SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 03:17 AM   #1081
De Profoundis
۞CC♆LTIST

Rep Power: 27 De Profoundis is a glorious beacon of lightDe Profoundis is a glorious beacon of lightDe Profoundis is a glorious beacon of lightDe Profoundis is a glorious beacon of lightDe Profoundis is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Good TV Shows?

I wasn't expecting you to crush my fucking dreams and hopes like that ffs.
De Profoundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #1082
D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N.
ain't got no agua

The guy who wrote TD did so under the Hemingway school of thought that you intentionally omit parts of a story that still remain noticeable in the undercurrent. This is supposed to strengthen what's visible while making you feel something that you don't quite understand, encouraging you to connect the gaps.

He definitely created a story with supernatural/surreal elements, just because he chose not to focus the story on them doesn't mean they're not there. Considering all of the theories people came up with, it looks like he was successful in getting people to fill in the omissions. The story after all was just about a couple of detectives in the Bayou tracking a cornpone serial killer. He got a lot out of allusion and symbolism.
D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #1083
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 23 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N. View Post
He definitely created a story with supernatural/surreal elements, just because he chose not to focus the story on them doesn't mean they're not there.
huh? from what i understand and as _hez_ stated, non of the weird/supernatural stuff is anything more than simple hallucinations or nods to some stories the creator/writer thought were cool (but not "good" as literature). from the creator's mouth (paraphrased :P): there is no supernatural in TD (as disappointing as that is)
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #1084
Azathoth Shrugged
uniquely unqualified

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...-on-season-1/3

Quote:
I don't know where you are in working on season 2, but has any of the reaction to this season informed what you're doing with the next?

Nic Pizzolatto: It's informed exactly one thing. It's that I realize I need to keep being strange. Don't play the next one straight.

Can you tell me anything at all about season 2?

Nic Pizzolatto: Okay. This is really early, but I'll tell you (it's about) hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.
Azathoth Shrugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #1085
D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N.
ain't got no agua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
huh? from what i understand and as _hez_ stated, non of the weird/supernatural stuff is anything more than simple hallucinations or nods to some stories the creator/writer thought were cool (but not "good" as literature). from the creator's mouth (paraphrased :P): there is no supernatural in TD (as disappointing as that is)
When I say supernatural/surreal elements I don't mean full on supernatural shit, like Cthulhu. He's said that there's supernatural thought and he came up with a finale where they disappeared into some cosmic void, but decided that going full bore supernatural would've been childish and a cop out to the overall realist story about a couple of detectives.
D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #1086
Azathoth Shrugged
uniquely unqualified

Hidden worlds, bruh.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #1087
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 23 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N. View Post
When I say supernatural/surreal elements I don't mean full on supernatural shit, like Cthulhu. He's said that there's supernatural thought and he came up with a finale where they disappeared into some cosmic void, but decided that going full bore supernatural would've been childish and a cop out to the overall realist story about a couple of detectives.
as much of a "cop out" that would be, it would've been 1000 times better than cohle's sudden 180° "the light wins" crap
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #1088
_Hez_
Hez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
as much of a "cop out" that would be, it would've been 1000 times better than cohle's sudden 180° "the light wins" crap
Alternatively, it could have ended on a really sombre note like the end of No Country for Old Men. I would've been cool with that too.
Anything supernatural though, I would've been like "wtf just happened".
_Hez_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #1089
Skull Knight

New episode of Hannibal was even more stylish than the last and it's a pretty good build up for the mid-season finale. I still wish we didn't get to see that opening scene from the season opener : / ... any reason why the episode titles this season are Japanese cuisine related while last season was French? Is it that way in the books?

Think this's the best TV show on air at the moment?
Skull Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #1090
_Hez_
Hez

Our complaints of Hannibal's last season are still here in the new season (psychopaths errywhere), but damn I'm really enjoying the show.
It's so easy to look past the silly premise of an empathetic autist with crime solving super powers and murders happening every episode, when the show is just so fucking stylish, and it has plenty of dialogue. Bitches love dialogue, especially when its said so calmly and eloquently. It's badass.
_Hez_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #1091
(((OdiumNostrum

I am also thoroughly enjoying the new Hannibal season. Much more sophisticated than the first, all over the place, one. I am even starting to tolerate most of the cast (I only liked Mads/Scully from the start) with the exception of that young female psychiatrist. They presented her as the most (or one of the most) respected female doctor in her field inside the country but all of her lines are so plain, boring and ordinary plus her actions are giving the expression of her having a squirrel sized brains. Very unfitting to her previously established image.
(((OdiumNostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #1092
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Rep Power: 22 Vadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewski

seriously devastated to learn that Colbert will be taking Lettermans chair, which means no more Colbert Report ie the end of one of the most consistently funny and superbly-written shows and characters ever to exist. Fuck Letterman
Vadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #1093
gein

