SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #61
gourmetanthropophagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindmasterflesh View Post
a friend told me that catch 33 is basically ez drummer on drums cause haake couldn´t play it at the time they were in the studio... ist that true??
I thought it had something to do with him helping develop drumkit from hell and he wanted to demonstrate it...or something.
gourmetanthropophagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #62
Nun Stampede!
Lives in a houseboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertroll View Post
Er... they handle it just fine on my CD.
I'm sure you really like how it sounds, but the bottom line is that it should have been recorded with 8 strings. I don't know if you've ever tried to record a guitar that is dropped beyond it's capability, but I've seen some friends do it and it is a bitch. Usually the guitar with detune itself as you play the riff, especially with those thick, palm muted chords. I bet recording that CD was three in a half cunts rolled in a ball of shit (or a pain in the ass in real people words).
Nun Stampede! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #63
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nun Stampede! View Post
I'm sure you really like how it sounds, but the bottom line is that it should have been recorded with 8 strings. I don't know if you've ever tried to record a guitar that is dropped beyond it's capability, but I've seen some friends do it and it is a bitch. Usually the guitar with detune itself as you play the riff, especially with those thick, palm muted chords. I bet recording that CD was three in a half cunts rolled in a ball of shit (or a pain in the ass in real people words).
+1. Thicker strings would fix tension issues but at that point it would warm up the sound too much and kill the saturation of the gain.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:35 AM   #64
quartertone
Academmik musition

Oh, sure it's a bitch to do with such low tension. I just mean that whatever obstacles they might have had to overcome, the sound they got is still great, and I don't think they improved on it.
quartertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #65
YellowBrutalizer
Registered PoUser

I wouldn't sleep till the coming of FT's Special Defects and Mehshugaaaaaah's new record

Fuck yeah
YellowBrutalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #66
analredwing
dumb user name

meshuggah is quite possibly the most boring and overated band ever. every "song" sounds damn near the same, theres virtually no key changes. the "odd" timings really arent that odd.admitting to liking these guys is like admitting to liking static x, only it's pretencious people who like them instead of ICP fans. (old school meshuggah is good though )
analredwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #67
Guiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by analredwing View Post
meshuggah is quite possibly the most boring and overated band ever. every "song" sounds damn near the same, theres virtually no key changes. the "odd" timings really arent that odd.admitting to liking these guys is like admitting to liking static x, only it's pretencious people who like them instead of ICP fans. (old school meshuggah is good though )
Guiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #68
Rottenatomy
IMOCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertroll View Post
I never saw the point of that. The original is one of my favourites of theirs (just listening to it yesterday, actually), but the re-recording just sounded sluggish and Jens sounded strained. The production on the original is great, why fix it if it ain't broke?

Also, no mention of I? It may not be a full-length, but it's definitely one of my fave releases by them. It has everything that makes them great - crushing slow parts, fast rhythmic workouts, atmospheric interludes... And it's superb in its compositional form too.
the sound on the reissue is absurdly better, wieland.

I wish Obzen sounded like it.
Rottenatomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #69
quartertone
Academmik musition

I'll take another listen. The one time I did, I found it sluggish and missing the edge of the original.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #70
Oleg
mayhemafterdeath

It's really a matter of preference. The re-release was the first Meshuggah album I really got into to and I'm glad that it had good clarity and a hard punch. Hearing the original for the first time had me baffled as to why they re-recorded it. The best thing about the original is the drum sound. I've never heard drums sound so raw and clear at the same time. The guitars don't have as much edge, but it works well for the album, what with all the slow/mid-paced grooves and drawn out passages.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #71
Despondent.Soul
Slaughtering the Inn

Chaosphere was my first album by them and still is my favourite. Saw them live some years back on the nothing tour. Really awesome playing Haake FTW! I remember buying Chaosphere back when it was the new album, i was totally confused. Never had i heard such music before and was still a newcomer to metal anyway. But then one day it clicked for me.
Despondent.Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #72
quartertone
Academmik musition

