SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 AM   #1
Regurgitated

Beer Thread

Last edited by Regurgitated; 12-13-2011 at 04:55 PM..
Regurgitated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
Holo
Burgerman

I will hopefully try some of your american beers this year but my allowance is very low. I swear on the Reinheitsgebot. There are a lot of crazy beers in Belgium too, which are way similar to the american ones.
Holo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
dorin mihai

if you like chimay bleue, which in my opinion is an average trappiste, you would definitely love rochefort 8 and 10 (trappiste) and Schneider Aventinus (Tap 6) - a bavarese bock beer.
As for trappistes, Orval is top tier, really outstanding and unique.
dorin mihai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
emperadorXXIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regurgitated_Guts View Post

emperadorXXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Ander

http://forums.smnnews.com/showthread...highlight=Beer
Ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Definitely age the Abyss.

Dude Chimay is the worse Trappist monastery. Get a hold of Westvleteran 12 and The La Trappe Quad, those are the best ones, IMO. Westvleteran is super hard to get and pricey when you do, but yeah, it is sooooo worth it. Its widely regarded as the best beer in the world. Anyways here's a pic of the La Trappe quad I had the other day:

Look at that head. And that wasn't a result of a shitty pour, it is naturally that billowy. Amazing head retention and lacing as well. so amazingly complex; I'm not even going to bother describing the flavor profile on this beer, as I would be typing all night. get this beer ASAP.(quads age amazingly well up to 5 years.)

Here's a pic of the North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout (probably my favorite stout)

Insanely complex, citrusy hops quickly fade into fruity blackberries which leads into a robust roasted malt finish which sustains for a long time. Best stout money can buy, in my opinion.

Green Flash west coast IPA:

god damn, I love this fucking beer! Definitely the closet thing to Pliny the Elder since, well Pliny the Elder. Great alternative.
flayedandskinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flayedandskinned View Post

Dude Chimay is the worse Trappist monastery. Get a hold of Westvleteran 12 and The La Trappe Quad, those are the best ones, IMO. Westvleteran is super hard to get and pricey when you do, but yeah, it is sooooo worth it. Its widely regarded as the best beer in the world. Anyways here's a pic of the La Trappe quad I had the other day:

Look at that head. And that wasn't a result of a shitty pour, it is naturally that billowy. Amazing head retention and lacing as well. so amazingly complex; I'm not even going to bother describing the flavor profile on this beer, as I would be typing all night. get this beer ASAP.(quads age amazingly well up to 5 years.)

Here's a pic of the North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout (probably my favorite stout)

Insanely complex, citrusy hops quickly fade into fruity blackberries which leads into a robust roasted malt finish which sustains for a long time. Best stout money can buy, in my opinion.

god damn, I love this fucking beer! Definitely the closet thing to Pliny the Elder since, well Pliny the Elder. Great alternative.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
Szadou
#GlitterTearsCoterie

I love these threads. All these faggits come outta the woodwork talking about beer like they're fucking connoisseurs when in reality everyone here would pound a cold Heineken before even considering drinking any horrible overpriced basement made microbrew.
Szadou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #9
Szadou
#GlitterTearsCoterie

Also I like this:

Unpasteurized 'n shit, tastes real good. AND DA POUR OMG BRA, DA POUR.

Okay, I don't even know how it pours since I never even drank it out of a glass... Cause I ain't no FAGGET BITCH!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:45 AM   #10
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadou View Post
I love these threads. All these faggits come outta the woodwork talking about beer like they're fucking connoisseurs when in reality everyone here would pound a cold Heineken before even considering drinking any horrible overpriced basement made microbrew.
That's definitely not me, chief. Fine craft beer is just as a big of a passion in my life as music. I can't count how many times I've been at parties and had to drink soda because all they had was shit beer. I can't bring myself to drink that shit anymore. It's been years since I've had an adjunct lager.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadou View Post
Also I like this:

Unpasteurized 'n shit, tastes real good. AND DA POUR OMG BRA, DA POUR.

