SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-30-2015, 03:28 AM   #1411
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 25 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of
Re: Beer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mircfool View Post
Yeah, I'm waiting to see what special releases will get down here. Got pernicious and freak of nature last night at my local place. Cool man, I'll be on the lookout then.
I wish I could get Wicked Weed, even just their reggies. Heard those two IPAs are awesome!

Quote:
If you find another one, I'll teku up on that!
Hahaha, I assumed you would want one, but I wasn't 100%. I'll be up there mid and late November. Hopefully I'll find a couple for the both of ya!

Had Founders' Breakfast Stout before these two:

DrippingInsanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #1412
mircfool

We will be getting it regularly now, so if we have a 2nd go around, I can get you some. We also just started getting Cigar City distro again. They started it two years ago but pulled out due to Florida's high demand.

Awesome, would definitely love one of those.

How's SoS? Heard it's really good but haven't sought it out yet. Can't go wrong with breakfast stouts! I'm finding it hard to justify anything else until I kick the Tropicalia keg. I need to throw a party soon.
mircfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #1413
mircfool

1 day old? Yes, please.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #1414
mircfool

Beer mail!

Old 11-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #1415
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 25 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of

Quote:
We will be getting it regularly now, so if we have a 2nd go around, I can get you some. We also just started getting Cigar City distro again. They started it two years ago but pulled out due to Florida's high demand.

Awesome, would definitely love one of those.

How's SoS? Heard it's really good but haven't sought it out yet. Can't go wrong with breakfast stouts! I'm finding it hard to justify anything else until I kick the Tropicalia keg. I need to throw a party soon.
WW and CC? So damn jealous!!! SoS was cool and such. If you haven't had it before, I suppose you could search for some. But, it's not like the greatest thing ever or anything.

The best kind of parties are one-man parties! hahahah

Quote:
Beer mail!

DAMN! Nice, man. Have you had that Melange No 3 before? I opened up one last Black Friday and, even though I can't remember specific tastes, I just remember it being awesome stuff.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:20 AM   #1416
mircfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrippingInsanity View Post
WW and CC? So damn jealous!!! SoS was cool and such. If you haven't had it before, I suppose you could search for some. But, it's not like the greatest thing ever or anything.

The best kind of parties are one-man parties! hahahah
Yeah man, we're getting some nice stuff now. I'm pretty stoked. Ha, that pretty much tells me all I need to know.

I got pretty damn drunk on Saturday. Accidentally downed like 7 16oz pours. whoops.

Quote:
DAMN! Nice, man. Have you had that Melange No 3 before? I opened up one last Black Friday and, even though I can't remember specific tastes, I just remember it being awesome stuff.
I actually haven't had any of their stouts, so I'm definitely curious. Saving it for my 30th in January to split with some friends! That Nelson was on point. Incredible beer. Track 10 was awesome too. That label is fucking metal. Can't wait to try the Toolbox; they apparently brew some great sours.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:16 PM   #1417
mircfool

Tropicalia kicked. Had to get a replacement:

Old 11-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #1418
DrippingInsanity

Quote:
Yeah man, we're getting some nice stuff now. I'm pretty stoked. Ha, that pretty much tells me all I need to know.

I got pretty damn drunk on Saturday. Accidentally downed like 7 16oz pours. whoops.
Still jelly. hahaha Though, that sucks what happened with the Bourbon County for GA.

Damn! That's quite a bit of drinking. I did that a couple of Fridays ago where I drank 3-5 beers at one bar, walked to a meadery and chugged a glass, walked to another bar for a drink, and then walked to the first bar for another drink. But then, drove out to the middle of nowhere, drank some more mead, sat for a bit, and got home. Of course, though, I ate all in between and this all occurred over 5-6 hours. So, I wasn't blitzed or anything when I drove, ya know?

Quote:
I actually haven't had any of their stouts, so I'm definitely curious. Saving it for my 30th in January to split with some friends! That Nelson was on point. Incredible beer. Track 10 was awesome too. That label is fucking metal. Can't wait to try the Toolbox; they apparently brew some great sours.
Track 10 sounds pretty dang goood! And I've heard the same with the Toolbox. I've got a Berry Bewitching saved back and might be getting more eventually. Even though it doesn't get the best score on BA, their Purple Drink sounds delicious!

Quote:
Tropicalia kicked. Had to get a replacement:

Sounds mighty fine! BTW, shoot me your address as I accidentally threw out the box that yours on it. I've got some goodies for ya. Also, you want me to send the growler you sent me back?
Old 11-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #1419
Honky Reduction

Rep Power: 0 Honky Reduction is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
1 day old? Yes, please.

Those cans are so sexy. Swedish-liquor stores managed to get some Modern Times Oneida a couple of weeks ago but it was okayish.

Had a Founders Breakfast Stout and a Rodenbach Vintage 2013 this weekend. Splendid stuff!
Honky Reduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #1420
Dizzy Alpaca Party
My body is ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honky Reduction View Post
Those cans are so sexy. Swedish-liquor stores managed to get some Modern Times Oneida a couple of weeks ago but it was okayish.