OK, listened to the re-recording again and it's exactly as I remembered it - big and fat, but not as aggressive. Heavy, but in a slightly lumbering way. And the drums sound bigger, but less organic. So I'll stick with the original, thanks.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #73
RICE510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nun Stampede! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Doodl3.2 View Post
+1. Thicker strings would fix tension issues but at that point it would warm up the sound too much and kill the saturation of the gain.
Sorry the correct answer was don't needlessly be a retard and downtune your guitars past C sharp. You're not getting the aural impression of "bass" past that point anyways.
RICE510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #74
TheBlackFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
Bonerific year for us Thordendal fans.
Plus he has his own signature amps coming out this year as well.
TheBlackFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #75
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICE510 View Post
Sorry the correct answer was don't needlessly be a retard and downtune your guitars past C sharp. You're not getting the aural impression of "bass" past that point anyways.
That's so fucking dumb it's not even worth arguing.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:41 AM   #76
Somnium
Obscured Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbornmutilation View Post
Plus he has his own signature amps coming out this year as well.
Whaaaat? What company is making them?
Somnium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:36 AM   #77
RICE510

Quote:
Not at all.

Your flippance here highlights the density of your ignorance.

You go past C-sharp... MAYbe B... You just end up in that punch-less farty/airy zone of bottom end that no longer 'feels' low. Just feels like a lot of throaty air.

Learn to hear/record/notberetarded.
RICE510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:59 AM   #78
Claude

Quote:
Not at all.

Your flippance here highlights the density of your ignorance.

You go past C-sharp... MAYbe B... You just end up in that punch-less farty/airy zone of bottom end that no longer 'feels' low. Just feels like a lot of throaty air.

Learn to hear/record/notberetarded.
It has a lot more to do with soundscape and musical aesthetic than it actually has to do with trying to out-heavy the rest of the genre. Leaving out the emotional/cathartic relationship inherent in different keys (No two keys feel the same IMO but that's a whole other can of beans), I think it's obvious that some musical ideas favor certain octave ranges over others. Watch and listen to their live DVD on a decent system, particularly the songs from Nothing, and tell me they don't manage to pull off the sound very well.

There's a reason why their Ibanez 8 stringers are made of hard ash and have a 30.5 inch scale. Does balance of tone become more fragile in those frequencies? Definitely. I just don't agree with the sentiment that it will Inevitably sound like dog ass; It's a very closed minded approach to the guitar.

In the end it has very little to do with how low they are tuning and more to do with how they manage to maintain the notes. The low E on a standard tuned guitar would sound horrible on sub 15" scale instrument as well. It's different scale lenghts and tensions for different sounds/applications. The bass player actually plays in unison with the reat of the band, not an octave lower. Only then does it become physically impossible to control/manipulate the notes very well because A) The scale lenght and string tension required is impractical and B) The fundamentals are too low to be properly heard by human ears.

Last edited by Claude; 01-21-2011 at 04:06 AM..
Old 01-21-2011, 04:21 AM   #79
brett

What I hate about them is how Haake can't resist to have a cymbal of some kind playing straight quarter notes for the near entirety of their songs. Makes the drums and the song in general sound alot more boring than it should.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #80
Rottenatomy
IMOCC

Quote:
thats not dumb, that is true.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #81
phagist_
scatter the ember

words cannot express my excitement for this.
phagist_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #82
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 23 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski
Quote:
Originally Posted by phagist_ View Post
words cannot express my excitement for this.
try pictures, then :P

maybe take an advanced class from De Profundis ;)
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #83
TheBlackFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnium View Post
Whaaaat? What company is making them?
DAR amps. Here's some promotional video on it.