Okay, I don't even know how it pours since I never even drank it out of a glass... Cause I ain't no FAGGET BITCH!
dude, depending on the beer and the shape/style of glass you pour it into, it can definitely effect the beer. For example, the tulip glasses you see in those pics I use for most styles of beer, because it promotes aroma and head. The natural contours of the glass help agitate the yeast to increase flavor and allow the carbination to last longer as well. Sounds like BS, I know and I was pretty skeptical, but after seeing, smelling and tasting the difference, it is really true!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #12
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 22 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski
jesus fuck, flayed! you're quoting yourself now... and that in the post immediately after the quoted post (with no alterations except for a fixed image link)?! what the fuck is wrong with you? have you never heard of the "edit" button? is that why you beat up your dad and gf? they told you to use the edit button, didn't they...

morons. morons never change
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #13
Szadou
#GlitterTearsCoterie

Quote:
That's definitely not me, chief. Fine craft beer is just as a big of a passion in my life as music. I can't count how many times I've been at parties and had to drink soda because all they had was shit beer. I can't bring myself to drink that shit anymore. It's been years since I've had an adjunct lager.
Here I was thinking your passion was taking care of someone else's kids bra

Good for you.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

Rep Power: 18 cry0fth3carr0ts beat up jewskicry0fth3carr0ts beat up jewski
i like beer.

i like this beer-

and this beer-

really i like all the flying dog stuff.

also, i miss pete's wicked ale. i can't find it anymore
cry0fth3carr0ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

Should use the big beer thread that already exists.

I tried the Abyss this winter, and I thought it was amazing for the first glass or so, but there's no way I could drink the whole bottle. It was just too much. Would be good if I had someone to split it with.

Bourbon county was a little over the top for me as well the one time I had it. Not in the sense that I found it undrinkable, I just didn't see the appeal of going that thick and dark.

Love Old Rasputin (and pretty much everything I've tried from North Coast).

Need to try that Green Flash IPA. I see it all the time but it never caught my eye.
Tomes of Deceit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
jesus fuck, flayed! you're quoting yourself now... and that in the post immediately after the quoted post (with no alterations except for a fixed image link)?! what the fuck is wrong with you? have you never heard of the "edit" button? is that why you beat up your dad and gf? they told you to use the edit button, didn't they...

morons. morons never change
For one, it was like four AM and I was tired as fuck and hit the wrong button on my touch screen phone. Chill the fuck out.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomes of Deceit View Post

I tried the Abyss this winter, and I thought it was amazing for the first glass or so, but there's no way I could drink the whole bottle. It was just too much. Would be good if I had someone to split it with.

Bourbon county was a little over the top for me as well the one time I had it. Not in the sense that I found it undrinkable, I just didn't see the appeal of going that thick and dark.

Need to try that Green Flash IPA. I see it all the time but it never caught my eye.
I'wm dying to try North Coast's Saison. Their Golden Belgian is exquisite.

Definitely try that Green Flash West Coast IPA, but make sure it is a fresh batch(check the batch date) the older an IPA gets the more diminished the hops get.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
GrindYourMind
Jedi Master

GrindYourMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #19
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

Well, people tend to talk about all the most complex styles in threads like these, but I would actually like some recommendations for easy to find/affordable examples of common styles.

For example, I'm not too knowledgeable about wheat beers, but I recently tried North Coast's blue star wheat and I enjoyed that. Or North Coast Mirror Pond pale ale/ red chair NWPA. I see a lot of wheat beers and pale ales at places like Bevmo and I'm not usually inclined to try them - only tried those ones because I like those breweries. Any common beers in the more standard styles that are really good examples of the style?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #20
Regurgitated

Quote:

I've had the Old Rasputin before, definitely worth checking out if any of you haven't tried it. it's fairly easy to find too, at least around here in my area...

