SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 116 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #16681
Dizzy Alpaca Party
My body is ready

Re: what are you listening to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucienLaTulipe View Post

https://thetruemefitis.bandcamp.com/album/emberdawn

Hugely inspired by finnish death metal as you guessed, but with its own twist. Think Adramelech meets Stench meets Dawn. Well crafted songs, cool guitar voicings and a sense of melody that reminds the old swedish bm/melodic dm scene. Plus a rad cover by Turkka G. Rantanen. Definitively a cool album!
yeah, I'm diggin this.
Dizzy Alpaca Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #16682
(((OdiumNostrum

too epic for weaklings, it would be even better if they would drop those cringy hard rock solos, but hey, you cant have everything

(((OdiumNostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:18 AM   #16683
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 26 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((OdiumNostrum View Post
too epic for weaklings
Guess that’s supposed to mean they’re Nazis, what a retarded statement.
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:55 AM   #16684
(((OdiumNostrum

Not sure how did you manage to link WW1 themed band to Nazis, but such silly tantrums are always welcomed :D
(((OdiumNostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #16685
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 26 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski

Just had a quick glance, they’re on some “purity”-label with Baise Ma Hache, plus that imagery and your comment... Yeah, seems super far-fetched they’re Nazis.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #16686
LucienLaTulipe

^ You're unfair, they just have a modern war imagery, a german name and german songtitles although they come from US, and they call themselves Generalfeldmarschall Kriegshammer (lol) and Wachtmeister Verwustung (re-lol). This has obviously nothing to do with nazis.

Concerning the music, not my style of black metal.

Last edited by LucienLaTulipe; 11-02-2019 at 01:35 PM..
LucienLaTulipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #16687
The Duff

I’m really enjoying horror god. Haven’t seen them mentioned here.
The Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #16688
ziel

Remembering the highschool days.

ziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:46 AM   #16689
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 22 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski

this is pretty bad. better than the last, but still awful. the sound is so sterile and the riffs are so boring it sounds as if they're using the same 3 riffs over the course of the entire album, even when they slow down (completely killing any notion of heaviness). the chugga chugga mallcore breakdown in one of the songs is a hatecrime. the "in-song" keyboard parts sound like something they copied from Behemoth at their worst. even the "interludes" sound like 2nd rate boring Hans Zimmer soundtrack.

this is disney "death" metal
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #16690
The Duff

I for one really like it, although I feel that they’ve lost some identity, and trimmed down a la psycroptic post-observant. The opener, snake pit mating frenzy and oxford handbook are all three immediate Nile beast tracks, the rest still has to sink in, and also instead of rewriting lashed to the aids dick album upon album they’ve finally reinvented it with the title track.

The production has been identical for the past five records practically, kernonesque, I don’t see the disdain although Rutan clearly has the better experience; a change is no bad thing. That said I am far from an audiophile and all of my systems are garbage compared to what some of you invest in. Might buy myself some kleipsch’s for Christmas.

Listening to esoteric and I don’t hear a return to form, but backtracking I can appreciate this new incarnation of the band; they used to define dementia and torture, now they are more melodic and even death metal. There are some glorious moments on the new one though.

Winter weather has brought me to Mork and Evilfeast. Also early Vomitory is killer, I always thought primal massacre and beyond was where they shined but nope.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #16691
alteredstate

On repeat
alteredstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #16692
Skeetsystem
cash/money pronouns

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((OdiumNostrum View Post
too epic for weaklings, it would be even better if they would drop those cringy hard rock solos, but hey, you cant have everything

Right as I was about to blame this all on Agalloch they plagarize a stretch of some Drudkh song off Microcosmos
Skeetsystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #16693
Skeetsystem
cash/money pronouns

I was pleasantly surprised with this.

I feel like the rest of the industry already caught up to old grimes so this doesn't have the same impact. But I'd still like to hear more.
Skeetsystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:26 AM   #16694
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

You're fucking crazy if you don't like the new Nile. I've been listening to it basically every day. Also Rutan didn't end up working on this album, presumably due to touring with CC. I don't think the production is anything like their past albums. It's a little bit of a weird production job but I really like it.
Tomes of Deceit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:52 AM   #16695
Flaccid Penguin
Form Voltron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredstate View Post
On repeat
Ma nigga. The ending to sunken stars is lit af

Also Nile hasn?t been relevant since aotw. I don?t care for their music at all anymore. Fuck that band I’m totally over them. First album is still good tho. Also this is an oldie but goodie

Last edited by Flaccid Penguin; 11-16-2019 at 02:55 AM..
Flaccid Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:58 AM   #16696
Flaccid Penguin
Form Voltron

