SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Dysrhythmia

Dysrhythmia Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
KicknGuitar

Dysrhythmia Tab - Kevin Hufnagel's Style?

If there is already a thread for this, my apologies and feel free to redirect me to it.

Is there any sort of interview or analyzation of Hufnagel's guitar style? I've begun to learn "And Just Go" by ear, but it's been mostly the lead melodies and not his funky chords. I really am finding it a bitch to figure them out. I have a few ideas as to what notes might be in them, but I have yet to hit the nail on it's head.

It's been really fun figuring this song out, but these chords are getting to me. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
KicknGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
under your coma

hi, kevin here.. "and just go" is one of the few dysrhythmia songs in standard "A-440" tuning. which part of the song are you having trouble with? i don't have any of my guitar parts written or tabed out.. but this probably wouldn't be a bad idea as i tend to forget things in our older songs as we keep writing and playing new ones...
under your coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
KicknGuitar

Haha, Thanks Kevin.
I don't know if you'd want me to post it, but have the song tabbed out (quite sporadical).

Some areas of confusion would be anywhere you seem to be playing more than one note at a time:
Edit- My friend informed me that the beginning is the bass, and you don't come in until after (your guitar swells).
The very first chord, I think is close to one of the following (a D chord?),
Code:
E|---------
B|---------
G|-7--7--7-
D|-0--0--0-
A|-9--5----
E|-7--7--7-
0:29 - The intro's volume swells
1:25 - Sounds like you keep some notes throughout the chord progression. possibly E? But it's that whole riff there where you guys get heavier and add that BG hiss
Edit: Playing around with the chords today, I think it's something more along the lines of,
Code:
|-0-------|-0--------|
|-0-------|-5--------|
|-4-------|-4--------|
|-2-------|-2--------|
|---------|----------|
|---------|----------|
Which keeps similar structure through out the riff.
Instead of,
Code:
|-0-------|-0--------|
|-3-------|-5--------|
|-4-------|-4--------|
|---------|----------|
|-2-------|-2--------|
|-0-------|-0--------|
3:36 - I believe it's octaves, very fast here, almost trem picked, I'd guess.

I've found my ear probably needs a few more years to catch up to even triad inversions (My Musicianship class has all of a sudden become a pain with hearing triad inversions)

And I think that's it (I'm a little surprised it isn't more, could have sworn I didn't figure out that much).

Forgetting? I thought that was called improv and keeping the songs "new" by changing things around. Haha. Thanks for responding,

Last edited by KicknGuitar; 12-06-2007 at 08:54 PM..
Old 12-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
gore_ridden
E |\| |\| U |

dork
gore_ridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
Manslaughter

Tuning

Kevin, What alt. tunings do you like to use? Michael Hedges Stuff?
Manslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
under your coma

those chords were a little off so here are the main chords in the beginning part of the song that keep building, and then the quiter part after it before it kicks in to the more riff-y stuff.

BASIC CHORS PROGRESSION FOR BEGINNING BUILD UP SECTION:

|--------------|--------------|
|--------------|--------------|
|-----7-------|-----9--------|
|-----5-------|-----5--------|
|-----7-------|-----7--------|
|-0-----------|-0--------------|

|---------------------------10-----------------------|
|------8----------------------------8----------------|
|-----------11---------------------------11---------|
|------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------9--------------------------------|
|-0---------------------------------------------------I

|----2-----I-0----------I---0---I----0--------I--------I------------------------|
|----0-----I---------2--I---3---I--------3----I--------I------0----------------|
|----4-----I---------4--I---0---I--------------I--------I-2----------2---------|
|----5-----I---------5--I--------I--------------I--4----I-------------------4---|
|-----------I------------I---------I-------------I---------I-----------------------|
|-----------I------------I---------I-------------I---------I-----------------------|

