SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #1201
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

Re: Beer Thread

I'm fucking obsessed with this beer. It's 60 minute IPA brewed with grape must. It's just the right balance of sweetness a little bit of sourness. Looks beautiful too, the head is slightly purplish at first.
Tomes of Deceit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #1202
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

Rep Power: 18 cry0fth3carr0ts beat up jewskicry0fth3carr0ts beat up jewski

i got a bottle of the bourbon barrel quad and the reboot white ipa both from boulevard brewing here in kc. really enjoyed both.
cry0fth3carr0ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:09 AM   #1203
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 25 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry0fth3carr0ts View Post
i got a bottle of the bourbon barrel quad and the reboot white ipa both from boulevard brewing here in kc. really enjoyed both.
hahaha, I just picked up a bottle of both about an hour ago, along with Prairie's Bomb!, Against the Grain's Bo & Luke, Three Floyds Broo Doo, Stone's Suede, and other good stuff.
DrippingInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #1204
Iain Avstin

Been drinking this quite a bit recently;
Iain Avstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #1205
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 25 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mircfool View Post

Haha. Shit. I was kinda drunk:

Deliverance is one of my favorite beers, now. I've had it out of a bottle before, but the smoothness and flavor was just on another level on draught. I probably should have just gotten 3 of that. The BA Rasputin was more disappointing than I remember. Almost seemed like a light porter to me. Not nearly on the same planet as the other two.
Damn, that would be awesome. Plus the added bonus of a Westy 12? Niceee

Yeah, the BA Rasputin is quite the disappointment. Definitely a waste of $23 for a 500 mL bottle (or whatever they're charging for a glass on tap). Though, it might be pretty good with a year or two of age on it. Not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mircfool View Post
Oh hell yeah. I'm glad you got to experience them. The Rare is really one of the finest beers on the planet. Insanely smooth. I really wish I could get my hands on more, too. The crazy part is that all of this is still from the original team before InBev bought them out. I'm curious to see of the new guys were able to hold their own and produce the same product. It would be a shame, if not.
Rare was too smooth for my feeble little mind to fathom. hahaha Would wish I was able to obtain a bottle for not an outrageous amount of money. Though, if you haven't seen already, they're going to be releasing some new variants of BCBS this year.

Quote:
Bourbon County Brand Barleywine:
Aged in third use bourbon barrels (previously bourbon and Bourbon County Brand Stout)
Available in 4pks in limited quantities

Backyard Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout:
Aged in Templeton Rye whiskey barrels with fresh mulberries, marionberries, and boysenberries
Available in 22oz Bombers in even more limited quantities

Proprietor's Bourbon County Brand Stout:
Available ONLY IN CHICAGO, thanks for all the support over the past 25 years.
Aged in Templeton Rye whiskey barrels with coconut toasted by our brewers
Available in 22oz Bombers in VERY limited quantities
Hopefully, with working at a liquor store somewhat near Chicago, I'll get some of the Bourbon Count Brand Barleywine and Backyard Rye BCBS. Probably won't be able to get a hand on the Proprietor bottle, unless my brother is able to snag a couple of bottles.

By the way, my untappd name is the same as it is on this board. Add me, everyone.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #1206
DrippingInsanity

In other news, one of my shipments came in today. Awwwww yeaaaaaahhhh

Last edited by DrippingInsanity; 10-27-2013 at 02:24 AM..
Old 10-27-2013, 03:28 AM   #1207
DrippingInsanity

Old 10-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #1208
emperadorXXIV

my choice of drink this morning (I work nights)

emperadorXXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #1209
bambaclat
SLAWTH

Finally tried Ghost Face Killah and it wasn't bad. The heat that lingered in my mouth was not as intense as I have anticipated for a chili beer.
bambaclat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #1210
DrippingInsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambaclat View Post
Finally tried Ghost Face Killah and it wasn't bad. The heat that lingered in my mouth was not as intense as I have anticipated for a chili beer.
That's quite interesting. Do you perhaps eat a lot of spicy foods?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:31 AM   #1211
SwedeMetal
Total Dilf!

enjoying this VERY much... http://renegadebrewing.com/brews/redacted-ipa/
SwedeMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:30 AM   #1212
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Avstin View Post
Been drinking this quite a bit recently;
Wasn't a fan of this one. It got overbearing after the first several sips. Too artificial tasting to me.

