SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 4.74 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #121
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Yeah the last bit with Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann or what it's called was way off. I've never before seen fireball-explosions that would normally take millions of years to expand. Also lol at the Anti-Spiral just trying to grab the earth from another dimension.

The new Ika Musume episode was hilarious, best so far. Holy lol at the Samurai Ghosts having surfboards, and the squid-ink gag totally got me again.

Last edited by Naitz; 10-25-2010 at 09:22 PM..
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #122
Naitz
Grim Fandango

So the last semester of anime has it's seasons finished and I will comment on those I watched through:

Shinryaku! Ika Musume

Super awesome. I have no doubt this will become a timeless classic. If you like Shin-Chan or similar stuff check it out. I knew already from the opening theme I would enjoy it, it's probably my favourite OP besides Najica Blitztactics (Which has a mega awesome funk big band score available on cd, I can upload if s.o. wants).
9/10 (9 because some episodes weren't as good as others)

Otome Yōkai Zakuro

The story is set in the 19th century in Japan and deals with the influence of British colonialism on the old Japan. The old Japan is more or less fictional though, it's about a military project involving English soldiers and Japanese "spirits" and "half-spirits". (Whom have to fight actual evil spirits) The two lovestories involving the four main characters are the major drive though.
The approach is basically serious, but with plenty of subtle humor. The story doesn't really conclude, obviously they are planning for further episodes.
Still, if you like romance anime you might like it, I did.
There is some really good music in it too, especially the Zakuro flower something song.
7/10

Bakuman

A story about two middle schoolers becoming Mangaka. I think I described it before essentially. It turned out really good. There's nothing outstanding idea-wise, but the execution is really good, story and image wise.
8.5/10

Ore no Imōto (ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai)

A story about a female teenage fashion model who is the one of those "school-queens", but has a secret addiction towards ero-games which she only shares with her brother.
Incest is one theme, the social role of "nerds" the more predominant.
It isn't concluded and (hopefully) there will be more seasons.
Like I said before, the character design is superb, it's worth watching alone from this standpoint. Other than that, if you like stories about friendship, relations in general, you might like it. Well I loved it, 9/10

For those wondering why I give such high scores, I've checked out (only ~2-3 eps) most of the last seasons anime too, and those mentioned where the best imo.

Apart from that I watched two older ones:

Welcome to the NHK

A story about a hikikomori (S.o. who doesn't leave his living place, a basement dweller) who gets to know a girl who wants to help him out in her very own way and becomes friend with his neighbour. A very beautiful story about purpose of life, suicide, love.
It's sad and hopeful at the same time which made it pretty cool. It's unique to say the least, and I bet some of the guys here could identify with at least one of the two male protagonists.
8.5/10

Eden of the East

Started out very promising, got even more promising, got absurdly stupid and after all it just sucked. I don't want to rate it, maybe it's just not for me. At least the technical execution was excellent.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #123
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Welcome to the NHK rules pretty hard. Trippy shit. Love Gonzo, even their shitty anime is top-notch.

Will have to check out Otome Yōkai Zakuro. I love anything involving the Mejii era. Interesting stuff.
disGUSt(tx) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #124
temproh

I'd recommend Armitage III and Cyber City Oedo 808 if you're into cyberpunk stuff. Here's what I wrote in the film thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temproh
Watched Armitage III (OVA and movie) yesterday. Story was ok but nothing special. I loooved some of the cyberpunk visuals. The movie was a little step down from the OVA but still ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by temproh
Watched Cyber City Oedo 808. Good cyberpunk anime, even though I was hoping for better visuals, plus all those 80's hair syles kinda pissed me off. Recommended for fans Akira or cyberpunk in generall.
Right now I'm watching SDF Macross. It's a bit cheesy at times but I'm really enjoying it. Certainly one of the better anime space operas. It may take a while to get used to the drawing style (70s), though.

temproh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #125
Transient
i wont

hey how do you guys watch this? do you buy DVDs? i want high quality visuals... and stuff like 3 part youtube uploads never deliver. is this on netflix? im interested in it.... i just dont know where to start other than funimation DVD releases
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #126
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Netflix has a great selection of anime last time I checked. I usually use tube sites though, or I download. Dubhappy.com is a good source for dubbed anime series. Animefreak.com is also pretty good if you want the subbed stuff but also has a decent amount of dubs.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #127
temproh

