SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #1381
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 25 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of
Re: Beer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mircfool View Post
I'm a lazy trader. I really only do if it's an easy sure thing. I'm sure if I put some effort into it, I could get some decent stuff. I have an extra Dayspring that may land me something tasty. We get some ok releases otherwise. I've only split a parasols once, but it was great. I'm drinking some Athena right now. Great berliner.

Damn, those upland beers are pricey, aren't they?
Yeah, I know how that it is. Every time I make a trade, I forget how much I don't feel like wrapping everything up and such. hahaha And yeah, I've heard that Athena is some pretty good stuff along with Tropicalia.

The Uplands are pricey, indeed. $27.25 after tax. I only buy them since they trade quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsapprentice View Post
Got a bottle of Speedway... how long will it last once opened?
Should be ok 24hrs later, shouldn't it?
I mean, it won't be bad for you or anything. But, it'll definitely not taste anything like when you first popped it open. It's like opening a can of soda and then putting it in the fridge over night. It'll lose a healthy dose of its carbonation and will taste very dull.
DrippingInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #1382
mircfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrippingInsanity View Post
Yeah, I know how that it is. Every time I make a trade, I forget how much I don't feel like wrapping everything up and such. hahaha And yeah, I've heard that Athena is some pretty good stuff along with Tropicalia.

The Uplands are pricey, indeed. $27.25 after tax. I only buy them since they trade quite well.
The only things I've traded for were 2013 bcbs, prop, cherry rye and backyard rye, but that was before the distributed to GA. Athena and Trop are great. I'm actually drinking Trop right now. It gets bought out every Thursday from pretty much everywhere. Kinda crazy for a local IPA, but it seems it's because it trades for heady, SOS, pliney and the like. Athena can sit around for a bit, but it's a delicious beer. Glad we have a year-round berliner available. If you want some, just let me know.

Geez, that's like the Cascade stuff. They're like $29 after tax. I have a kriek chilling in my "cellar."
mircfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:07 AM   #1383
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 25 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of

Quote:
The only things I've traded for were 2013 bcbs, prop, cherry rye and backyard rye, but that was before the distributed to GA. Athena and Trop are great. I'm actually drinking Trop right now. It gets bought out every Thursday from pretty much everywhere. Kinda crazy for a local IPA, but it seems it's because it trades for heady, SOS, pliney and the like. Athena can sit around for a bit, but it's a delicious beer. Glad we have a year-round berliner available. If you want some, just let me know.

Geez, that's like the Cascade stuff. They're like $29 after tax. I have a kriek chilling in my "cellar."

Those three BCBS variants are daaaaaamn good. From what I've heard and seeing the ratings that it gets on BA/RB, it doesn't surprise me that every store around you sells out of Tropicalia the minute they get it. I work at a liquor store myself and I know the feeling all too well in regards to Three Floyds stuff, especially Zombie Dust. We might get one case a week and as soon as we get it, it's gone. For ZD, I've had it so many times, so I'm biased. But, it's just a decent IPA and there are many beers out there that are either on par or better than it for less money and more attainable.

If you ever get some Tropicalia or just something good in general to trade, just shoot me a message. I'm always down for a trade.

Yeah, and Cascade are even worse with some of theirs. I've seen quite a few beers from them go for $40+ at shops. It's redonkulous. I mean, some of them are pretty damn good (Apricot, Bourbonic Plague, etc.), but I never seek them out due to their price. From what it looks like, that Kriek seems pretty nice. Speaking of cellars, I need to drink a good bit of mine soon. Too damn much, I tell ya!
Old 08-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #1384
mircfool

Quote:
Those three BCBS variants are daaaaaamn good. From what I've heard and seeing the ratings that it gets on BA/RB, it doesn't surprise me that every store around you sells out of Tropicalia the minute they get it. I work at a liquor store myself and I know the feeling all too well in regards to Three Floyds stuff, especially Zombie Dust. We might get one case a week and as soon as we get it, it's gone. For ZD, I've had it so many times, so I'm biased. But, it's just a decent IPA and there are many beers out there that are either on par or better than it for less money and more attainable.