I had a bunch of Smuttynose pumpkin ale while in Boston. Seemed underwhelming at first but grew on me a lot until I thought it was a great beer. That seems to happen to me with Smuttynose.
Tomes of Deceit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #1213
DrippingInsanity

Here's my latest haul that I've gotten over the past couple of weeks. There's quite a bit missing, but I didn't feel like taking more pictures.

LtoR: Goose Island's Lolita (2013), New Belgium's La Folie (2013), Hair of the Dog's Blue Dot, Rodenbach's Grand Cru, Deschutes' Black Butte XXV, Firestone Walker's Velvet Merkin, Upland's Kiwi Lambic, Against the Grain's Bo & Luke, Evil Twin's Justin Blabaer, Prairie's Bomb!, and Founders' Backwoods Bastard.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #1214
novareaper
¯\(°_o)/¯

whats the next step for a beer noob? really enjoyed sierra nevada pale ale. tried hoegaarden and it was OK but way too sweet/spicy for me. i also enjoy mainstream swill like dos equis and stella artois.
novareaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #1215
DrippingInsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by novareaper View Post
whats the next step for a beer noob? really enjoyed sierra nevada pale ale. tried hoegaarden and it was OK but way too sweet/spicy for me. i also enjoy mainstream swill like dos equis and stella artois.
Not entirely sure what you're able to get at your local stores, but here's some suggestions:

Ballast Point
-Sculpin

Bear Republic
-Racer 5

The Bruery
-Mischief
-Saison Rue

Dogfish Head
-60 minute IPA
-90 minute IPA
-Indian Brown Ale

Firestone Walker
-Double Jack
-Wookey Jack

Goose Island
-Bourbon County Brand Stout (comes out on Black Friday; buy some if you're able to find any and keep it in the back of your fridge until you're ready for strong stouts)

Great Divide
-Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti (when you're ready to go into stouts)
-Fresh Hop Pale Ale

Green Flash
-Rayon Vert
-West Coast IPA
-Saison Diego

Lagunitas
-A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale
-Hop Stoopid

North Coast
-Old Rasputin (when you're ready to go into stouts)

Ommegang
-Hennepin

Pretty Things
-Jack D'or

Oskar Blues
-Dale's Pale Ale
-Ten FIDY (when you're ready to go into stouts)

Stone
-Arrogant Bastard
-Enjoy By IPA (I think the next one is 12.12.13)
-Imperial Russian Stout (when you're ready to go into stouts)
-Sublimely Self-Righteous
Old 11-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #1216
Morfumax
The Omnipotent Being

Spence, you know I hare you right?
Morfumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #1217
DrippingInsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfumax View Post
Spence, you know I hare you right?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #1218
novareaper
¯\(°_o)/¯

thanks so much for taking the time to type all that out hahah! will get to checking them shits out ASAP!
novareaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #1219
DrippingInsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by novareaper View Post
thanks so much for taking the time to type all that out hahah! will get to checking them shits out ASAP!
No problemo, man. If you have any more questions, feel free to type them up here in this thread.

In other news...

This shit (along with BCBS 2011) was so good, if I had a pair of panties on, they'd be soaked. mmmmmmmmmmm
Old 11-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #1220
DrippingInsanity

Drinking this at the moment.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #1221
FreshFlesh
LongLiveTheNewFlesh

Rep Power: 14 FreshFlesh beat up jewskiFreshFlesh beat up jewski

Lets see stuff I've had recently.

Firestone walker dbl bitters- was really good, but pretty strong in a way I've never had before. Definitely a sipper for me, haven't had many beers have that affect on me.

