SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #121
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

Re: 2019 album discussion thread

I picked up Lingua Ignota's album last year All Bitches Die, it was definitely an interesting release and I cannot deny its artistic value, but obviously a very challenging listen with lyrics like "my rapist lay beside me", it is almost like the musical equivalent of watching something like Schindler's List.

Basically I had every expectation that this one is probably an improvement on the previous just due to more experience and development of the style, but wasn't sure I was totally ready to dive into it yet. But listening to it now, it does feel like it is blowing away the previous. In terms of the soundscapes and musicality being engaging enough to compete with the radical artistry of the lyrics and theme which I would say dominated the previous album a good portion of the time.
Tomes of Deceit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #122
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomes of Deceit View Post
I picked up their last one based on the hype and gave it a good handful of spins driving around to try to see if it would click. Ultimately my decision was that there is nothing to "get" underneath it all, it's nothing but what it sounds like on the surface, a well executed but totally generic and boring OSDM release which I am convinced is only popular because every few years a new batch of people discovers the old school DM aesthetics and is not yet jaded on it...or maybe some people literally just never get enough of that...

I am still a little curious to check this out though, I just can't shake the feeling that there must be SOMETHING to the hype, but I should probably just accept that most people have no idea what the fuck they are talking about. To me Impetuous Ritual and Abyssal are basically old school death metal as well, it's just people don't think of it that way because they're actually doing their own things. Kinda like what bands actually did back in late 80's/early 90's...
Maybe someone will prove me wrong because I remember writing a dismissive post of Impetuous Ritual back in 2014 and now I am holding them up on a pedestal
Old 07-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #123
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 22 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski

Quote:
Maybe someone will prove me wrong because I remember writing a dismissive post of Impetuous Ritual back in 2014 and now I am holding them up on a pedestal
saying IR and Abyssal are OSDM is about as stupid and wrong of a claim as Naitz's "Dark is just a Stranger Things ripoff"

as far as IR goes, i can understand why someone wouldn't like them, as they can sound pretty samey and the music is quite "dense"... at first i thought they were very boring, like Portal playing simplified Incantation tunes, but i gave them enough chances, for some unknown reason, that they eventually "clicked"
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:45 PM   #124
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 25 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski

Quote:
I picked up their last one based on the hype and gave it a good handful of spins driving around to try to see if it would click. Ultimately my decision was that there is nothing to "get" underneath it all, it's nothing but what it sounds like on the surface, a well executed but totally generic and boring OSDM release which I am convinced is only popular because every few years a new batch of people discovers the old school DM aesthetics and is not yet jaded on it...or maybe some people literally just never get enough of that...

I am still a little curious to check this out though, I just can't shake the feeling that there must be SOMETHING to the hype, but I should probably just accept that most people have no idea what the fuck they are talking about. To me Impetuous Ritual and Abyssal are basically old school death metal as well, it's just people don't think of it that way because they're actually doing their own things. Kinda like what bands actually did back in late 80's/early 90's...
Those were basically my thoughts when listening to some of their other material, although I didn't come up with that explanation for why it got the hype it got. Sounds reasonable to me though.
I've only spun this new record once and there were plenty of sections that immediately grabbed me, but of course it's yet to be determined whether this will grow and stand the test of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
saying IR and Abyssal are OSDM is about as stupid and wrong of a claim as Naitz's "Dark is just a Stranger Things ripoff"

as far as IR goes, i can understand why someone wouldn't like them, as they can sound pretty samey and the music is quite "dense"... at first i thought they were very boring, like Portal playing simplified Incantation tunes, but i gave them enough chances, for some unknown reason, that they eventually "clicked"
Yeah, tbh I can't stand IR and I also thought the new Abyssal was borderline unlistenable despite enjoying a portion of the previous record.

---

On another note, this is sounding very promising. That intro... Kinda wished it would reappear in the song. Ah, the need for repetition...

Last edited by Lichtbringer; 07-27-2019 at 09:50 PM..
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #125
ShadowHunter
violently violating

so Prava Kollektiv released a couple of new albums:

new band Pharmakeia:

Voidsphere

Hwwauoch

and Mahr Soulmare I, Soulmare II
Old 07-29-2019, 06:25 PM   #126
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debemur Morti
Furthermore, the new album is currently at the pressing plant and we'll soon unveil some details (as well as pre-orders) so keep tuned !! It begins a new era for BLUT AUS NORD and, in my opinion, comes with the best artwork Dehn Sora ever created.

Last but not least, watch out around end of August / early September for the launch of Order Of Outer Sounds. Vindsval and us are working on something really interesting that will change from the usual 'album / ep' format we're used to get
Old 07-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #127
Nailed To Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtbringer View Post
Those were basically my thoughts when listening to some of their other material, although I didn't come up with that explanation for why it got the hype it got. Sounds reasonable to me though.
I've only spun this new record once and there were plenty of sections that immediately grabbed me, but of course it's yet to be determined whether this will grow and stand the test of time.

Yeah, tbh I can't stand IR and I also thought the new Abyssal was borderline unlistenable despite enjoying a portion of the previous record.

Glad im not the only one who thought that about the new Abyssal.
Nailed To Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:00 PM   #128
Dizzy Alpaca Party
My body is ready

Quote:

That being said, what are people's thoughts on this album? The woman behind this project features on the aforementioned Full of Hell-track. After reading a little about this project I fully expected to hate it, but I found myself enjoying a moment here and there, particularly "May Failure Be Your Noose".