If you ever get some Tropicalia or just something good in general to trade, just shoot me a message. I'm always down for a trade.

Yeah, and Cascade are even worse with some of theirs. I've seen quite a few beers from them go for $40+ at shops. It's redonkulous. I mean, some of them are pretty damn good (Apricot, Bourbonic Plague, etc.), but I never seek them out due to their price. From what it looks like, that Kriek seems pretty nice. Speaking of cellars, I need to drink a good bit of mine soon. Too damn much, I tell ya!
Yeah, those trades were definitely worth it. The variants are fantastic. The craziest part is that college kids in Athens drink creature comforts at parties and shit instead of the normal bud light and miller light, so they don't distribute a ton outside of Athens. A lot of it doesn't make it to the Atlanta area.

I really like ZD, but there are a few local pale ales that are very similar, so I can't complain. Wouldn't mind having it regularly though. I had a buddy from Chicago send a six pack down for a friend's birthday, and he was stoked.

I can get anything in ATL distro and some other stuff. Orpheus has some great beers. I'll message you soon about a trade!

Yeah, I'll give most things a try, but when we're talking about prices like that for a beer, it's quite off putting.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #1385
Mick Bynes
Fabulous Dude

Menabrea is my favorite beer of all-time. Whenever I'm not able to drink it, I usually go for Peroni or Birra Moretti.
Mick Bynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:20 AM   #1386
DrippingInsanity

Some of the stuff I bought in Columbus while on my way back from Hell's Headbash. Drinking one of the Columbus Brewing Co.'s Bodhi growlers right now. Delicious stuff.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #1387
mircfool

That's awesome. I've really wanted to try that Calm Before the Storm. Sounds really good. I think it just dropped here this week.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:39 AM   #1388
DrippingInsanity

So, this happened last night. Everyone brought a bottle (I brought the 2010 Vanilla) and out of them all, I'd say my favs were Rare, '10 Vanilla, and '13 Prop.

Quote:
That's awesome. I've really wanted to try that Calm Before the Storm. Sounds really good. I think it just dropped here this week.
Unfortunately, the Calm Before the Storm was actually bought for someone else. I've never had it before (as they don't distribute to Indiana) and I didn't pick one up for myself. Oh well. I suppose I can just pick one up when I go to Chicago or something for a concert.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:43 AM   #1389
mircfool

Damn son, that's bad ass!! How much did you have of each? I'd be tanked after even a 2oz pour of all of those. Rare is incredible, so I don't blame you. '14 prop was great, and I've heard '13 was that much better. I guess the sellout did hurt their beers...

Oh, really? I'm sure it'll be readily available, if you decide to go to Chicago. It's distributed here, I just need to pick some up.

Possibly getting a keg of Tropicalia tomorrow, so that will be nice to sip on at home.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:32 AM   #1390
DrippingInsanity

Quote:
Damn son, that's bad ass!! How much did you have of each? I'd be tanked after even a 2oz pour of all of those. Rare is incredible, so I don't blame you. '14 prop was great, and I've heard '13 was that much better. I guess the sellout did hurt their beers...

Oh, really? I'm sure it'll be readily available, if you decide to go to Chicago. It's distributed here, I just need to pick some up.

Possibly getting a keg of Tropicalia tomorrow, so that will be nice to sip on at home.
Let me give you some advice, if you ever decide to join in on a Bourbon County variant bottle share.

1. Eat a hefty meal before the event. Along with that, be sure there's something to eat during the whole thing (pizza, chips, pretzels, whatever)

2. Take your time. If the group wants to keep on popping bottles, tell them to cool their jets and let things settle down.

3. Definitely drink lots of water between each one to wash your palate and hydrate yourself.

4. [Optional] Bring a tiny little taster for each beer being poured. One of the guys did this and it made sense as it allowed him to get a pour of everything as well as being able to taste how they all changed as they got warmer.