Not even kidding this has been on repeat the whole week. I am in heaven
Old 11-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #16697
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomes of Deceit View Post
You're fucking crazy if you don't like the new Nile. I've been listening to it basically every day. Also Rutan didn't end up working on this album, presumably due to touring with CC. I don't think the production is anything like their past albums. It's a little bit of a weird production job but I really like it.
i'm not because you have shit taste in music so if you like something i don't, i know i'm doing something right. it's a terrible album and you should feel bad for liking it
Old 11-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #16698
Flaccid Penguin
Form Voltron

I am cumming day and night
It’s terrific
Old 11-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #16699
Spew
Big Baby Jesus

Karl is such a danzig.
Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #16700
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
i'm not because you have shit taste in music so if you like something i don't, i know i'm doing something right. it's a terrible album and you should feel bad for liking it
That doesn't really make sense because we like a lot of the same things. But you did succeed in making me feel bad for like 20 seconds.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:52 AM   #16701
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomes of Deceit View Post
That doesn't really make sense because we like a lot of the same things. But you did succeed in making me feel bad for like 20 seconds.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:49 AM   #16702
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

Well, I for one like almost all the nile albums and I listened to a shitload of them since VNR came out and here is what I have to report:

ATCONK, ITDS still equally as great as they've always been. BSOV I didn't revisit yet but I was thinking it might be my favorite.

AOTW I've always rated a little lower than most people, and I still stand by that. When Kollias joined the band I found his style a lot more straightforward and bland than what Roddy and Laureano had done, and primarily I feel that it's the several slow tracks on the album where he does a constant fast double kick under it, maybe it's partly the way it's triggered making it really stand out but it just feels blatantly uncreative kind of like when you would listen to the drumming on an old Vile album. One of the slow songs I forget which, it has all the squealing and it honestly reminds me of a knock off Incantation riff.

I don't want to sound overly harsh on it, it's a good album and I like it BUT I think it's overhyped. Lashed to the slavestick was so great at the time but it's a little trite as the years go on.

Ithyphallic - this was the biggest surprise to me. I was thinking this was their second worst album, but on re-evaluation I would say it's Dallas's finest moment, from his vocal performance taking over almost all the vocals, some of his leadwork, and the songs he contributed especially The Essential Salts, The Language of the Shadows. When the album first kicks in the production sounds a little cheesy and thin with the synths, and PCTSTPIPAAFHWIITW is a little cheesy, these things gave me a bad memory of it, overall I think it's a badass album AND to my point about Kollias drumming on AOTW, I think it is improved by leaps and bounds on Ithyphallic, most specifically with his cymbal work.

TWTGD - I really enjoy it, but the feeling of retread does hold it back a bit. Kem Khefa Khesef is a case in point, part of me feels it's a highlight of the album being well written track with a lot of momentum, with a strong catchy chorus. But there's just this nagging feeling especially during the chorus that it's formulaic. And then there's Utterances being in the exact vein of Lashed, and this is why I say Ithyphallic was Dallas's peak, because his songs after that album don't really indicate that he had a whole lot more to "say", culminating in TWSNBU where he didn't even exclusively pen a single track.

ATGOS - I know a lot of people hate it especially the production and think it sounds weak. It still doesn't bother me and I don't really get all the hate. I wouldn't call it one of their best albums but I like that they made some tweaks to the vocals and things, to get out of that "retread" mode they were in on TWTGD, even if overall TWTGD is a better album.

TWSNBU - I've never gotten into this album, I think it's a total retread and boring. Since I was on such a binge I thought this could be the time I got into it, but it was dead last on my list and I never got to it and now I'm kind of burnt out on Nile again.

VNR - FIRST RATE DISNEY DM!!!!

Last edited by Tomes of Deceit; 11-23-2019 at 12:52 AM..
Old 11-23-2019, 10:56 AM   #16703
The Duff

I loved Kollias’ drumming on Annihilation, it was only subsequent albums that didn’t work for me.

I’d agree with you on Unearthed, but now I view it as a stepping stone to this new record, which is great. They’ve never truly released a bad record. Sethu is grossly underrated. I also find Toller-Wade’s tracks essential dispersing the densely packed Sanders material.

I found the biggest hurdle for me was appreciating Karl as a Candlemass fan, a lot of Nile is doom, a lot of his playing is more feel than anything else. Gods Detest is a masterful album but it took me years to enjoy given the first four records, they definitely became more formulaic since, I hate the production on Ithyphallic, really any record post-Annihilation that Rutan hasn’t been involved in has lacked the necessary crunch.

My appreciation of Annihilation was also slow to develop, but it helped hearing the title track live before the album release, and then getting high and slowly watch the track User Maat Re unfold with the lyrics in front of me, when the demonic voice of God comes crashing in was a death metal life highlight.

