SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Severed Savior

Severed Savior Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 12-28-2005, 08:35 AM   #1
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fecal_Disgorge
I know you all probably get this a lot, but I'd just like to ask a few things that I'm curious about. Firstly, loved both albums - One by One and Fecalpheliac are ownage. I heard from an older friend that your show with Cannibal Corpse was worth the distance he went. Anyways, maybe they're stupid/cheesy questions, but....here goes:
No problem man. I'm not the band's spokesperson, but I'll give it a shot.
Quote:
What are some of your musical influences as well as other influences (like books and movies and whatnot)?
Me personally, my musical influences are bands/artists like Al Di Meola, Chick Corea, early 70's YES, Charlie Hunter, ZZ-Top, Mr Bungle, Phish, Angus Young, Billy Gibbons, Marty Friedman, Megadeth, Slayer, and lots of various classical and Jazz artists. And of course Death metal bands like Suffocation, Cynic, Carcass, Death, Broken Hope, Cannibal Corpse, Disincarnate, etc.
Movies, Original Star Wars Trilogy, Band of Brothers, Terry Gilliam movies, god..too many to list. I can't really think of many books that influenced me other than Bruce Lee's "Tao of Jeet Kune Do".

Quote:
Did any of you think you'd make it this far with a record deal and everything?
Music has always been priority #1. If people like it, and it gets us somewhere, that's a bonus. I'm just happy and appreciative we have acheived whatever "level" we are at.

Quote:
Do you have any plans of experimenting with other instruments/other sounds than just stick to the brutal death formula? I was just thinking how a new album could use some more ambience and a break from all the fast, brutal stuff.
No plans on different instruments, but Murray will be doing some fretless bass work on the next cd. I'm still considering implementing a guitar synth unit into my rig, but that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon. As far as the musical direction of the next cd, it will still be a SS cd, but we hope to make it the best one yet. If you haven't already heard it, check out one of our new songs "Servile Insurrection" at www.myspace.com/severedsavior

Quote:
Do you come accross a variety of different ages when you look at your fans? Specifically do you see people below 18 often?
Yeah, it's a pretty wide age range. Which is great. It shows the "scene" aint dying anytime soon.
Quote:
Do you have any tips to get where you are now for a young guitarist? Or some guitar exercise that you often do? I mean any improv/guitaring/being part of a band lessons you all have learned or something you guys always do?
Practice as many things and styles as possible. Even if you hate certain types of music.
Quote:
Oh yea and also, is there any chance you guys will ever come to Canada? Speficially Toronto?
We would fuckin LOVE to tour Canada again. Hopefully sometime soon.
M.Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
Fecal_Disgorge

Oh man I have to say I love the new song. There are certain parts in there that are just brutal (in a good way :p) I was surprised that there were actually some ambient parts in there. I thought the intro was excellent too. I hope someday I can find someone here in Toronto who has the same musical direction, cause I can't find anyone who likes anything more than System of a Down or Metallica. Seems like you guys have chemistry together.

Also I was going to ask some last questions:

Do you as a band/just you as a guitarist have any preference towards the musical direction of the next album?

As a band do you have some sort of goal that you want to achieve? And if the goal is just keep doing what you're doing now, do you hope to achieve some wider success and recognition?

Have you ever thought of incorporating progressive/jazz elements into your music? Bands like Pestilence (although had a flop with the Spheres album), Dream Theater, Opeth. I don't know if you are all into progressive, and it might be just me, but I thought you could do well by trying out slightly longer songs with time changes and progressions. My only criticism is that each song is slightly similar and sometimes feels like a wall of noise, maybe you could use synth/just more brighter guitar melody. Don't get me wrong, it's good and listenable, but often times it does get a bit monotonous.

And...sorry for bombarding you with all this and however odd this last one may be, I actually haven't got a clear answer for it:
When you're playing, do you lean your pinky against the guitar/pick guard, or do you sort of have it float on top of the strings? Some people say it restricts movement if I lean the pinky and that it makes me play slower. Other people say that for better accuracy just lean it and that many performing guitarists do this. I've always leaned it, but I have noticed that it does restrict movement. I'm not sure which is better for technique.

And lastly, thanks and good luck with life and future releases.

Last edited by Fecal_Disgorge; 12-28-2005 at 05:58 PM..
Fecal_Disgorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:02 PM   #3
Goaters
無月

hahahahah
Goaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:54 PM   #4
Fecal_Disgorge

Yea, sorry if the questions are uber cheesy, but what can I say, I'm uber curious.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:34 AM   #5
InvoluntarySlaughter

Dude, don't even worry man. These boards are not strict and full of elitists like all of the other ones. You'll get the occasional fuck tard in here every so often, but you won't find a lot of them.