Anime downloads are pretty easy to find, I simply use Google. Try to find newer rips, they're usually stored in MKV containers (.mkv file) and encoded with x264 (as opposed to .avi and XviD). x264 works wonders when used for animes. Sometime a torrent file may be your best option when looking for high quality rips. For example, you can find a well seeded torrent for all 36 episodes of SDF Macross here.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #128
Transient
i wont

another noob question though, whats the legality of those downloads? i dont want to rationalize it, but is it not considered illegal if it didnt get american release, or was subbed by fans? is that ok to download?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #129
temproh

Edit: Fan subs/dubs are free. The video still has a copyright, though.

Oh, and you can find Blu-ray rips of movies like Akira or Ghost in a Shell pretty much everywhere. That's probably where you should start.

Last edited by temproh; 01-03-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Old 01-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #130
Transient
i wont

i do have a dvd of akira i bought, never finished it... but i think ill just wait for the live action
Old 01-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #131
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

As anime fans, we don't have many options, especially for stuff that isn't dubbed yet and hasn't been distributed well or even released in the US. Yes, most subbing is done by fans, and technically dubbing for that matter, they also get paid next to nothing (if not nothing at all) and do it rather altruistically.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #132
temproh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient View Post
but i think ill just wait for the live action
Almost forgot about that...
Old 01-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #133
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Quote:
hey how do you guys watch this? do you buy DVDs? i want high quality visuals... and stuff like 3 part youtube uploads never deliver. is this on netflix? im interested in it.... i just dont know where to start other than funimation DVD releases
hongfire.com is a good site to find ongoing anime with several fansubs. They host on plenty one click-hosters.
Another good site is anitenshi.to they have plenty of concluded seasons. (pretty much everything really)
cyber12.com/ is another site that povides new eps maximum a day after airing.
Like said above, .mkv is the way to go, 480p and above look pretty much like DVD quality.

Regarding the legal thing:
You must consider that most of those aren't DVDrips, but ripped from TV. So I don't really see the big deal. The Japanese get to watch them for free too, so why would I have to pay? The other thing is, most of the stuff isn't even released in Europe, and if, it's like 3 years later. I want to watch the new stuff though.
Btw. dubs suck, the Japanese language features some very heavy expression, it's totally exaggerated compared to other languages, especially in anime. It just goes perfect with what you see, once you get used to it you'll never want dubs again.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #134
Skull Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient View Post
i do have a dvd of akira i bought, never finished it... but i think ill just wait for the live action
You don't want to wait for the live action.

Good review Nails, you're an otaku. Where do you live? My pick for this winter is Ore No Imouto, and I actually just shared it with a girl who thought it was weird but wants to finish it cos it's interesting to her.

I myself try to buy anime as much as I can (prefer box sets or complete sets) and definitely buy a lot of manga/ figures/ statues. I do the same with any hobby I have, whether it's music or anime. I have complete/ up to date stuff off Berserk, Akira, Pluto, Hunter X Hunter, NANA, Trigun, Vagabond, Real, Slam Dunk and a few select more. I don't own all of Miyazaki's movies on Blu Ray, but slowly and steadily I shall. I just put up my One Piece calendar at work

Bakuman was something I expected more out of but the hype around anime series these days don't necessarily mean it's good. I somehow prefer Genshiken, and while we're on the subject of characters and manga - Comic Party rules. School Days, to some extent was good too, ooohh boy.

temproh, you should try out Votoms, Patlabor or the original Gundam series (in proper order) if you haven't already ^_^
Skull Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #135
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Nice One Piece poster. I used to have a print of the same one, but it was a little bigger (yours looks like a silk screen though, probably nicer considering mine was unofficial) EDIT: just saw that you said it was a calender. Legit.

My old roommate has a really sweet One Piece tattoo. Done by Neal Dossey of Insect Warfare, War Master, NIBIRU, etc. Dude does good work!

Last edited by disGUSt(tx); 01-04-2011 at 02:55 PM..
Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #136
1by1

Hmmm k.