QUIETER COME-DOWN BROKEN CHORDS PART:

|------------------10----------------I-------------------7----------------I----------------0------------------I-------------------0------------------|
|------------14----------14----------I-------------10---------10---------I-----------5------------5----------I------------6---------6------------|
|-------11---------------------11----I---------9---------------------9----I------7-------------------7-------I-------7---------------------7-----|
|--12--------------------------------I---10-------------------------------I--4-------------------------------I--3---------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------I------------------------------------I---------------------------------I-------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------I------------------------------------I---------------------------------I-------------------------------------|
Old 12-13-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
under your coma

as for alternate tunings.. pretty much all the ones i use are ones i come up with. this was inspired by michael hedges but i don't think i use any of his tunings in our stuff. i won't give them all away :), but here's the one i used for "annihilation I" and "II"
low to high: Bb F Bb F C F
Old 12-14-2007, 07:54 PM   #8
Manslaughter

thanks a lot, love those songs.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:13 AM   #9
Quarkcombination

any chance you could tell us the tuning for earthquake too, please? Thats songs great
Quarkcombination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
under your coma

Earthquake tuning is:
low to high - C#, F, A#, G, G#, D#
Old 01-14-2008, 12:15 AM   #11
Chaosmongirl

At last! You've revealed two of your secret tunings! Yay! Many thanks for the "And Just Go" tabs as well!
Chaosmongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:40 AM   #12
Manslaughter

yet another reason dysrhythmia is my favorite band. Time to tune my strat, thanks for the post
Old 04-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
Belon

Hi Kevin... can you teach me the chords of the Appeared at First, in the 00:55 part... there so much beautiful effects and i don´t know what is bass or guitar.
I´m a bass player but i´m like too play guitar too... Your stuffs are so amazing and in a future, i want make a band cover of yours... So if you help me in this part, i´m will thank you a lot! lol
Belon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
KicknGuitar

Thanks mate. Looks like I'm done with this one.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #15
under your coma

"Appeared at First" is a song we'll be re-learning for the upcoming tour. so maybe I'll have time to tab some of it out for you soon since I need to review it as well!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:30 AM   #16
Belon

Hum... ok Kevin!!! I try to make the bassline of the song before the "part"...
(put the tab in a text file to see better)

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------5--------------------------------------------------4-------------------------------------------5--|
|-------------------------6-------------------------------------------6-----------------------5-------------------------6-------------------------|
|-----333-333-333-----333-333-333-----333-333-333-------333-333-333---------333-333-333-----333-333-333------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------6---------------------------------------------|
|----3--3--3--3--3-1111---333-333-333-----444-444-444-333-333-333-333-|

|---------------------------------------------0--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------1----------------------------9--------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------8-----------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------4----------------------7--------------------4---------------------------------------------------4-------------------7-|
|---000-000-000------000-000-000-----000-000-000-----000-000-000------------000-000-000----000-000-000---|

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------4444-2-0-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----3--3--5--6------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------4---------7--333333333333---|
|---------------------------------------000-000-000----000-000-000-----111111111111---|

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----1~-----------------------------------------------------------13-/---------------------|
|----------------3-----3------3------3-3---5-5------6-6------12/------9---9----------|
|-------2~-----------------------00--------------------------------------------------------|
|------------22---22----22----------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|--------------------------------------------------------------------10--10--10--10---------------------------------------0--0--0-----|
|--------------------------------------------------------------8-7~---9----9----9----9-------------------------------------5--5--5----|
|--------7-----7-------7-7-7---8-8----9-------8-8-8-8-------------------------------------------------------------------7------7----|
|----------7-----7------------------------------------------------------------------------------6/4--------6/1-0-------------------------|
|----55----5-----5--------------------------------------------------------------------4-4-------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------0-0---------------------------------|

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------13/------8-----|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------11/9------11---------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------11~---9------9/------11/9-----------|
|----8p6-6-6-----6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6---6h8~------------- 9~--7-----9------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------5/7~---------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------9-9-9-----------------------------------------------------|

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------12p10---14h15---15h16-----------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------17p15---15h13------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------0~---------------14-----17(the voice effectlol)-------------------------------------|
|-------------5~--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------3~/13-12-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------3~/9---4~/10--------------|
Old 06-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #17
Belon

No news?

PS: Hey, Ten years of Dysrhythmia! Congratulations

Last edited by Belon; 06-09-2008 at 01:08 PM..
Old 07-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #18
Belon

No news? ( part II - the return lol )