SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Primordial

Primordial Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 07-03-2005, 06:36 PM   #1
Life Sucks

So what kind of metal are most Primordial fans into?

This is an interesting question, because Primordial cannot be clearly classified as a specific genre, and have the potential to appeal to black metal fans as well as those who listen to bands such as Opeth, Novembre, Katatonia, etc. I personally am into black metal (and some death/thrash), and Primordial's folk/black metal aesthetic makes them a band that fits into my general tastes. There are a lot of black metal style riffs, and the music is also very dark and melodic, like a lot of black metal is. On the other hand, I've heard people into Opeth say that they think Primordial sounds like Opeth.
Life Sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:12 AM   #2
Fenrir
Heretic

I listen to almost every metal genre(black and death the most).
The thing that attached me to Primordial was that they dont use keyboards and still achive a feeling / atmosphere that can be pared with the most atmospheric band around; and the vocals are so powerful and full of emotions it's just amaizing.

it's interesting that my favorite band, along with Primordial, is Anaal Nathrakh :D
Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
Kenny Pentagram

Autopsy
Celtic Frost
Kenny Pentagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:47 AM   #4
GoG
cynical dreamer

way too many bands to mention, but meshuggah, dark tranquillity, isis, tool, alice in chains and bad religion are my favourites along with primordial.
then off course a lot of extreme metal during the winters, like burzum, strid, nortt, ildjarn and nokturnal mortum...
GoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:34 PM   #5
Twilightheart
www.sheol-magazine.com

Mainly Black Metal here (also Death and "Viking" Metal).... Naglfar, Moonsorrow, Bathory, etc.
Twilightheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #6
stephane

many different metal genre:

candlemass, memento mori, aeternus, king diamond/mercyful fate, the ghatering, my dying bride, therion, void of silence

and a few electro band:

front line assembly, (old) delerium, noise unit, and many ambient/instrumental movie soundtrack like ghost ship, blade runner, conan, event horizon, ...
stephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #7
pierced
drinkin' spree

I am into Death Metal and Black Metal (Just a few bands to mention: Hate Eternal, Zyklon, Immolation, Morbid Angel, Emperor, Myrkskog, Nile, Cryptopsy, Suffocation, Satyricon, Incantation, Enslaved, 1349, Malevolent Creation, Vader).
And I like Nevermore too.
pierced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:36 AM   #8
Sethlad

What do I like? well...

Metal:
I think Black, Doom and Folk metal are my favourite genres, but I can listen to almost any form of Metal as long as it is good. I am least tolerant to Power Metal, but there are some bands I like: Blind Guardian, Dragonforce... that's it.
And the 2 great classic IMO: Motorhead and Maiden of course.

I've been listening to metal since I was 9/10 and it's my musical "backbone".

Edit: had written a hugeass post cause I didn't notice the correct subject was only about metal... dumbass.

Last edited by Sethlad; 07-13-2005 at 11:41 AM..
Sethlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
Harvested Sorrow

My favorite genres of metal are death and black metal. I enjoy Primodial even though they've dropped their black metal influences because they have their own sound and it's very clear that they're a "true" band. Meaning they do their own thing and don't try to follow trends for money, and the music is brimming with emotion, which is always a plus. It also rules that they cover Darkthrone live. (Or use to at least...)
Harvested Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #10
Filthgrinder

From being a total black metal adept i am slowly broadening my taste in metal. I can't quite describe it but all the bands i have added to my list of favorites in the last three years or so all have something in common but they still differ way too much to consider them to be a seperate genre.
Bands such as Agalloch, My Dying Bride, Taake, Wyrd, Windir, Opeth and of course Primordial are all absolutely awesome and share a common feeling i'd say. It's that mix of dark, epic and melancholy atmosphere i guess that all these bands possess to a certain extent. The earlier albums of Aeternus have "it" as well and Ulver's Bergtatt too. Without having to use (a lot of) keyboards, these bands blow away 99% of the bands trying to force some atmosphere on the listeners by filling cd after cd with kitchy keyboard sounds. Nothing beats talent i guess...

