SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
Old 09-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #1291
(((OdiumNostrum

Re: Good TV Shows?

bumping this as some people cant internet

Anyway, check out The Keepers if you dug The Jinx/Making a Murderer, basically in a similar vein, coming from the same team of creators.

Just finished with the first season (not sure if they will continue) of Manhunt: Unabomber, solid series especially if you are not completely familiar with the case.

Ye, new Narcos was rad also waiting for these two Netflix (potential) bangers:

(((OdiumNostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #1292
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Rep Power: 22 Vadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewski

OI!
Vadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #1293
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Rep Power: 22 Vadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewski

Check out The Confession Tapes too
Old 09-15-2017, 05:33 PM   #1294
Monsieur Lebeauxxx
THRILLHO

mindhunter will be bangin' bc of anna torv alone
Monsieur Lebeauxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #1295
(((OdiumNostrum

The Confession Tapes slipped under my radar, the premise sounds engaging, cheers. I also binged the first 5 eps of Mr. Mercedes, had my doubts going in even as a Gleeson fan, but its definitely a well made piece of tv, nothing crazily original tho.

Avoid Room 104, style over substance ordeal, hell, its not even that stylish either.

American Horror Story morphed into a show for teenagers seasons ago, but I was curious what they will give them on the plate in the new season. Anti Trump hysteria, go figure.

Anyone into Ozark? Was thinking about trying it, but it seems too Breaking Bad lite.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #1296
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 26 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski

Ozark is alright, but nothing to write home about. I'm in love with Ruth, though. Both the character and the actress.
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #1297
Gangrene

finished house of cards recently. it was a chore in season 3 but other than that and clare's breaking the 4th wall cringe it was really good

been watching entourage. it was okay at first but i'm liking it now. it's basically a hollywood version of silicon valley
Gangrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:30 AM   #1298
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 23 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski

if you like Cohen brothers style comedies, i recommend Patriot

quality writing, good and stylish directing, solid actors, great characters. the only negatives, imo, are the cliffhanger ending (season 2 is apparently confirmed, so it's not a big problem), and it's really really obvious the "Luxembourg" shots were done in Prague :)
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:54 PM   #1299
(((OdiumNostrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtbringer View Post
Ozark is alright, but nothing to write home about. I'm in love with Ruth, though. Both the character and the actress.
Good to know, even Bateman, nothing against him but seeing him in something non-comedic is not on my bucket list either. Snatching Patriot as well.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:01 PM   #1300
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Patriot was a really good shout SH, nice one. Takes a few episodes to find its stride but ends up carving a whole niche of its own. Really well-written and excellently cast, obviously pretty far-fetched most of the time but it's fully aware of itself. Great stuff
Old 10-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #1301
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

Has anyone seen any episodes from Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams ?

It looks awesome and I just saw the trailer for the first time today and some episodes are already out. Some fantastic cast in this. And I love philip k dick's work.

and before you say "wow looks like black mirror copy", yes it is a sci fi episodic thing but every episode is from a short story by Philip K Dick (Do androids dream of electric sheep, ubik, a scanner darkly, minority report, etc...) and I have high expectations :D
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #1302
Gangrene

wow looks like black mirror copy
Old 10-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #1303
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
wow looks like black mirror copy
not that that's a bad thing tho... and black mirror newest season wasnt that good. it wouldve sucked ass if it werent for san junipero
Old 10-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #1304
F. Mercenary
Human Being Human

Been watching and re-watching the first season of Xavier: Renegade Angel these past weeks, perfectly made and hilarious. On the other hand, the second season felt forced in many ways and wasn't good.

F. Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:17 AM   #1305
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

new mr robot was good
Old 10-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #1306
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Mindhunter was oddly engaging
Old 10-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #1307
(((OdiumNostrum

Mindhunter was indeed good but at the end it made me longing for some new HQ real crime docu series in this vein and potentially under the Netflix camp. I mean the RL interviews with Kemper, who is a fascinating character and other alive serial killer patrons. It has been decades since most of the interviews with dem sickos, so an update would be most welcomed.

Nathan for You started out quite spectacularly, that last Kimmel bit was amazing.

Against my best judgement I stormed thru the first two episodes of the new SyFy lite series Ghost Wars, cripplingly bad on all fronts.

Started with Patriot, 2 episodes in and I am still adapting to the flow of it, its just so unorthodox, but after it settles, I think I will enjoy it a lot.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #1308
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((OdiumNostrum View Post
Mindhunter was indeed good but at the end it made me longing for some new HQ real crime docu series in this vein and potentially under the Netflix camp. I mean the RL interviews with Kemper, who is a fascinating character and other alive serial killer patrons. It has been decades since most of the interviews with dem sickos, so an update would be most welcomed.

Nathan for You started out quite spectacularly, that last Kimmel bit was amazing.

Against my best judgement I stormed thru the first two episodes of the new SyFy lite series Ghost Wars, cripplingly bad on all fronts.