At this bottle share, I didn't do any of the above and ended up puking numerous times. Thankfully, a couple of friends and I Uber'd the way there and back, so I didn't have to worry about driving myself back. I remember everything I had, except for the Backyard Rye, though it didn't matter too much as I've had it before and have another bottle in my fridge. But man, I think the two things that really did it for me was that my group went WAY too fast and I didn't eat too much beforehand. Anyhow, all in all, it was a good experience. Everyone had enough for like 2-3 oz. pour of each bottle. I think overall, the Rare was the best of show. Such a delicate, yet powerful beer with an intoxicating smell. Rich, velvety chocolate with subtle bourbon overtones that still tingled the taste buds. Mmmmmm......

It's funny. I don't really like coconut, but gat-dang did that '13 Prop blow me away. The '14 Prop was pretty nice with it's big notes of cinnamon, but the '13 Prop was just so.....special. I don't know.

Damn, a whole keg (I'm guessing sixtel?) of Tropicalia? Sounds like it'll be a good week for you! hahaha
Old 09-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #1391
mircfool

Quote:
Let me give you some advice, if you ever decide to join in on a Bourbon County variant bottle share.
Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely use them if I happen upon something awesome like that.

Quote:
At this bottle share, I didn't do any of the above and ended up puking numerous times.
I just about spit out my drink at that. You sounded so reserved before that. don't worry, a place near me had BCBS on draft with no one else aware of it. I drank 5 pours and blacked out. Worth it!

Quote:
But man, I think the two things that really did it for me was that my group went WAY too fast and I didn't eat too much beforehand. Anyhow, all in all, it was a good experience.
Yeah. the last bottle share we had, everyone was so eager to get to everything that they kind of flew right by it all. I kept asking to slow down, but no one listed. still enjoyed it!

Quote:
It's funny. I don't really like coconut, but gat-dang did that '13 Prop blow me away. The '14 Prop was pretty nice with it's big notes of cinnamon, but the '13 Prop was just so.....special. I don't know.
I need to get my hands on a '13. Just had 14 so far. It was great, but I could tell it could be better.

Quote:
Damn, a whole keg (I'm guessing sixtel?) of Tropicalia? Sounds like it'll be a good week for you! hahaha
It'll be a 1/4 barrel! The last one I had was a pale ale that lasted about 25 days. I got it 4 days after the kegging date, so it didn't fade at all. I'll send you a growler of it, if you'd like!
Old 10-01-2015, 12:51 AM   #1392
mircfool

9 day old Tropicalia keg (3 Days when I got it)

Old 10-02-2015, 05:19 AM   #1393
DrippingInsanity

Quote:

I just about spit out my drink at that. You sounded so reserved before that. don't worry, a place near me had BCBS on draft with no one else aware of it. I drank 5 pours and blacked out. Worth it!
hahaha, really? Didn't know I had given off that impression. Although, I rarely get drunk as I know how to pace myself. But, on instances such as these, I may go a bit overboard. Damn, drinking BCBS (+variants) on tap is the bomb! Five pours would have been a tribute to how delicious that shit is!

Quote:
It'll be a 1/4 barrel! The last one I had was a pale ale that lasted about 25 days. I got it 4 days after the kegging date, so it didn't fade at all. I'll send you a growler of it, if you'd like!
Quote:
9 day old Tropicalia keg (3 Days when I got it)

Dude, yes! If you're serious, I'll send you an empty growler to fill.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:16 AM   #1394
mircfool

Quote:
hahaha, really? Didn't know I had given off that impression. Although, I rarely get drunk as I know how to pace myself. But, on instances such as these, I may go a bit overboard. Damn, drinking BCBS (+variants) on tap is the bomb! Five pours would have been a tribute to how delicious that shit is!
I just wasn't ready for a puke story, so it caught me off guard. Too funny. Yeah, I hardly ever get drunk, and it's usually a special occasion with crazy bottles. Cherry Rye draft was incredible, but the BCBS regular is still awesome. Yep, I shouldn't have done it, but it was once in a lifetime to have as many as I damn well pleased (being down here in GA).

