a sort of double bind where women's sexuality is expected to be readily available for men but at the same time kept at bay. For example today women are expected to balance some sort of ever changing razor thin line between "sexy" and "classy" to avoid being labeled a slut or a prude. This is upheld by, among other things, a constant barrage of sexual portrayals of women and social commentaries about their bodies. There is no equivalent historical or current social phenomena when it comes to men and therefore the parallel seems a bit strained to say the least. Kind of like arguing that blackface should be okay since no white person would be offended by someone wearing "whiteface".
Men have had a very similar line they've had to walk carefully along throughout history -- looking good without looking like you're trying to look good. In roman times if you removed too much hair or wore makeup it was seen as effeminate, these days you'd be called a faggot or a metrosexual. Not much has changed, really. Also, keep in mind that these insults (slut, etc) are used by both genders. Chicks call other chicks sluts all the time and judge them by their looks. You might say that they've been had by the patriarchy, while I'd tell you its a symptom of human nature that people are judged by their appearances.

Quote:
If you read my first post I explicitly talk about how sexual objectification in itself is not something negative which I think is something that is unfortunately heavily implied in these kinds of debates. However, everything we do exists in a historical and societal context. This means that even though one can see for example Nicki Minaj's Anaconda as a clever expression of self-objectification or an independent assertion of sexuality it can also be seen as a cultural phenomena that promotes the idea of women and their sexuality as a commodity, superficiality as a necessary female trait and women's looks as a central point of self-worth. What I'm saying is that this shirt, which I can't believe I'm now debating, can be seen in a similar way.
Sex sells, everybody knows that, and everybody knows that sex sells regardless of gender. Think of all the handsome pop stars from the 90's like Enrique Iglesias, Lenny Kravitz or Peter Andre, who all made conscious decisions (or at least their management did) to go shirtless and make sexy video clips like Niki Minaj does. You think they would've got ahead if they just wore cardigans in every video clip?

Quote:
This isn't a simple issue nor have I claimed that it is but if the idea is that we should only take on explanatory models based on their lack of complexity then we'd probably live in the third reich or something by now.
Yes, expressing indifference to an ugly shirt with half-naked chicks on it is surely a slipper slope to nazism.

Last edited by _Hez_; 11-21-2014 at 09:53 AM..
Old 11-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #366
Raad
'sup

Quote:
Men have had a very similar line they've had to walk carefully along throughout history -- looking good without looking like you're trying to look good. In roman times if you removed too much hair or wore makeup it was seen as effeminate, these days you'd be called a faggot or a metrosexual. Not much has changed, really.
That's true, there exists social values on what a man should be. But this is not at all related to sexual objectification of men. This is a paradox resulting from female values being related to beauty but at the same time femininity is devalued. So if the male wants to be beautiful in which case he must take on traditionally feminine values (smoothness, objectification of the self, vanity etc) but at the same time he must assert his masculinity somehow. Straying to far on either side of the spectrum he will either be called a sissy or a faggot or on the other hand he will simply not be deemed beautiful in which case he can demonstrate his value (https://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l...wm58o1_400.gif) in some other way (while this option is much more limited to women). So yeah, again this is not upheld by a systematic sexual objectification of men (which would have to be necessary for your initial point to be valid) but by a language that devalues femininity. If we were talking about women calling male nurses faggots in hospitals I'd get your point.

Quote:
Think of all the handsome pop stars from the 90's like Enrique Iglesias, Lenny Kravitz or Peter Andre, who all made conscious decisions (or at least their management did) to go shirtless and make sexy video clips like Niki Minaj does. You think they would've got ahead if they just wore cardigans in every video clip?
Again, their sexual objectification does not relate to any relevant historical or social context. I mean, do you understand why Dave Chappelle can paint his face white but why blackface is offensive? This is (kinda) the same thing.

I'm not actually arguing that we force pop stars to put clothes on or that we should burn this shirt or whatever. I'm just arguing about how sexual objectification of women relates to sexism and gender inequality in general. Words, cultural expressions etc don't exist independently in some kind of vacuum.

Quote:
Yes, expressing indifference to an ugly shirt with half-naked chicks on it is surely a slipper slope to nazism.
That's not what I said :)
Old 11-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #367
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

http://www.gfycat.com/MasculineSlightCoati

lol
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #368
Skull Knight

Skull Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #369
GEEsu5
Permanently Banned.

this thread sucks
GEEsu5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #370
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

http://www.worldstaruncut.com/uncut/40855

couple having sex on subway platform in toronto LOL
Old 11-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #371
_Hez_
Hez

Quote:
So yeah, again this is not upheld by a systematic sexual objectification of men (which would have to be necessary for your initial point to be valid) but by a language that devalues femininity. If we were talking about women calling male nurses faggots in hospitals I'd get your point.
I'm sorry, have you met a chick? They're not the sexual equivalent to "I can't see colour". They objectify as much as we do. And I can't help but notice that your whole side of the conversation presumes heterosexuality. Chicks objectify other chicks, and guys objectify other guys. There is nothing exclusive about objectification.

We are all a product of sex for fucks sake (intended pun), of course we're all going to be thinking about it and see potential partners in people. Am I the only one WTFing here?

Quote:
Again, their sexual objectification does not relate to any relevant historical or social context. I mean, do you understand why Dave Chappelle can paint his face white but why blackface is offensive? This is (kinda) the same thing.
Really, now?
Black face has a direct historical context to slavery and oppressive times for black people. It was actually done during that era.