Ika Musume!
I finally finished watching it. It was an OK anime. Nothing out of the ordinary/outstanding. Quite funny at part. Overall good watch I supposed. I love the OP though...gotta give it that.
7.0/10

Otome Yōkai Zakuro
Awesome. I loved the artwork, music, characters! (the twins...HNNNNNNG), and to a certain extent the story. I think this wouldve been even great if it was more than 13 episodes, but I guess they did a great job with what they had.
8.5/10

Bakuman
Another meh. The manga is better, though some of the transitions looked outstanding.
6/10

Ore no Imōto
I fucking hate the female protagonist. Lolita girl was the best, and male protagonist was a bro. LOL at the underlying incest theme, but I guess thats Japan for you. Fun to watch, but nothing special.
7/10

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
Great series. Kind of slow at times, but overall awesome. For those interested in ghost/mystery, definitely worth checking it out.
8.5/10

Yosuga no Sora
Jesus what a fucking anime. Borderline hentai, incest, harem, everything that the current anime fanbase jerks it to. Watch it because of how "controversial" people were making it out to be. Great music, animation but thats it for me I guess. Kind of like the alternate story going on at the end of each episode more than the actual story.
7/10

Currently watching
Taiyou no Mokushiroku and Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade.

For those interested in watching current/past season anime:

http://www.animetake.com/
Great site for current anime. They usually have links up for fansubbed anime right when it comes out. They provide DDL and torrent links for such releases.

http://www.bakabt.com/
Torrent site with pretty much every old series at high quality video. They usually give you links to download all kinds of version of anime. 420p/720p/1080p, you name it.

http://tokyotosho.info/
Another torrent site with all kinds of links to download anime and alot more.
1by1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #137
Skull Knight

That is an AWESOME Going Merry tattoo disGUSt(tx), I'm jealous 1. because of that tattoo 2. it's on a girl!

Yeah, BakaBT is pretty much where I pick up completed series, and then buy them either when I'm at Otakon or online (like sales and such through Rightstuff). I use Tokyotosho for ongoing series as well. Never used Animetake to be honest.

1by1, Kuroneko in Ore No Imouto is cute! Speaking of a similar genre from what you're currently watching, have you seen Flag? The concept is cool, but it loses it's ground in the middle. Freedom though is just awesome. Planetes is pretty good too.

Do any of you purchase DVDs/ Blu Rays of series or manga?
Skull Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #138
1by1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Knight View Post
That is an AWESOME Going Merry tattoo disGUSt(tx), I'm jealous 1. because of that tattoo 2. it's on a girl!

Yeah, BakaBT is pretty much where I pick up completed series, and then buy them either when I'm at Otakon or online (like sales and such through Rightstuff). I use Tokyotosho for ongoing series as well. Never used Animetake to be honest.

1by1, Kuroneko in Ore No Imouto is cute! Speaking of a similar genre from what you're currently watching, have you seen Flag? The concept is cool, but it loses it's ground in the middle. Freedom though is just awesome. Planetes is pretty good too.

Do any of you purchase DVDs/ Blu Rays of series or manga?
Damn, I thought I'd seen it all but I guess I missed out on Flag. Downloading as we speak. As for Freedom, yeah that shit was sick, though its been a while since I've seen it. Downloading BD of it too.

I only purchase those series that leave a big imprint on me. 21st Century Boys, Honey and Clover , Kara no Kyokai, Evangelion, and a lot of Sateshi Kon's and Makoto Shinkai's works. Though I watch a lot of anime, I tend to keep my liking towards it under wraps, so no figurines/posters for me.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #139
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Knight View Post
Good review Nails, you're an otaku. Where do you live? [/IMG]
Germany. Not that many people liking this stuff around here.

Finally saw this today:

"The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya"

It's pretty long (2:44) and good too. I somehow hoped for more though, the story is again some time traveling stuff and the relationships between the characters are hardly developed. Can't just Kyon and Haruhi fall for each other for good? I also hoped for more background information on the characters which isn't given, it's basically an overlong episode of the series, just with even better visuals. Really, the backgrounds in some scenes are amazing, some of the best stuff I've seen.

Spoilers ahead...

I somehow felt sorry for the "alternate" Yuki, she was so cute as a "normal" girl and now has to be the old emotionless math-wizard again.