Besides the aforementioned i have always been a big fan of Satyricon, Burzum, Judas iscariot, Abyssic Hate, Graveland, Keep of Kalessin but also Fear Factory and Amorphis.
Filthgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:49 AM   #11
Life Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by Harvested Sorrow
My favorite genres of metal are death and black metal. I enjoy Primodial even though they've dropped their black metal influences because they have their own sound and it's very clear that they're a "true" band. Meaning they do their own thing and don't try to follow trends for money, and the music is brimming with emotion, which is always a plus. It also rules that they cover Darkthrone live. (Or use to at least...)
I wouldn't say Primordial dropped their black metal influences completely. Even on The Gathering Wilderness, there is quite often some black metal influence in the guitar work, and even very occasionally in the vocals.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:53 AM   #12
Life Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by Filthgrinder

Besides the aforementioned i have always been a big fan of Satyricon, Burzum, Judas iscariot, Abyssic Hate, Graveland, Keep of Kalessin but also Fear Factory and Amorphis.
Graveland and Burzum are also among my favorite bands. I think both bands have a lot in common with Primordial. Especially Graveland, who often use multiple guitar tracks to create a great atmosphere, and aside from that have a clear folk influence in their music.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:37 PM   #13
Filthgrinder

Quote:
Originally posted by Life Sucks
Graveland and Burzum are also among my favorite bands. I think both bands have a lot in common with Primordial. Especially Graveland, who often use multiple guitar tracks to create a great atmosphere, and aside from that have a clear folk influence in their music.
I completely agree with you on that. When i try to explain people what Primordial is all about I tell 'em that if you would think of a cross between Anathema's The Silent Enigma and the work of Taake you'd have a rough idea. But you could substitute Taake for Graveland just as easily. It still never really adds up to primordial anyway (of course not!) but it gives people an idea.

By the way, has anyone checked out Void of Silence? I believe Nemtheanga joined them on their third and last album but i haven't heard the whole album yet. Just the excerpts that can be found on their website.
Filthgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:53 PM   #14
Demongrinder

i listen to everything from stuff like (new) Anathema to brutal Goregrind etc...
i've been listening to Primordial since their demo came out (when i first saw them)
They have been consistant with their releases from day 1! all have been good!

I would advise you to try and pick up the Void of Silence...its very good and Alans vocals are excellent...
Demongrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:24 AM   #15
Fenrir
Heretic

yes VoS are a very good band if you like doom metal, and the lyrics on the album are fucking good.

Quote:
Originally posted by Demongrinder

...Alans vocals are excellent...
hehe I think that goes without saying :D
Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:02 PM   #16
almighty

myself:

post- black metal (not straight BM like Darkthrone, but):
Absu, Arcturus, Bal-Sagoth, Evol, In The Woods..., Mayhem, Ophthalamia

as well as old favs from all (metal) genres:
Anthrax (older stuffs), Bolt Thrower, Carcass, Helloween (old), Lake of Tears, Megadeth, Slayer, Tiamat
almighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:10 AM   #17
Harvested Sorrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Life Sucks
I wouldn't say Primordial dropped their black metal influences completely. Even on The Gathering Wilderness, there is quite often some black metal influence in the guitar work, and even very occasionally in the vocals.
I'd have to disagree, there's not much black metal influence in the guitar work, and occasional screeching/screaming type vocals doesn't necessarily mean a black metal influence, either. They certainly don't seem to be showing any of the ideological signs of black metal, which is rather critical to the genre, also.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:20 AM   #18
Twilightheart
www.sheol-magazine.com

I would even say, with the new album Primordial have developed something like a new = their very own style of Metal. BM or not... just enjoy it like it is
Twilightheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:50 PM   #19
Harvested Sorrow