Edit: Just so that all is clear, Goaters, I was not implying that you are in fact, a fuck tard.

Last edited by InvoluntarySlaughter; 12-29-2005 at 12:36 AM..
InvoluntarySlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:50 AM   #6
younguitarist

Good questions Fecal!
younguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:52 AM   #7
Goaters
無月

just so you know.. i was just laughing at the "As a band do you have some sort of goal..." question.. cause mike pretty much already answered something like that with his
" Music has always been priority #1..." answer
as for the incorporating the jazz elements part...ummm.

yeah that's all.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Do you as a band/just you as a guitarist have any preference towards the musical direction of the next album?.
Not really. We're just trying to write songs we like. The next cd will be more diverse/dynamic than most of our previous material.
Quote:
As a band do you have some sort of goal that you want to achieve? And if the goal is just keep doing what you're doing now, do you hope to achieve some wider success and recognition?
As I mentioned before, our main priority has been, and always will be writing and playing music we love. Wider success/recognition would be nice.
Quote:
Have you ever thought of incorporating progressive/jazz elements into your music? Bands like Pestilence (although had a flop with the Spheres album), Dream Theater, Opeth. I don't know if you are all into progressive, and it might be just me, but I thought you could do well by trying out slightly longer songs with time changes and progressions. My only criticism is that each song is slightly similar and sometimes feels like a wall of noise, maybe you could use synth/just more brighter guitar melody. Don't get me wrong, it's good and listenable, but often times it does get a bit monotonous.
I've been a huge fan of Jazz, fusion and progressive for many years.
We are working hard to make this next cd not as monotonous as some of our previous material. That's all I can say.
Quote:
And...sorry for bombarding you with all this and however odd this last one may be, I actually haven't got a clear answer for it:
When you're playing, do you lean your pinky against the guitar/pick guard, or do you sort of have it float on top of the strings? Some people say it restricts movement if I lean the pinky and that it makes me play slower. Other people say that for better accuracy just lean it and that many performing guitarists do this. I've always leaned it, but I have noticed that it does restrict movement. I'm not sure which is better for technique.

And lastly, thanks and good luck with life and future releases.
Whatever works best for you is all that matters. Personally I do not wrest my pinky anywhere on the guitar. It's always free floating or curled up.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:57 PM   #9
exhumetoconsume

I'm actually kind of glad you asked these questions, saves me asking them.
exhumetoconsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:59 PM   #10
Fecal_Disgorge

I was reading your comments over again and I just thought of something - will you do any covers any time soon? Jazz/Prog/Fusion/Death Metal/w.e I'd like to hear that grinding sound on another bands song.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:11 AM   #11
M.Gilbert

Quote:
I was reading your comments over again and I just thought of something - will you do any covers any time soon? Jazz/Prog/Fusion/Death Metal/w.e I'd like to hear that grinding sound on another bands song.
Theres so many covers of random shit I, personally would love to do. Not just death metal bands, but of course it would be a DM enterpretation. We don't plan on ever recording a cover song to go on CD, but we have been considering playing one live, other than Thrones of Blood. That one always gets such a great response from the crowd though, so it will be tough on deciding which song would be next to cover live. A Cynic song has been at the top of the consideration list for awhile now. Me and Troy play quite a bit of their stuff already, so it wouldn't be a huge step to get a whole song down as a band, except for the fact that we will be playing as a 4 piece for awhile and with Cynic in perticular you really want to have the 2nd guitar. Anyways, yes we do plan on adding some new covers to our list of shit. I just don't know exactly what songs yet.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:16 PM   #12
Jordan5

What are your guys' view on Jesus and God?
Jordan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:22 PM   #13
InvoluntarySlaughter

Hahahahaha, you better order Forced To Bleed and Brutality is Law and read the lyrics and find out.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:23 PM   #14
Jordan5

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvoluntarySlaughter
Hahahahaha, you better order Forced To Bleed and Brutality is Law and read the lyrics and find out.
I know ... I guess i'm just being stupid, but it was worth a try. :(
Old 03-29-2006, 11:45 PM   #15
InvoluntarySlaughter

The name pretty much states their view of religion and such.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:51 PM   #16
Jordan5

Quote:
The name pretty much states their view of religion and such.
Yeah somewhat.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:53 PM   #17
InvoluntarySlaughter

Well....like I said, order the albums and read the lyrics. You might be offended, but it's all in the way you take it. But besides the lyrics, the music is awesome.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:09 AM   #18
Jordan5