The new White Ward is very good, a little Deaf Heaveny but largely Darkthrone, Lantlos and lounge jazz, more chill than brash, but they really fucked up with that last sample my god. The new Djevel is a lot to unpack but glorious.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #16704
ShadowHunter
violently violating

that's because you're deaf or something. Kollias on AOTW more straightforward than Laureano and Roddy?! you must be on drugs on something. it' may be his "simplest" Nile performance, but that's a good thing considering how much he likes going OTT.

i listen to everything up to and including AOTW regularly (at least once a month) as i find them perfect for working out so they're pretty "fresh" in my memory all the time.

ITDS is their weakest from their golden era when they still had Vesano, it's a bit too corny for its own good, but still a great and fun and diverse album. ATCONK is just raw coolness, and BSOV is a perfect mix of the 2.

AOTW is head and shoulders above the rest of their catalogue. it's not even funny how much better it is than their others. this is Nile at their peak, with everything fitting in nicely, from Vesano's best performance, to the riffs being a perfect mix of catchy, emotional and technical with just the right dose of oriental, by far the best "epics" (and closers) they've ever done, and Kollias' drumming isn't the technical masturbation he likes to do so much nowadays.

TWTGD is their best of the post-Vesano era, and honestly the only one that's actually good. the Phallic album could've been solid if it wasn't Dallas on vocals 90+% of the time and it had a production with some balls. as it is, it's quite boring.

the rest of the post-Vesano albums are just varying degrees of utter and total garbage, with the last 2 battling it out for the title of "Worst Nile album, by a long shot"(tm). how do you not burst out laughing when you hear those disney interludes, that mallcore chugga chugga or the synths so cheesy even Nergal would've been embarrassed, is simply beyond me
Old 11-24-2019, 12:58 AM   #16705
The Duff

Tony Laureano’s drumming on ITDS will be thought of as one of heavy metal’s finest hours alongside Smith, Sandoval, Reinart; I doubt Kollias should ever be thought of as a musician’s drummer. His solo album attests to this, his shortcomings in thinking outside of the box. Technical prowess yes, but certainly more straightforward than anything from Black Seeds or Darkened Shrines. Nile became a different band with Annihilation so if that’s your high watermark you’ll find a lot of people who disagree with you - almost universally it will be one of the first three records, anything post-ITDS is more often than not latecomers to their fan base. Pose-eurghs.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #16706
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

I agree with that comment regarding Kollias not being a musician’s drummer. I enjoy the guy’s drumming for his precision and speed, but he’s always lacked finesse and restraint to my ears. His drumming doesn’t really hold a candle to what Laureano does on ITDS, but I would also say that he’s more straightforward on AOTW. That being said, AOTW is Nile’s best album by a long shot. I do love some tracks off the later releases (“Essential Salts”, “As He Creates, So He Destroys”, “The Inevitable Degradation of Flesh” are some of the best), but they’ve all just been so inconsistent, recycling, retreading, you name it.

EDIT: New Blood Incantation is excellent.

Last edited by Lichtbringer; 11-24-2019 at 10:18 AM..
Old 11-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #16707
The Duff

I don’t know why I became such a harsh critic of later Nile when I’m so carefree with the other greats of the 90s. I don’t think any of their albums are patchy these days but I think inarguably Unearthed is their worst if generic s your standpoint.

Feel the Misery by Dying Bride, I’m not a massive fan but is this as good as their classic output? The variety and all-out doom n’ gloom mastery has me eager for the follow-up. It’s almost too depressing. Songs of Darkness is also a minimalist masterpiece.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #16708
Flaccid Penguin
Form Voltron

Most of Nile’s best ideas are all succinctly executed on Amongst the Catacombs. That and Annihilation are their best offerings imo.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:58 PM   #16709
Dizzy Alpaca Party
My body is ready

I didn't give this one the proper attention when it came out.

Dizzy Alpaca Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #16710
open face surgery

Rep Power: 0 open face surgery is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duff View Post
Tony Laureano?s drumming on ITDS will be thought of as one of heavy metal?s finest hours alongside Smith, Sandoval, Reinart; I doubt Kollias should ever be thought of as a musician?s drummer. His solo album attests to this, his shortcomings in thinking outside of the box. Technical prowess yes, but certainly more straightforward than anything from Black Seeds or Darkened Shrines. Nile became a different band with Annihilation so if that?s your high watermark you?ll find a lot of people who disagree with you - almost universally it will be one of the first three records, anything post-ITDS is more often than not latecomers to their fan base. Pose-eurghs.
I'm gonna go back to AOTW on the back of this thread but that was when I stopped listening to them and agree with everything you said here. Roddy's drums on BSOV are impeccable as well but I'd def go with Laureano's performance on Shrines as the best of the first 3. Drum production is perfect as well.
open face surgery is offline   Reply With Quote