Started with Patriot, 2 episodes in and I am still adapting to the flow of it, its just so unorthodox, but after it settles, I think I will enjoy it a lot.
i love nathan for you !

also new season of mr robot so far (first two episodes) is really good, on par or even better than first season. Can safely say it puts season 2 to the dust already.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #1309
Alejandro4891

i watched ozark recently. i enjoyed it, but i didn't think it was amazing. most likely gonna watch mind hunter next.
Alejandro4891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #1310
Gangrene

new curb and mr robot are excellent
Old 10-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #1311
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Rep Power: 18 discombobulation beat up jewskidiscombobulation beat up jewski

- New Curb is great
- New Nathan For You is great
- New Mr. Robot is great
- New Louis Theroux specials have all been superb so far, he continues to lack a combo breaker in his string of quality output
- The Apprentice (UK) continues to be the guilty pleasure of my generation
- Rick and Morty was great
- Bojack Horseman season 4 was a bit patchy but had some rewarding dark deep dives at points which overall more than made up for the treading water bits
- Mr. Mercedes was entertaining but retrospectively a bit vanilla. Villain was almost a cheap copy of Elliot from Mr. Robot
- A few episodes into The Sinner, it's good so far but there's great potential for it getting silly convoluted if they're not smart about it
- The Handmaid's Tale had promise in its premise but it was so variable in tone that it totally fucked me off. Overall I thought it was weak and lacking in real substance, actually. Only the flashback episodes had any proper meat and coherence to them.
- The Man In The High Castle season 1 was just silly shite, stylistically OK for what it is, but the plot was nonsense and there was no character depth across the board. Definitely style over substance.
- Master of None both seasons were great, particularly as a international concoction myself I can empathise a lot with Dev. Also, alllooooooooora!
- OJ Made in America was superb, particularly at filling in the social context to the criminal system in a way that I have not seen other real-life crime documentaries do (I doubt many other cases really had that kind of social context too)
- Olive Kitteridge was short and entertaining, well paced with good character development and a slowburn plot that all worked well together.

- Going to finish The Sinner and then probably check out Electric Dreams and/or the real-crime docs like The Keepers/Confession tapes

- What other recent shit have I been missing?
discombobulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #1312
(((OdiumNostrum

Aye, up to date with Curb (and Mr. Robot) as well, I heard some whining about being a bit forced, but as a huge fan, I cant complain.

Nothing much to add, I tried Good Doctor, the story about the main protagonist (autistic savant surgeon) is actually quite intriguing and well written but its mixed with your regular corny hospital drama with formulaic and obnoxious characters. Still probably enough engaging to continue.

All 3 parts of the new Louie docus were indeed good, his opus so far is without a flaw, even that Scientology piece was good, the subject was already chewed up before he decided to hop on the train as well tho.

I would still highly recommend The Young Pope if anyone is in the mood for something different, visually stunning, something grand.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #1313
Gangrene

people whine about everything. yeah, there are a couple forced lines in new curb, but theyre there for new watchers.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:26 PM   #1314
Popegina
Lactation Consultant

I just get super high and watch Big Mouth on repeat
Popegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:08 PM   #1315
Gangrene

stranger things 2 was solid
Old 11-01-2017, 07:43 AM   #1316
Cloaca
IS HE GONE YET

Quote:
Originally Posted by discombobulation View Post
- The Man In The High Castle season 1 was just silly shite, stylistically OK for what it is, but the plot was nonsense and there was no character depth across the board. Definitely style over substance.
Can't say I agree, I enjoyed this series (season 1 and 2) heaps, probably the best one I have watched in the last year or two. I was skeptical that they could make something good enough considering the story of the book that it's based on (*ahem* Preacher) but I thought it delivered hard.
Cloaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #1317
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 23 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski

holy shit is the new Star Trek awful. i expected it to be bad, but not the worst Trek to date. other than the captain(s), the cast is pretty bad, and the writing is somehow worse than even the worst of Voyager and Enterprise. they even managed to somehow ruin the Klingons, the intro, the themes and atmosphere etc. and i'm not even a particularly big ST fan.

what's even funnier, The Orville is a much better Star Trek show than STD (an apt acronym)
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #1318
(((OdiumNostrum

Stranger Things S2 was decent, then again, I was also not a big fan of S1. Dialogs are continually being very mundane, antics of the kids turning from amusing to annoying fast, predictable plot etc. Cant understand why a ton of people think that the show is the second coming of Jesus Christ. Meh.

Will probably start with Gunpowder soon, a solid cast and BBC are giving a lot of promise.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #1319
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

Old 11-03-2017, 06:46 AM   #1320
_Hez_
Hez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaca View Post
Can't say I agree, I enjoyed this series (season 1 and 2) heaps, probably the best one I have watched in the last year or two. I was skeptical that they could make something good enough considering the story of the book that it's based on (*ahem* Preacher) but I thought it delivered hard.
Watched the first episode and put it on the back burner recently. I guess I'll give it a proper chance.
_Hez_ is offline   Reply With Quote