SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 4.74 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #91
Skull Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by disGUSt(tx) View Post
Yeah, I really liked that episode haha.

The reason shonen anime often contain animation flaws because of the strict deadlines and ongoing, long storylines. Tell me which shonen series doesn't. Shippuden generally looks amazing.
The flaws Shippuden has is a lot more than say One Piece for instance. OP has had a few episodes where the animation quality dropped, but not as bad as that clip we saw. One Piece, in terms of story, is far better than Naruto or Bleach. Naruto stopped being good right after Jiraiya met Pain, for me at least just as I feel like Death Note got all predictable after L's death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
hokuto no ken, saint seiya, ronin warriors > all these narutos and inuyasha's of yours

ATATATATATATATA, motherfuckers!
Haha all awesome for sure. What do you think of Yu Yu Hakusho, or Flame Of Recca?

Anyone into series on sports like Slam Dunk, Eyeshield 21, Major, Hajime No Ippo, Whistle, Initial D, Aoki Densetsu Shoot!, Captain Tsubasa Road to 2002, Ace wo Nerae!, Capeta, Buzzer Beater? I see Air Gear's mentioned.
Skull Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #92
RottingBeercan
littered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Knight View Post
lol the looney tunes antics in anime are always great
RottingBeercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #93
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
The flaws Shippuden has is a lot more than say One Piece for instance. OP has had a few episodes where the animation quality dropped, but not as bad as that clip we saw. One Piece, in terms of story, is far better than Naruto or Bleach. Naruto stopped being good right after Jiraiya met Pain, for me at least just as I feel like Death Note got all predictable after L's death.
I read One Piece, so I can't really comment on its animation. I gave it a try and decided I liked the manga better, which is usually the case, unless I'm introduced to the anime first.
disGUSt(tx) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:39 AM   #94
Stupefaction
Tom Servo

The only anime I ever really liked was Yu Yu Hakusho and Ruroni Kenshin.
Stupefaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #95
Skull Knight

Quote:
I read One Piece, so I can't really comment on its animation. I gave it a try and decided I liked the manga better, which is usually the case, unless I'm introduced to the anime first.
The anime series is actually pretty good. The Thriller Bark arc for me was just too slow, and the 4-5 bad animation episodes surface in the Impel Down arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupefaction View Post
Gems, they don't make it like these today. Super awesome soundtracks on both, Shishio, Hiko SeiojuroXIII and Saito were my favorite characters off Kenshin.

Black Lagoon's new OVA anyone?
Old 10-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #96
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupefaction View Post
Good place to start! Yu Yu Hakusho is strong enough of a shonen anime that it doesn't rely heavily on a theme, such as ninja or pirates, much like Dragon Ball.

Rurouni Kenshin is amazing if you can make it all the way to the Kyoto arc without giving up. I definitely enjoy the historical fiction perspective of it, as with the Meiji era in Japan, there really was a detente of anxious sword happy samurai who were jobless and unhappy with their new world.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #97
BZM
desolate

the rurouni kenshin and berserk mangas are the two greatest things ever

the trigun anime was perfection

and golden boy is probably the best undiscovered comedy gem
BZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #98
RottingBeercan
littered

Quote:
I definitely enjoy the historical fiction perspective of it
i loved that about Samurai Champloo too. also it was cool that at the same time the historical styles always clashed together with modern styles and references. loved all the hip hop stuff in that show. also created by the same genius behind Cowboy Bebop so you know it's gonna be good to watch for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. it's short like bebop, which really leaves you wanting more, but at the same time it's good that it ends and doesn't drag on.
RottingBeercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #99
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Quote:
Have you guys watched Initial D?
So I watched Initial D stage 1,2,3(movie) and 4. Don't gonna do the special stages.
I think it's pretty cool basically, but too many story-arcs that are boring. Stage one was definitely cool, but got a little lame at the end and stage too bored me. 3 and 4 where cool again, but the last episodes of 4 sucked, no conclusion/real high point at all. Also the music sucks really hard, annoyed the shit out of me sometimes, visual quality isn't exactly great either. I guess one needs to have a fable for racing to enjoy it at all.
Definitely got me in the mood for racing though, now I just need an Impreza.

Also started with the all new and apparently hyped Ore No Imouto.
Only two eps so far, but they seem very promising. Cool theme, excellent character design, general the visual quality is very good.

Relating Manga: The only one I read for some time was Ranma 1/2, which is hilarious. Pretty much all comics that interested me in my life where of the comedy sort, I can't immerse into a serious storyline if it's just black&white and in a reduced style (like most? Manga?)
I saw some screens lately of one that is about a cockroach (looked more like a girl with a cape though), living in the real world, that looked pretty cool.
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #100
Skull Knight

That Trueno was classy eeh. I liked the dynamics of the first 2 seasons and ofcourse Bunta's THE man. Ore No Imouto is fun eehhh ... check Shinryaku Ika Musume. Another fun anime is ... what's it called ... ah! *bingo* ... Umisho.