Sounds incredibly compressed to me, but I am going to assume they used the cam's mic to record that.

and here's some information on the amp's and pedal:

Quote:
DAR AMPS - FUTURE BREED MACHINES

Future Breed Machines is a new line of innovative products from DAR Amps that represent the leading edge of the industry......A new line of products that blend unique tube based designs with the very latest in DSP based technology.

By combining the advanced engineering and technology from DAR Amps, with the real world experience from two of metal’s most renowned artists, we are bringing to market a new series of products that address many issues faced by modern guitarists while delivering the most crushing and highly sought after tones imaginable.

The initial Future Breed Machines product lineup includes:

FBM-PX - Fredrik Thordendal Signature Preamp Pedal

The FBM-PX is an advanced 4 channel tube Preamp with and an industry leading Impulse Response engine that delivers Fredrik’s trademark crushing Meshuggah tones in a very compact floor based form factor. This pedal will deliver the same tones and feel as a player’s traditional head and cabinet based rig, while being able to fit into a backpack.

The FBM-PX is the ultimate no compromise way to build a travel, back-up or practice rig when run through in-ear or stage monitors. Optionally it can also be run through a power amp and cab for a traditional setup, complementary to monitors.

4 custom voiced tube preamps (Clean, Crunch, Rhythm, Lead)
Industry’s highest resolution (10,000 point) custom impulse responses (IR’s) created by Jocke Skog, which include power amp, cabinet, and mic combinations
Adaptive Dynamics on IR’s to address the changing behavior of power amps and cabinets when pushed
Full stereo operation
Adjustable delay control for simulating a second guitarist on second channel
All aluminum construction
2 line - 20 character illuminated display
Full midi control with locking MIDI in and DIN thru
Illuminated Carling switches
Custom voiced advanced noise gate
Channel assignable FX loop (series/parallel/off)
Balanced I/O for re-amping and 4-cable fx processor integration
Pre-IR outputs for interfacing to power amps
Post IR balanced outputs for interfacing to mixers/monitors/PA
Headphone out
USB interface and PC/MAC editor for management of IR’s
Global voltage selector
Hand built in California, USA

FBM-X

The FBM-X is the first product in its class that allows guitarists, bassists, and engineers to run the industry’s highest resolution Impulse Responses without the need for computers and their associated latency issues. No more inconsistent live sound, stage mics, or having to mic multiple cabinets in a recording session.

The FBM-X is also an ideal companion to the many modellers/fx processors available today, as it adds tremendous flexibility in tone shaping and addresses one of the most noted complaints with existing products, the limitation of their cabinet simulations.

Industry’s highest resolution (10,000 point) custom impulse responses (IR’s) created by Jocke Skog, which include power amp, cabinet, and mic combinations
Adaptive Dynamics on IR’s to address the changing behavior of power amps and cabinets when pushed
Full stereo operation
Black powder coated chassis
2 line - 20 character illuminated display for IR management
Full midi control with locking MIDI and DIN thru
Pre-IR outputs for interfacing to power amps in parallel to IR’s

FBM-XL

The FBM-XL contains all the features of the FBM-X and adds a powerful load box which allows for the running of high power tube heads without the need for cabinets, drastically reducing the overall amount of gear musicians need to take to gigs.

The FBM-XL is also a very useful tool for the studio, where it is commonplace to have multiple amplifier heads in the control room, by allowing them to run silently and safely without attached cabinets.

Same features as FBM-X with the additon of a Load box that supports up to 100 watt amplifiers

FBM-100HX - Fredrik Thordendal Signature Amplifier Head

The FBM-100HX is DAR Amps’ new flagship amplifier. It is one of the most technologically advanced amps in the industry and delivers Fredrik’s trademark crushing Meshuggah tones and beyond. It also includes the very latest in DSP processing with an industry leading Impulse Response engine. This is the amp for those looking for the ultimate in high gain modern metal tone. From beautiful cleans all the way to highest gain of levels, this signature delivers in all aspects without compromise.