Had a Founders Breakfast Stout and a Rodenbach Vintage 2013 this weekend. Splendid stuff!
damn, Modern Times ships worldwide now? Didn't know they were that big already. A good friend of mine works there as a brewing assistant, I need to hit him up for some more cases...
Dizzy Alpaca Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #1421
mircfool

Quote:
Still jelly. hahaha Though, that sucks what happened with the Bourbon County for GA.

Damn! That's quite a bit of drinking. I did that a couple of Fridays ago where I drank 3-5 beers at one bar, walked to a meadery and chugged a glass, walked to another bar for a drink, and then walked to the first bar for another drink. But then, drove out to the middle of nowhere, drank some more mead, sat for a bit, and got home. Of course, though, I ate all in between and this all occurred over 5-6 hours. So, I wasn't blitzed or anything when I drove, ya know?
Yeah, the Bourbon County thing is lame as fuck, and most of my usual connections weren't able to snag any. I had to work and got 0 total. Whoa is me.

Damn dude, I would have been annihilated after all that, even with some time in between. Those meads will fuck you up! I'm really enjoying them as a break from beers. Wish I could get some Schramm's or Superstition down here. B Nektar distributes some good stuff.

Quote:
Track 10 sounds pretty dang goood! And I've heard the same with the Toolbox. I've got a Berry Bewitching saved back and might be getting more eventually. Even though it doesn't get the best score on BA, their Purple Drink sounds delicious!
Track 10 was awesome. My favorite so far of the box. Definitely a little hot and could mellow, but the cacao nibs are insanely tasty. I want that purple drink too. Coppertail had a Purple Drank that was really good. I'm a huge sucker for Berliners though.

Quote:
Sounds mighty fine! BTW, shoot me your address as I accidentally threw out the box that yours on it. I've got some goodies for ya. Also, you want me to send the growler you sent me back?
Thanks dude. Done.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #1422
mircfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honky Reduction View Post

I wish I could get more. Got lucky that a friend flew in from San Diego and happened to bring some. Maybe next time!

Breakfast stout is always awesome. Cheers.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:27 AM   #1423
mircfool

aww yiss...

Old 01-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #1424
Honky Reduction

Sweden just got a bunch of Modern Times Aurora and I got my hands on two of them. Caramel, citrus, orange, pine - Quite good! Alot better than the Oneida.

Which Modern Times do you prefer?
Old 01-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #1425
mircfool

I've only had a few modern times, but all of it has been great. Fortunate Island was super tasty. We don't even get them on the east coast!
Old 01-29-2016, 01:20 AM   #1426
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

tries this over the weekend. pretty damn good, but a bit too sweet. it's no chimay imo tho

for anyone in philly, there's a french bistro called the caribou cafe which has really good food and chimay on tap. the chimay is 9$ tho
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:38 AM   #1427
mircfool

more noms.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:04 PM   #1428
Honky Reduction

Had myself a Death by Coconut from Oskar Blues yesterday. Damn what a good beer!
Old 02-24-2016, 03:47 AM   #1429
mircfool

I love that beer! Can't get enough of it.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:15 AM   #1430
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

I tried this Gose from Leipzig which is supposedly a traditional recipe.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/7583/196923/

The first Gose I ever had was Anderson Valley on tap and I actually thought it tasted like vomit with the fizzy and acidic mouthful, slightly sour but light body. I haven't gone back to that one since, but I've kept trying gose when I see it. Had a great one on tap in San Diego at Stone Liberty Station (they brew onsite but most isn't distributed, every beer was excellent, awesome food as well, totally increased my opinion of Stone). I think that one had blood orange and something else in it though. This Ritterguts one is definitely the best I've ever had for a straight, no frills Gose.

The Sierra Nevada one was OK, I'll have to try it again to remember it better. I usually buy their beers multiple times but the gose and tropical IPA they have right now I haven't really wanted to revisit after the first time.

The guy at whole foods mentioned modern times when I was checking out buying the ritterguts, that's the first I heard of it. He told me where to get it but it's a little far. I can't rationalize going so far for beer when there's still plenty around I haven't tried, but now that I hear more people talking about it I am a little curious.
Tomes of Deceit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #1431
mircfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomes of Deceit View Post
I tried this Gose from Leipzig which is supposedly a traditional recipe.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/7583/196923/

The first Gose I ever had was Anderson Valley on tap and I actually thought it tasted like vomit with the fizzy and acidic mouthful, slightly sour but light body. I haven't gone back to that one since, but I've kept trying gose when I see it. Had a great one on tap in San Diego at Stone Liberty Station (they brew onsite but most isn't distributed, every beer was excellent, awesome food as well, totally increased my opinion of Stone). I think that one had blood orange and something else in it though. This Ritterguts one is definitely the best I've ever had for a straight, no frills Gose.

The Sierra Nevada one was OK, I'll have to try it again to remember it better. I usually buy their beers multiple times but the gose and tropical IPA they have right now I haven't really wanted to revisit after the first time.