They have West Coast IPA on tap at one of the bars I frequent, that's all me and my friends drink there haha

I found some Rochefort and La Trappe the day I bought the Chimay, so I know where I can find it, woot! Westvleteren, as I've heard, is only released by the brewery but my buddy said he's seen it from time to time. Need to try some more North Coast brews as well.
Regurgitated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #21
imbutawaveto
NIGGA GUNK

Rep Power: 21 imbutawaveto beat up jewskiimbutawaveto beat up jewskiimbutawaveto beat up jewski
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindYourMind View Post
Shit's for bitches and you know it. If you're tryin to get wild it's all about this shit right hurrrrrr

imbutawaveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #22
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:

Quote:
Well, people tend to talk about all the most complex styles in threads like these, but I would actually like some recommendations for easy to find/affordable examples of common styles.

For example, I'm not too knowledgeable about wheat beers, but I recently tried North Coast's blue star wheat and I enjoyed that. Or North Coast Mirror Pond pale ale/ red chair NWPA. I see a lot of wheat beers and pale ales at places like Bevmo and I'm not usually inclined to try them - only tried those ones because I like those breweries. Any common beers in the more standard styles that are really good examples of the style?

Mirror Pond/Red Chair are from Deschuttes.

Drake's (local from San Leandro) IPA is wonderful as well. It's insanely bright.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #23
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
I've had the Old Rasputin before, definitely worth checking out if any of you haven't tried it. it's fairly easy to find too, at least around here in my area...

They have West Coast IPA on tap at one of the bars I frequent, that's all me and my friends drink there haha

I found some Rochefort and La Trappe the day I bought the Chimay, so I know where I can find it, woot! Westvleteren, as I've heard, is only released by the brewery but my buddy said he's seen it from time to time. Need to try some more North Coast brews as well.
You can find Westvleteran 12 on ebay, its pricey though. Great investment, though you can age it for a few years and turn around and sell it for 200 hundred bucks on eBay.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #24
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

Quote:
Mirror Pond/Red Chair are from Deschuttes.

Drake's (local from San Leandro) IPA is wonderful as well. It's insanely bright.
Ah, typo. That's why I listed them separately from the north coast blue star...

I've tried Drake's IPA and Drake's amber...wasn't a huge fan of either for some reason. I didn't think the IPA was bad, but I was drinking Racer 5 and Deschutes Inversion at the time, and both of those were better for my taste.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #25
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

For some reason Deshuttes beers have a watery finish to me. their 22s are fucking awesome though. have you tried their Dissident? Its made in the Flander Oud Bruin style, so its a sour beer. Great brew. Flavor profile: dry, sour cherries, vanilla, rhubarb and a slight hint of hops. Here's a pic I snapped at the Toronado of it:

For brown ales, I absolutely love these two beers. the first of the two is like a chocolate malt in beer form! The second is a solid brown ale brewed a Belgian yeast strain, so fucking tasty!

Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale:

Karl Strauss' Full Suit Brown:

Old 05-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #26
GrindYourMind
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltarsofMadness6 View Post
Shit's for bitches and you know it. If you're tryin to get wild it's all about this shit right hurrrrrr

http://www.bumwine.com
GrindYourMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #27
captaincleanoff
metal connoisseur

best beer in the world, without a doubt, comes from my own brewery.

captaincleanoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #28
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
A friend of mine is a beer connoisseur and just acquired a few of these today and is planning on aging one. I spoke to Nico the other day about trappist beers and purchased a Chimay Bleue as a result; it was PHENOMENAL. Any beer enthusiasts here? Recommendations? My next purchase will be one of these:

The Nico you mention wouldn't happen to be Nico from the 21st Amendment, would it?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #29
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

Rep Power: 18 cry0fth3carr0ts beat up jewskicry0fth3carr0ts beat up jewski
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincleanoff View Post
best beer in the world, without a doubt, comes from my own brewery.

i'll be the judge of that!
cry0fth3carr0ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #30
Somnium
Obscured Reality

ITT: Me wishing I was 21...
Somnium is offline   Reply With Quote