Quote:
Well....like I said, order the albums and read the lyrics. You might be offended, but it's all in the way you take it. But besides the lyrics, the music is awesome.
True, I don't think lyrics can get more offensive that Cryptopsy or Morbid Angel.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:23 AM   #19
InvoluntarySlaughter

Dude, yes they can. Ones that come to mind are: Acheron, Anaal Nathrakh, Belphegor, Bloodbath, Deicide (As gay as they are), Decrepit Birth has some anti-religous lyrics, Disgorge (US), Godless Truth (Hence, the name), Hate Eternal, Immolation, Impaled Nazarene, Incinerate, Insidious Decrepancy, Jesus Anal Penetration, Spawn of Possession, and an ass load more. Pretty much all black metal is anti-Jesus, and a lot of death metal bands are against organized religion.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:29 AM   #20
Jordan5

Oh shit yeah haha I forgot black metal ... that stuff has the most anti-religious.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #21
EXHUMEtheDEAD

Quote:
Dude, yes they can. Ones that come to mind are: Acheron, Anaal Nathrakh, Belphegor, Bloodbath, Deicide (As gay as they are), Decrepit Birth has some anti-religous lyrics, Disgorge (US), Godless Truth (Hence, the name), Hate Eternal, Immolation, Impaled Nazarene, Incinerate, Insidious Decrepancy, Jesus Anal Penetration, Spawn of Possession, and an ass load more. Pretty much all black metal is anti-Jesus, and a lot of death metal bands are against organized religion.

Aeon is the first band that come to mind about anti-religious lyrics...

They are kind of childish though... "God Give Head in Heaven"? SO LAME...(I love Aeon though...lol)
EXHUMEtheDEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:22 PM   #22
Goaters
無月

Quote:
please tell me where i can order Forced to bleed from
Old 03-30-2006, 09:20 PM   #23
InvoluntarySlaughter

Dude, I've been wondering the same damn thing myself. I want it bad. I was just saying to order it to read the lyrics, as well as the music. I mean the titles are obviously gruesome: Steel Toe Abortion, Fecalpheliac, and the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXHUMEtheDEAD
Aeon is the first band that come to mind about anti-religious lyrics...

They are kind of childish though... "God Give Head in Heaven"? SO LAME...(I love Aeon though...lol)
Yeah man, I totally forgot about Aeon. Yeah, the lyrics are pretty comical. And I also forgot about Vehemence. Those guys are very, very anti-relgious. And Vital Remains. The 2003 album was "Dechristianize."
Old 03-31-2006, 12:47 AM   #24
Fecal_Disgorge

*ahem* Slayer and Marduk come to mind here. I'm pretty sure Manowar are anti-jesus as well :p
Old 03-31-2006, 02:25 AM   #25
InvoluntarySlaughter

Hahaha, Manowar is tr00 and kvlt! Haha.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #26
pyaemik

M.Gilbert , How long have u been playin guitar ? & how much u rehearse a day ? ( random shit questions from a random fool )
pyaemik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #27
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan5
What are your guys' view on Jesus and God?
I'm not sure if this question was directed towards me and the band or everyone in general. Personally, I think God is a man made idea/concept. I beleive Jesus may have existed, but the stories we know of him are probably far from what actually happened. So basically, I find religion interesting but I never accept it as actual history or fact.

Last edited by M.Gilbert; 04-02-2006 at 09:28 PM..
Old 04-02-2006, 09:28 PM   #28
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyaemik
M.Gilbert , How long have u been playin guitar ? & how much u rehearse a day ? ( random shit questions from a random fool )
Been playin since I was 12. The first several years of playing my parents used to take my guitar away for several months at a time everytime I got a bad report card in school. Which was just about every report card. They stopped pulling that gay shit once I was about 16. Never took lessons, though I took 3 or 4 lessons from a dude once I had been playing for about 10 years. I should have kept up with them, but I didn't. Anyways, I guess I've been playing a total of about 17 years. As far as my practice schedule now, I'm pretty bad about it. A couple hours per week outside of band rehearsal.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:51 PM   #29
Goaters
無月

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gilbert
Been playin since I was 12. The first several years of playing my parents used to take my guitar away for several months at a time everytime I got a bad report card in school. Which was just about every report card. They stopped pulling that gay shit once I was about 16. Never took lessons, though I took 3 or 4 lessons from a dude once I had been playing for about 10 years. I should have kept up with them, but I didn't. Anyways, I guess I've been playing a total of about 17 years. As far as my practice schedule now, I'm pretty bad about it. A couple hours per week outside of band rehearsal.
how often do you have band rehearsal/jams ??
Old 04-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #30
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaters
how often do you have band rehearsal/jams ??
2-3 times per week.