Ballast point victory at see- A lot of my friends didn't like it, but I did. Kind of reminded me of dogfish head's Palo santo marron in a way, but not that great.

Victory hop devil- On tap, pretty good. Nothing too special.

Stone Enjoy by- probably the best stone I've had, definitely the best ipa I've had from them.

Downtown brown, brown ale- Really good brown ale, I've always passed over this one for some reason, not anymore.

All I can remember for now.
FreshFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #1222
FreshFlesh
LongLiveTheNewFlesh

Had this last night.

I like their idiot ipa, but I think I like this one a but more.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #1223
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

Rep Power: 18 cry0fth3carr0ts beat up jewskicry0fth3carr0ts beat up jewski

i finally got a pack of backwoods bastard! better late than never!
cry0fth3carr0ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #1224
Phallic Carnage

Just fucking drink it.
Phallic Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #1225
DrippingInsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry0fth3carr0ts View Post
i finally got a pack of backwoods bastard! better late than never!
If you need a bottle or two more once the 4pk is done, send me a message.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #1226
DrippingInsanity

Speaking of...

Founders' Backwoods Bastard (2013)

Background Info: Wee Heavy aged in bourbon barrels, 10.2% abv, 50 IBUs, brewed in Grand Rapids, Michigan

Aroma: Very sweet caramel, toffee, chewy malts, a little bit of brown sugar, and a subtle bourbon quality lingering in the background

Mouthfeel: Medium-full/Full body with light-moderate carbonation

Taste: The tongue takes after the nose. Chewy malts and caramel attack the middle of the mouth whilst the big guns take form. As each sip goes down the throat, the bourbon swoops in and caresses the throat with great intensity.

Overall: A fantastic beer to look forward to every year. While I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, I think that it needs some time for this Bastard to fully develop.

92/100
Old 12-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #1227
DrippingInsanity

Stone's Crime

Background Info: Strong Ale, 100+ IBUs, 9.6%, aged in bourbon barrels, brewed in Escondido, California; includes red and green jalapeños, Carribean red hots, and more.

Appearance: Thin tan head that quickly dissipated and a dark ruby body with light brown highlights.

Aroma: Smells like a palmful of jalapeños that were stored in bourbon barrels. Also getting some breadyness, oak, and some citrus to top it all off.

Mouthfeel: Too hot to focus

Taste: Light fruits and a tad of bourbon on the front of the tongue. But, as soon as each sip crosses the middle of the mouth, be sure to prepare your anus. The heat on this thing is IMMENSE! The peppers and jalapeños essentially engulf the entire palate with absolutely no mercy. The alcohol from the bourbon barrels only accentuates the heat.

Overall: Boy, is my stomach gonna hurt later on. If you're a fan of extremely hot and spicy beers, definitely buy this. If you're not a fan or even just a somewhat fan, be sure to steer clear from this. Or, buy a bottle and sit on it for at least a year. But DAMN! After taking a sip 15 minutes ago, I can still feel the peppers going to work on my taste buds.

undrinkable/100
Old 12-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #1228
FreshFlesh
LongLiveTheNewFlesh

Did you drink that bcbs yet? I'm jelly, shit sold out quick here.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #1229
DrippingInsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFlesh View Post
Did you drink that bcbs yet? I'm jelly, shit sold out quick here.
So far, I've only had a barleywine and the reg. Both are excellent, especially the barleywine.

The regular BCBS should be available in your area since they made a shit ton of it.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:26 AM   #1230
DrippingInsanity

Long story short: I got a bottle of these two today.

Just had the Ninja vs. Unicorn and HOLY MOTHER OF SARAJEVO! This is without a doubt one of the best Imperial IPAs I've ever had! Grapefruit, pine, lemon, and a smooth malt bill melded together into a perfect concoction. Dare I say....it's better than Pliny? The pine and citrus hug every single taste bud in my mouth and caress them with words of sweet, sweet nothings. Next time I drive up to Chicago, I will definitely buy an entire case if I can just so I can. And might I add, this bottle is only one day old! Fresh as fuck.