Lingua Ignota - Caligula
I'm actually really digging this. I usually dislike ambient soundscapes and doomy stuff, but she has enough going on harmonically to pull it off.
Dizzy Alpaca Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #129
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 25 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski

Couple of new 1349 tracks. First one might’ve been posted, but whatever.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #130
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Also, new Esoteric coming! This should be gooood.

https://m.facebook.com/seasonofmisto...57514307544808
Old 08-01-2019, 02:59 PM   #131
(((OdiumNostrum

Sheet, stoked for that new Esoteric!

New project from Spectral Lore dude (who went full on antifa not long ago, but who cares, music is still good...)

https://rednebula.bandcamp.com/track...zgIaNmrXUBC78o

----

And finally a new Haunter single:

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/haun...rwTy6paX4mzVVw

Last edited by (((OdiumNostrum; 08-01-2019 at 03:16 PM..
(((OdiumNostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #132
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
I don't know why such aggression. I think IR and Abyssal are both forward thinking bands and sonically or aesthetically they could not have existed before the last 10 years or so, but my point is that I don't understand where this homogeneous concept of "OSDM" came from, it's like a revisionist history which ignores anything that actually made the genre good.

1991 Effigy, Dawn of Possession, Blessed are the Sick, Unquestionable Presence, Clandestine, Necroticism, Human, Like an Everflowing Stream... there's more variety and breadth in that list than there is between IR and Tomb Mold. So what gets something the OSDM tag now? IMO if there's anything remotely unique about your sound, people will not call you OSDM...
Old 08-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #133
Lord_Plague

Mylingar - Doda Sjalar
Full album

https://mylingar.bandcamp.com/

sounds real angry
Lord_Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #134
(((OdiumNostrum

Old 08-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #135
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((OdiumNostrum View Post
Sheet, stoked for that new Esoteric!

New project from Spectral Lore dude (who went full on antifa not long ago, but who cares, music is still good...)

https://rednebula.bandcamp.com/track...zgIaNmrXUBC78o
Source of this, please?

New Mgla sounding solid as usual.

New Russian Circles was just released. It’s on Youtube, Spotify etc.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #136
Monsieur Lebeauxxx
THRILLHO

saw these cats at metal threat fest, just plain fierce. BKLYN represent

Monsieur Lebeauxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #137
brutalized

Quote:
Source of this, please?
This is from the Spectral Lore facebook page:

So, I will be starting with some new music right away. This is a cover of a Book of Sand song, a band that I respect and admire deeply, both for its musical and conceptual side. I couldn't imagine years ago that I would be making music with a direct political message and I don't think I'll do it again for some time, but it was very important for me now. It's not just the black metal scene that has been turning more and more reactionary over these last years, it's the world itself. And it's a very dangerous time in history that we currently live in. Fascism needs to be opposed firmly and decisively.

I wanted to make a such a statement for a long time now and the New Zealand mass shooting was the final tipping point. I can't understand how we can go on after such a consciousness-ripping event with the same kind of apologia, horseshoe-theory or downright nazi fascination that's often met in this music. In any case though, let me be completely clear: fuck racism, fascism, white supremacy and also every other form of bigotry like sexism, homophobia, transphobia, classism and so on. If any of the above offends you, too bad. I'm pretty sure that some people will be, but you ought to know where I stand, so it would be best to do this from the beginning. To all others, I hope you enjoy it, and also don't forget to listen to the original song and the fantastic album where it comes from.

https://spectrallore.bandcamp.com/al...-of-sand-cover
brutalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:04 AM   #138
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

I like that.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:15 AM   #139
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Rep Power: 22 Vadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewski

lol what a fuckin libtard dont you realise knifes kill people too what should we ban all knifes now too u snowflake piece of shit
Vadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #140
Honky Reduction

Rep Power: 0 Honky Reduction is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadge View Post
lol what a fuckin libtard dont you realise knifes kill people too what should we ban all knifes now too u snowflake piece of shit
Does it always have to be so black and white? Why not start with a ban of automatic weapons for instance and see what happens.
Honky Reduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:44 PM   #141
Lord_Plague

Missed this but Devourment released another song

Lord_Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #142
(((OdiumNostrum

Old 08-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #143
Gangrene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadge View Post
i hope this is ironic
Gangrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:38 AM   #144
ratsapprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
i hope this is ironic
Sarcastic, motherfucker.
ratsapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #145
acidbong
^^^this guy...

The wait is over
acidbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:21 PM   #146
Gangrene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsapprentice View Post
Sarcastic, motherfucker.

HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Gangrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #147
Azathoth Shrugged
uniquely unqualified

Buying guns for all my antifa friends.
Azathoth Shrugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #148
Deathstalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azathoth Shrugged View Post
Buying guns for all my antifa friends.
Hopefully they use them all on their selves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((OdiumNostrum View Post
This is so good, I don't get the 'hipster pokemon death' that someone said a couple pages back? Maybe he was talking about the album cover.
Deathstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #149
(((OdiumNostrum

Ye, Marlon just talking smack and being jelly of Haunter greatness.

I am probably the only one here caring about Albionic Hermeticism but anyway, a new track...not too eventful, there are some sweet melodies in the last third tho.

---

Quote:
BLUT AUS NORD is extremely proud to present "Hallucinogen"
https://www.loudersound.com/features...MtIaYbk-AeI7oQ

Old 08-09-2019, 01:38 AM   #150
Deathstalker

A new Weeping Sores track

https://www.nocleansinging.com/2019/...Yr52lzn3INVP4U
Deathstalker is offline   Reply With Quote