Vadge
gein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #1094
Skull Knight

Last week I finished watched Louie season 3 where at the end of the season he's offered Letterman's show to take over, weird coincidence.
Skull Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #1095
Works0fheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadge View Post
seriously devastated to learn that Colbert will be taking Lettermans chair, which means no more Colbert Report ie the end of one of the most consistently funny and superbly-written shows and characters ever to exist. Fuck Letterman
Well, at least the Late Show will be a little better now... I think he'll do fine.
Works0fheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #1096
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Rep Power: 22 Vadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewski

Yeah, I realize its time for the dude to move on, and as you said can hopefully improve on that format (which doesn't interest me in the slightest, nevertheless...), I'll just be real sad to see the end of TCR. I don't think I've missed an episode in like, two years. That makes me sad as fuck I guess but fuck it. And I'm not even from the US! The pedigree of the writing and presentation of that show remains, in my eyes, flawless. No Late Show will ever top it as far as I'm concerned but yeah he will do well no matter what he does anyway
Old 04-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #1097
Works0fheart

I didn't even realize that The Colbert Report was still going. I used to watch it years ago, and I even have his book around here somewhere. It's probably pretty ignorant of me to say, but his show was the only thing even remotely close to news that I ever watched a decent amount of and it was always pretty damned funny. I don't know how I came to the point I'm at now, but I just don't watch TV at all anymore so I'm really out of the loop with anything that's been going on with that show. Hell, I found out about him replacing Letterman from an Email news article on the home page.

Like you said though, he's a witty guy, he'll do fine. Him and Conan O' Brien were the only two people of that style of TV host that I've ever liked really. Jon Stewart was always decent too but never really as entertaining to me as the other two...
Old 04-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #1098
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

I just download select shows each week. Colbert was hilarious 4 TIMES A WEEK SON, without fail. Conan is cool too, I would watch an episode every once in a while if I see there's a cool guest on and im bored or some shit, but man hes got some shitty writers these days. Its real hard to do that shit 4 times a week for sure and i'm sure the kind of crap these guys are writing to fill in that time just makes it harder. If you ever do anything in your life, watch all of The Larry Sanders Show, if you haven't already. You will thank me for it
Old 04-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #1099
Azathoth Shrugged
uniquely unqualified

The Following started out so well, but just completely went to shit this season.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #1100
Works0fheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadge View Post
If you ever do anything in your life, watch all of The Larry Sanders Show, if you haven't already. You will thank me for it
Going to try "acquire" this somewhere right quick. I'm so behind on tv shows...

I haven't even watched Breaking Bad yet. Not one episode :l
Old 04-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #1101
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Rep Power: 18 discombobulation beat up jewskidiscombobulation beat up jewski

Possibly the funniest show I have ever seen, and I don't usually watch hidden-camera shit but...

The UK version of Impractical Jokers, filmed in Glasgow. Some of the parts are just hysterical. Bit difficult to find but there are streaming links here and there. Second season just finished.
discombobulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:27 AM   #1102
F. Mercenary
Human Being Human

Barely started watching 'House of Cards' a few days ago, in 22 episodes, and godfuckingchrist I want to punch Spacey's character and his cuntass wife in the throat. An entertaining show nonetheless, but fuck!
F. Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #1103
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

Rep Power: 19 cry0fth3carr0ts beat up jewskicry0fth3carr0ts beat up jewski

i like that curly haired fella on QI
cry0fth3carr0ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #1104
SwedeMetal
Total Dilf!

A show hasn't broken the fourth wall as well as House of Cards since Moonlighting.
SwedeMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #1105
Despondent.Soul
Slaughtering the Inn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azathoth Shrugged View Post
The Following started out so well, but just completely went to shit this season.
dude that show went to hell after the first couple episodes in season 1, we continued to watch it for the lols. But season 2 just continued at the same shitty level and the joke got old...
Despondent.Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #1106
(((OdiumNostrum

Lol at people not watching Vikings, the main badassery on tv right now.

And Fallon has by far the worst comedy writers of them all. He looks like a nice guy but he is trying to be funny and its not working at all, most of his bits and monologues are quite bad. He has the best music guests tho.

Didn't know about the UK Impractical Jokers, loved the US version tho some parts were so obviously scripted. Have to give it a try.
(((OdiumNostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #1107
SwedeMetal
Total Dilf!

The Blood Eagle scene was sooo sweet.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #1108
Corpseifier

Been watching Robot wars and Scrapheap challenge for the past weeks. Been 10 years since I watched that on the old Discovery channel.
Corpseifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #1109
Oleg
mayhemafterdeath

Anybody watch Legit with Jim Jefferies? I didn't even realize he had a show, I just saw it as I opened up Netflix. How is it?
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #1110
SwedeMetal
Total Dilf!

I like it a lot. I was pissed to realize they moved it to fx2 so my dvr didn't start recording season 2.