Hipsters wearing ugly shirts of half-naked women has never been done in the history of oppressing women. My god what a disingenuous analogy.
Real world examples of sexy half-naked women exist everywhere, go to a beach and talk to them, they're fine with it. Why aren't you?

Maybe the line you're drawing in the sand shouldn't be at "guy wearing cartoon shirt of stripper-esque woman", maybe it should at "guy wearing cartoon shirt of harem".

Quote:
I'm not actually arguing that we force pop stars to put clothes on or that we should burn this shirt or whatever. I'm just arguing about how sexual objectification of women relates to sexism and gender inequality in general. Words, cultural expressions etc don't exist independently in some kind of vacuum.
We've come full circle and you seem to be saying that sex sells, for both men and women. Yes, we're in agreement. My problem is in the alarmist and exclusive way you talk about these supposed problems, like it's only females who experience this.

Doesn't The fact that you show acknowledgment but complete disinterest to the male equivalent of objectification demonstrate that objectification isn't actually a problem? Or are you saying that women are just too prissy to handle a cartoon half-naked body printed on a shirt?
This is why people complain that the feminism you subscribe to doesn't empower women, it makes them out to be delicate little flowers that can't handle a shirt.

Also, if a chick sees a cartoon of a naked chick and is offended by their portrayal, maybe they shouldn't identify with the picture. Maybe the cartoon wasn't a portrait drawn for them personally. Maybe the world doesn't revolve around them. Maybe they should go protest money in politics instead of protesting some hipsters fashion sense.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #372
Raad
'sup

Is wearing a shirt with blackface on it okay? A hipster wearing a shirt of racist stuff on it never existed during that time so then it is detached from history?

I've explicitly written, twice, that sexual objectification is not a problem in a isolated sense yet you keep arguing as if I've made that point.

Either you don't think systematic sexual objectification of women exists or you don't think it's a problem. Either way I don't know what to tell you anymore. Maybe read The Second Sex (some of the stuff is outdated and really colonial but it's also really thorough) or something about internalisation.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #373
_Hez_
Hez

Quote:
Is wearing a shirt with blackface on it okay? A hipster wearing a shirt of racist stuff on it never existed during that time so then it is detached from history?
I'd be fine with someone wearing a t-shirt of blackface, but I'd be much more comfortable if they wore a shirt of someone wearing a shirt of blackface.

Seriously though, I'm sure in 100 years time, during some costume party, some edgy kid will wear a shirt with bikini chicks on them, and then he'll end up on the front page of his local newspaper, the backlash of which forcing him to apologise.

No, seriously though, I've already told you multiple times to ignore the medium that the cartoon is printed on. Hell, ignore the fact that it's a cartoon, because there are actual examples of sexy women wearing bikinis in real life.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Are you offended? Are you now going to go to your local beach and tell all the women that they're doing the equivalent of wearing black-face?
Old 11-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #374
Raad
'sup

It's alright, I give my girlfriend a lecture on why she is oppressed and oppressing others every time we go swimming together. She enjoys it.

I'm not sure if you are intentionally misreading what I've written or if you don't understand the difference between a general social structure and individual choices acting within it. But I think we're done stinking up this thread now.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #375
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 26 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski

This discussion does not stink. Just imagine all the lurking bots thinking "wow deez guys dreamy intelligent"...
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #376
Alejandro4891

Alejandro4891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:52 AM   #377
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 26 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of

DrippingInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #378
Grindhead Records
Designated Driver

Oh man...
Grindhead Records is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #379
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Rep Power: 18 discombobulation beat up jewskidiscombobulation beat up jewski

Gold.
discombobulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:17 AM   #380
D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N.
ain't got no agua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro4891 View Post
D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:31 AM   #381
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

Exhumed plays in the last 45s of that video haha ^ watch the whole video though it's def worth it.

moar cause so damn funny :

Last edited by ceddeeoo; 11-24-2014 at 12:47 AM..
Old 11-24-2014, 01:26 AM   #382
RICE510

That was rad. Best television since wonder showzen.
RICE510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:11 AM   #383
Alejandro4891

i recently started watching the eric andre show as well, shit is ridiculously funny.
Alejandro4891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:40 AM   #384
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 26 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICE510 View Post
That was rad. Best television since wonder showzen.
Gotta love Wonder Showzen. Wish there was more of that show now.
DrippingInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #385
pooptastik
son of cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceddeeoo View Post

Exhumed plays in the last 45s of that video haha ^ watch the whole video though it's def worth it.

moar cause so damn funny :

the ads they have on the subway stations here are hilarious. i enjoy this show a lot.

this interview with Asa is fun - especially around 5:00. it seems its the only thing that's innocent in her life.

pooptastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #386
Oleg
mayhemafterdeath

http://kdvr.com/2014/11/15/dog-stows...-the-hospital/

look at that determination. amazing.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #387
F. Mercenary
Human Being Human

http://wgntv.com/2014/11/24/woman-sa...-in-head-dies/
F. Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:52 AM   #388
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

spit out my drink at 2:48 ahahhaa
Old 11-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #389
Skeetsystem
cash/money pronouns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceddeeoo View Post
Skeetsystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #390
veganshinigami
No.. not cockmuncher

Oh my god, The Eric Andre Show is the best recommendation I have ever got from this board. Blasted through first 2 seasons today. Fuuuuuuuckin awesome.
veganshinigami is offline   Reply With Quote