Quote:
Originally posted by almighty
myself:

post- black metal (not straight BM like Darkthrone, but):
Absu, Arcturus, Bal-Sagoth, Evol, In The Woods..., Mayhem, Ophthalamia

as well as old favs from all (metal) genres:
Anthrax (older stuffs), Bolt Thrower, Carcass, Helloween (old), Lake of Tears, Megadeth, Slayer, Tiamat
Err...post black metal would be Summoning. Not stuff like Absu and (I'm assuming you mean later) Mayhem.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:52 PM   #20
Harvested Sorrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Twilightheart
BM or not... just enjoy it like it is
Believe me, I do.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:14 AM   #21
Nephilim Son

my favourite band will always be Slayer.

besides that, I am mostly into black/death metal, but i enjoy other stuff like 90s rock or goth rock...anyway : morbid angel, my dying bride, emperor, summoning, limbonic art, necromantia, paradise lost (old), fields of the nephilim, danzig, celtic frost, entombed, ved buens ende, nocturnus, death and the list goes on forever hehe..
Nephilim Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:00 PM   #22
GhaudePhaede

I like "good" metal. And that may include any band from any genre as long as it appeals to me.

And I have a deep passion for all things 80's.
GhaudePhaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:59 AM   #23
yann

well, i bought my first primordial cd some years ago when i mostly was into black metal stuff... now i think most of that stuff sucks. why would i want to listen to bands who just scream about satan or the vikings?
primordial's one of the few bands that i still dig from back then - they're still one of my favorites. though i enjoy a lot of music really.. hatesphere, born from pain, brujeria, new model army, the clash, amorphis, whatever..
yann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:14 PM   #24
Vex Loser

My favorite bands are Iron Maiden, Taake (only "Nattestid" though), Katatonia, Primordial, Bathory, Rush, King Crimson, Carcass, The Beatles, Morbid Angel, Candlemass, Enslaved, and Emperor.
Vex Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:16 PM   #25
Life Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by yann
well, i bought my first primordial cd some years ago when i mostly was into black metal stuff... now i think most of that stuff sucks. why would i want to listen to bands who just scream about satan or the vikings?
primordial's one of the few bands that i still dig from back then - they're still one of my favorites. though i enjoy a lot of music really.. hatesphere, born from pain, brujeria, new model army, the clash, amorphis, whatever..
Black metal is great. I still love black metal, and I'm 28. Not all black metal is mindless satan worshiping, and a lot of the music is great. I would even call Primordial black metal, though they are by no means a pure black metal band. They are black metal in the way that Summoning or Tearstained are black metal.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:43 AM   #26
Muad'Dib

@Hypnos

your taste in music is great :) add My dying bride and Vintersorg and I will sign it immediately
Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:12 PM   #27
chrisser

I don´t start to list bands here, cause there are too much i listen to.

But the genres are mainly: Thrash/Death and Blackmetal.
chrisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:21 AM   #28
Harvested Sorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Sucks
Black metal is great. I still love black metal, and I'm 28. Not all black metal is mindless satan worshiping, and a lot of the music is great. I would even call Primordial black metal, though they are by no means a pure black metal band. They are black metal in the way that Summoning or Tearstained are black metal.
Not to mention most people seem to move from other genres of metal to black metal, not the opposite like he seems to think.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #29
Kati

I listen metal from one extreme to the other. I like old black metal (Celtic Frost, Bathory,..), death metal (Deicide, Death,..), folk/pagan metal (Moonsorrow,..), thrash/ speedmetal (Slayer, old Metallica, old Megadeth,..), hardcore (Biohazard, Madball, D-Ray..) and so on to the rock bands like Guns N' Roses. I'm not interested in what genre something is, I like it or I don't. Only bands I'm somehow managed to "forget" are Norweigian blackmetal bands. Mostly because I was not interested being "true" years ago.
Kati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:21 PM   #30
Life Sucks

Another band that has recently become one of my faves is Mourning Beloveth. They have the same kind of gloomy feel Primordial do, which is great. I love melodic, sad, depressing music.