The guy at whole foods mentioned modern times when I was checking out buying the ritterguts, that's the first I heard of it. He told me where to get it but it's a little far. I can't rationalize going so far for beer when there's still plenty around I haven't tried, but now that I hear more people talking about it I am a little curious.
Man, Goses are such perfect beers for warm days. A friend of mine's wife calls it jizz beer, since it apparently tastes like jizz. Oh well, I really enjoy them! Westbrook brews one of the closest to the original style, so you should try to get your hands on some (probably via trade if you're in California). The Anderson Valley Kimmie, Yink, and Gose isn't a true version, and I'm not a huge fan. Their Blood Orange is fantastic though.

Also, there are some great berlinerweisses coming out now. Toolbox near you would be a good place to check for some. Creature Comforts out of Athens, GA brews one year round that's super balanced and tasty. Florida has a tone of the style and their own variants they call Floridaweisse. Can't go wrong with a syrup or fruit induced berliner. Here's one I did with a french press and blackberries:

Cheers!
Old 03-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #1432
Woody
Armored Virus

Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #1433
Honky Reduction

Dauym!^ I would love to try one of those some day...
Old 03-30-2016, 02:36 AM   #1434
DrippingInsanity

Quote:

more noms.
Man, I can't imagine how much of their stuff you can get. Were you able to get any of the "special release" stuff like See the Stars, etc.?

Quote:
Man, Goses are such perfect beers for warm days. A friend of mine's wife calls it jizz beer, since it apparently tastes like jizz. Oh well, I really enjoy them! Westbrook brews one of the closest to the original style, so you should try to get your hands on some (probably via trade if you're in California). The Anderson Valley Kimmie, Yink, and Gose isn't a true version, and I'm not a huge fan. Their Blood Orange is fantastic though.

Also, there are some great berlinerweisses coming out now. Toolbox near you would be a good place to check for some. Creature Comforts out of Athens, GA brews one year round that's super balanced and tasty. Florida has a tone of the style and their own variants they call Floridaweisse. Can't go wrong with a syrup or fruit induced berliner. Here's one I did with a french press and blackberries:

Cheers!

Imma send you that box here within the next week or so. A local brewery that's pretty new (called Central State) released their first canned offering that was a Gose with cranberries and lime. It's quite delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Heady Topper is some delicious stuff for sure! Need to get my hands on their Focal Banger, which I've heard is amazing!
Old 03-30-2016, 02:38 AM   #1435
DrippingInsanity

Right now, I'm drinking Goose Island's Rare '15 (Imperial Stout aged for two years in 35 year old Heaven Hill barrels).

This stuff is so good, I just...........................[orgasm]

Old 03-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #1436
Honky Reduction

^
Old 04-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #1437
mircfool

Yeah man. I've had pretty much all of Creature Comforts' special releases. Still have curious 2 & 3, Brettomatic, Emergence, Cosmik Debris and Athena Paradiso. Peru much everything is awesome.

I'm sure that Rare is amazing. I've only had a taster of the original. I'm jealous!
Old 04-03-2016, 03:57 AM   #1438
DrippingInsanity

Quote:
Yeah man. I've had pretty much all of Creature Comforts' special releases. Still have curious 2 & 3, Brettomatic, Emergence, Cosmik Debris and Athena Paradiso. Peru much everything is awesome.

I'm sure that Rare is amazing. I've only had a taster of the original. I'm jealous!

I've had both, the '10 and the '15 Rare. The '15 is a different beast, for sure. If you ever try to trade for one, I'd say go for the '15 since it'll be easier and you have room to age it for yourself.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:16 AM   #1439
DrippingInsanity

So, tonight, I went to a solid bottle share that was a total surprise. I arrived with some good beers (in the pic, Tilquin, Drie Fonteinen, Triple Digit), but oh my lord...the guy hosting the share agreed to open some AMAZING beers.

Here were a couple of highlights:

I brought the Maple Chickow!, but this guy had bourbon barrel aged maple syrup to add. Holy shit, guys. If you used the BA maple syrup on your pancakes, you'd be guaranteed to have an orgasm.

And then.......oh boy. The host was going through his cellar and someone suggested opening up his bottle of Sam Adams' Triple Bock. Most know of Sam Adams and might think, "Sam Adams? They might make some decent beer, but what of anything they've made be special?????"

Well, this beer was released a few times in the 1990s and had the highest abv when it was released (last release of this beer was in, I believe, 1997). Today, it is EXTREMELY rare for anyone to have, let alone open up, a bottle of Triple Bock. So, when this guy said it was ok to open up his bottle, my friend and I just looked at each other with mouths opened and said at the same time, "Holy shit!". The beer was so complex, both of us had a very hard time explaining how it tasted. It was intense!

Old 04-03-2016, 05:14 AM   #1440
Honky Reduction

Thats a preatty sweet lineup right there!^

I went to a beer festival last night. Just a sample of the amazing stuff I had:

Avery brewing lilikoi kepolo
Lambiek Special Geuzestekerij De Cam
Cuvee Sofie Alvino Fruit Beer
Stone Ruination Double IPA 2.0
Stone Coffee Milk Stout