PS: Surprisingly, there isn't a single panty shot in it.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #140
Vegan Shinigami
ばかやろう! \(●^o^●)/

I recommend High School of the Dead (or 学園黙示録 or Gakuen Mokushiroku). Its full of zombies and violence and the fan service is fuckin over the top. Highly enjoyable watch!
Vegan Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #141
Naitz
Grim Fandango

I watched two episodes and I hated it. I thought the whole concept is stupid and then the violence just for the sake of it. Plus I didn't like the strange colour-scheme.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #142
klipsk
you fucking drunk!

i didnt read all the thread but ninja scroll is one of my favorites. the fight with the blind samurai in the bamboo thicket is classic.
klipsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #143
1by1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Shinigami View Post
I recommend High School of the Dead (or 学園黙示録 or Gakuen Mokushiroku). Its full of zombies and violence and the fan service is fuckin over the top. Highly enjoyable watch!
Nothing worth seeing in this anime. All gore/violence/fanservice for the sake of gore/violence/fanservice.

Quote:
"The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya"
Kind of overrated. Though the animation was top notch, I still think they could've done more in the back story/background department. Left me really unsatisfied after watching it.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:16 AM   #144
Vegan Shinigami
ばかやろう! \(●^o^●)/

Meh. Each to their own. Sometimes it's enjoyable to watch brainless gory shit :)
Old 01-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #145
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Just watched the second episode of fractale, this one seems really promising.

It's settled in a kind of dystopia, where people only communicate via avatars and give away all their information to a big network in exchange for money, nobody works anymore. The style seems strongly influenced by Miyazaki and the writer is some known social critic apparently.
The visuals and the sparsely used music are good too.

Apart from that I dig Level E so far.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #146
Vegan Shinigami
ばかやろう! \(●^o^●)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitsabesWinklersson View Post
Just watched the second episode of fractale, this one seems really promising.

It's settled in a kind of dystopia, where people only communicate via avatars and give away all their information to a big network in exchange for money, nobody works anymore. The style seems strongly influenced by Miyazaki and the writer is some known social critic apparently.
The visuals and the sparsely used music are good too.
REALLY keen to check this out, thanks for the heads up!

Just picked up the Mushishi Boxset, really odd and quiet series, but the animation and stories are extremely interesting.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #147
Naitz
Grim Fandango

^Wanted to check this out some time ago, but had forgotten about it, guess I'll so now.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:21 AM   #148
1by1

Level E, Fractale and Gosick are the anime that I'm following this season. They are all, to say the least, fun to watch.

Read that Level E was published in like 1995? and it finally got an adaptation in 2011 and it fucking rules. What gives an anime written more than 15 years ago can be more appealing than the shit coming out these past few years...sometimes I wonder. Onto Fractale, the settings/story/quality seems top notch. And as for Gosick, sort of interesting so far, but will see how it develops in a few more episodes.

Quote:
Just picked up the Mushishi Boxset, really odd and quiet series, but the animation and stories are extremely interesting.
You did yourself a favor. Mushishi is such a great series, specially if you enjoy a artsy/chill atmosphere-type anime. The OST is so fucking good too. 5/5 for the series.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #149
Naitz
Grim Fandango

I've been watching the 3 Gossick episodes too, so far. I think it's ok, the story seemed a little too constructed but at least the girl is cute.
Mahou Shoujou Madoka Magika isn't bad either, the second ep sucked so I thought of dropping it, but the new one was pretty good again. It has some interesting art-style and well-designed characters:

http://anisearch.de/?page=anime&id=6601

(Click one of the images for a bigger gallery)

A story isn't really existen so far though...

Apart from that I watched the two eps of Wandering Son and I think it sucks. Too much "in-your-face" transvestite shit (Really, it's like every second character has issues with their sexuality, this just goes too far for a series that has a realistic approach). Also there seems to be no story at all, just whining.

Last edited by Naitz; 01-25-2011 at 05:06 PM..
Old 01-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #150
1by1

Hmm those pics dont show, maybe because you cant hotlink from that site.

And yeah, Wandering Son had me asking: where the fuck is this shit going? Not planning on watching any more of it.

New Black Lagoon OVA came out like a week ago...gonna get on that asap.