Quote:
Dude, yes! If you're serious, I'll send you an empty growler to fill.
Ha. no need to send me an empty and waste the shipping. I have about 10 32oz empties. PM me your address, and I'll send one this week.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:39 AM   #1395
DrippingInsanity

Quote:
Ha. no need to send me an empty and waste the shipping. I have about 10 32oz empties. PM me your address, and I'll send one this week.

You serious?! I'll shoot you a message then.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:37 AM   #1396
DrippingInsanity

Doing gifs because why the fuck not?

Love Founders' Breakfast Stout!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:50 AM   #1397
DrippingInsanity

Now drinking: St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition

Delicious.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #1398
mircfool

Hell yeah. Love that tired hands teku!
Old 10-13-2015, 01:26 AM   #1399
DrippingInsanity

It's actually a Mikkeller teku. Though, Tired Hands' tekus and this one are pretty similar.

Anyhow, now drinking Three Floyds' Pear Bear. This is tasting pretty damn nice. Sour, yet not too overly sour, with a decent amount of tartness, and a nice little bouquet of fruitiness to wrap it all up.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #1400
mircfool

ah, that's even cooler! I just like the hand flipping me off.

That sounds great. I don't think I've had a pear sour before. I'm sure it adds a bit of tart, unless they let them get super ripe before adding.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #1401
mircfool

new glassware!

Last edited by mircfool; 10-18-2015 at 09:54 PM..
Old 10-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #1402
mircfool

I don't know how to resize things ^.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:22 AM   #1403
DrippingInsanity

Quote:
ah, that's even cooler! I just like the hand flipping me off.

That sounds great. I don't think I've had a pear sour before. I'm sure it adds a bit of tart, unless they let them get super ripe before adding.
Ha, yeah. Tired Hands, though, does make some awesome glasses! Well, Pear Bear is a kettle sour, so it's not too "true". It's pretty much on the edge of being sour and being too sour to the point where my stomach is churning & will expel all that I drank before.

Quote:
new glassware!

Copy/paste the link and edit your previous post.

Also, that looks like a Wicked Weed glass. Yes? Either way, it looks pretty damn awesome!
Old 10-18-2015, 09:59 PM   #1404
mircfool

Sounds pretty tasty! I had something way too sour earlier today and I was kinda hungover. Almost made me gag a bit.

It's a Craft Beer Enthusiast glass. 16 oz, so it's short but stocky. Really like it so far!
Old 10-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #1405
mircfool

So glad Wicked Weed distributes to GA now. Medora on draft!

Old 10-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #1406
Honky Reduction

Rep Power: 0 Honky Reduction is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Now drinking: St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition

Delicious.
Dude! Where you got that glas from?
Honky Reduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:21 AM   #1407
DrippingInsanity

Quote:
So glad Wicked Weed distributes to GA now. Medora on draft!

Had a friend bring back for me some WW stuff, including a couple of Medoras. Good stuff, for sure! Also, btw, your box will be shipped next week. Was gonna ship it last week, but couldn't resist buying some vinyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honky Reduction View Post
Dude! Where you got that glass from?
I got it from a store while I was in Chicago for a show. If I end up seeing another there when I go up again later in November, I'll buy a couple (one for you and another for if someone else wants it).
Old 10-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #1408
Honky Reduction

Rep Power: 0 Honky Reduction is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds awesome man!
Honky Reduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #1409
mircfool

Quote:
Had a friend bring back for me some WW stuff, including a couple of Medoras. Good stuff, for sure! Also, btw, your box will be shipped next week. Was gonna ship it last week, but couldn't resist buying some vinyl.
Yeah, I'm waiting to see what special releases will get down here. Got pernicious and freak of nature last night at my local place. Cool man, I'll be on the lookout then.

Quote:
I got it from a store while I was in Chicago for a show. If I end up seeing another there when I go up again later in November, I'll buy a couple (one for you and another for if someone else wants it).
If you find another one, I'll teku up on that!
Old 10-30-2015, 12:58 AM   #1410
mircfool

Nomnomnom.