100 Watt or 50 Watt Stereo Class A operation (assignable per channel) via 4 6c33B power tubes
Auto Bias power tubes with failure indicator lights
4 Channel custom voiced tube preamps (Clean, Crunch, Rhythm, Lead)
Adjustable variable delay control for simulating a second guitarist on second channel
All aluminum black anodized shell
2 line - 20 character illuminated display for IR management
Custom voiced channel assignable advanced noise gate
Channel assignable mono FX loop (series/parallel/off) with send/return levels
Channel assignable stereo FX loop (series/parallel/off) with send/return levels
Balanced I/O for re-amping and 4-cable fx processor integration with send/return levels
Headphone out
Pre-IR outputs for interfacing to power amps
Tuner out
DI out
Custom DMX 512 Lighting controller with super accurate sensitivity control

FBM-100H - Fredrik Thordendal Signature Amplifier Head

The FBM-100H is a brutal 4 channel Amplifier Head that delivers Fredrik’s trademark crushing Meshuggah tones and more, in a straight forward, cost effective and no nonsense package.

100 Watt Class A via 4 6c33B power tubes
Auto Bias power tubes with failure indicator lights
4 Channel custom voiced tube preamps (Clean, Crunch, Rhythm, Lead)
All aluminum black anodized shell
Custom voiced advanced noise gate
Channel assignable FX loop (series/parallel/off)
Balanced I/O for re-amping and 4-cable fx processor integration
Global voltage selector
TheBlackFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #84
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottenatomy View Post
thats not dumb, that is true.
I guess it is, if you play guitars scaled for midgets.

Those DAR amps look pretty cool. Although the 100HX is overkill on the options for me, I wouldn't mind test driving the "bare bones" one.

Last edited by Claude; 01-21-2011 at 03:02 PM..
Old 01-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #85
Rottenatomy
IMOCC

Quote:
I guess it is, if you play guitars scaled for midgets.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #86
Phidion

Lol @ the people talking shit about Haake´s skills.
I seen the guy play up and close and it is nothing short of amazing.
Nail "Bleed" on drums and then come back talking.

Really down to earth and cool people in that band too...
Phidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #87
gary cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander View Post
Cool.

And this:

"They also revealed that they would not be mixing the album, instead bringing in Daniel Bergstrand who worked with the band on my two favorite records of theirs, Chaosphere & Destroy Erase Improve."

I was not completly satisfied with Obzen production, specially with the drums sound.
Exactly, yes.

Obzen has the same snare sample as fucking Ziltoid the Omniscient. That kills me. Obzen also bored me and I feel like one or two members of the band were on autopilot (listen to the guitar solo during the first track).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtbringer View Post
I completely fail to understand how anyone could not call "Destroy Erase Improve" their best album. Their absolute pinnacle, containing their most diverse, complex yet catchy songs!
YES.

On the subject of Nothing VS the Nothing Remaster... I prefer the original. It is more raw, more natural.

Last edited by gary cancer; 01-21-2011 at 04:30 PM..
gary cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #88
Ander

Yeah, Fredrik has not regained its former levels on solos Obzen... I think on Nothing, Chaosphere, or DEI they really brought something and "rose" from the rhythm section, on their last album they pass almost unnoticed... I love the one on Bleed though.

For the drums, I feel that they still used DFH like on Catch 33...
Ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #89
quartertone
Academmik musition

The closing solo in Dancers is great too.

I don't know if Bergstrand is the man to get a better drum sound... two albums I can think of that he contributed to, Demigod and Reticulated, both have pretty puny drums. I think ObZen had a perfect production - for that classic Meshuggah sound, of course, which has been pretty stable since DEI.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #90
Nun Stampede!
Lives in a houseboat

Quote:
I don't even know how to wrap my head around the idiocy that is this post. Are you implying that no band should ever tune past C Sharp? What? Dude... What? Just shut up.

Not gonna dignify this with a response actually. Have a nice day. I really hope everything works out for you.
Nun Stampede! is offline   Reply With Quote