Ranma 1/2 is so much fun. If you like fun and mecha, you must've checked out Gurren Laggan I guess. There's upgrade after upgrade after epicness to proportions you'd least expect.

I love all sorts of styles or genres, as long as it doesn't bore me. There was a time I couldn't stand cutesy anime because it was SO derivative, but there're always a few good gems here and there. Wait, have you watched Outlaw Star yet? Ergo Proxy's another dense anime series that not a lot of people understood or watched only cos it looked 'cool' versus what it stood for. Gankutsuou is SO under-rated, everything about it is good. What about Rahxephon? Planetes? Legend Of The Galactic Heroes? Aria (The Animation, The Natural, The Origination - i.e. 3 separate series), Special A, Ouran High School Club, Monster, Cromatarie High School, The Vision Of Escaflowne to name a few. Ofcourse then there's a few series I wouldn't recommend cos it'd break you :-)
Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #101
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

I'm not a shojo fan at all. Can't stand the stuff. Only Sailor Moon (actually a shonen anime if you ask me) and Azumnga Daioh. My roommate reads Fushigi Yugi. Fuck that.

I have been trying to finish Gurren Laggen for ever. When it comes to mecha stuff I just stick to Gundam shit and NGE.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #102
Skull Knight

Haha where're you at with Gurren by the way? The last few episodes get epic, and you need booze to enjoy it. I didn't get the hype either, but it's just ridiculous.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #103
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Quote:
That Trueno was classy eeh. I liked the dynamics of the first 2 seasons and ofcourse Bunta's THE man. Ore No Imouto is fun eehhh ... check Shinryaku Ika Musume. Another fun anime is ... what's it called ... ah! *bingo* ... Umisho.

Ranma 1/2 is so much fun. If you like fun and mecha, you must've checked out Gurren Laggan I guess. There's upgrade after upgrade after epicness to proportions you'd least expect.

I love all sorts of styles or genres, as long as it doesn't bore me. There was a time I couldn't stand cutesy anime because it was SO derivative, but there're always a few good gems here and there. Wait, have you watched Outlaw Star yet? Ergo Proxy's another dense anime series that not a lot of people understood or watched only cos it looked 'cool' versus what it stood for. Gankutsuou is SO under-rated, everything about it is good. What about Rahxephon? Planetes? Legend Of The Galactic Heroes? Aria (The Animation, The Natural, The Origination - i.e. 3 separate series), Special A, Ouran High School Club, Monster, Cromatarie High School, The Vision Of Escaflowne to name a few. Ofcourse then there's a few series I wouldn't recommend cos it'd break you :-)
I don't know any of these, but I only started about 2 or 3 years ago with seriously watching anime. Hell I watched 400 episodes of One Piece in about a month, now I can't stand it anymore. Considering how much awesome shit is out there I wonder why I even bothered. Probably cuz I liked it when I was younger.

Definitely gonna check out Gurren Laggan, that an FLCL are next.

"Ofcourse then there's a few series I wouldn't recommend cos it'd break you :-)" Why? Because they're even more tear-inducing than Clannad?
If so, drop some names, it's not like I'm that weak.

Also I agree with DisGUSt(tx), Sailor Moon being shonen. Practically all girls that I know just laughed about that shit, the sexiness of the protagonists is just too blatant.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #104
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
Haha where're you at with Gurren by the way? The last few episodes get epic, and you need booze to enjoy it. I didn't get the hype either, but it's just ridiculous.
Episode 10. Its been 6 months. Compared to other series of its length (Speed Grapher, Basilisk, even Last Exile and S.E. Lain) its hasn't been too captivating. But it also took me over a month to finish Speed Grapher, so go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitsabesWinklersson View Post
FLCL
You will not be disappointed. Watch it now, its only like 4 episodes.

EDIT: I nominate this thread for stickying simply because if I could come to talk about Death Metal and anime in the same place, well that would rule.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:34 AM   #105
Skull Knight

Quote:
I don't know any of these, but I only started about 2 or 3 years ago with seriously watching anime. Hell I watched 400 episodes of One Piece in about a month, now I can't stand it anymore. Considering how much awesome shit is out there I wonder why I even bothered. Probably cuz I liked it when I was younger.

Definitely gonna check out Gurren Laggan, that an FLCL are next.
Quote:
Episode 10. Its been 6 months. Compared to other series of its length (Speed Grapher, Basilisk, even Last Exile and S.E. Lain) its hasn't been too captivating. But it also took me over a month to finish Speed Grapher, so go figure.
Gurren Laggan actually bored me a bit till you get through half way into the series, and everything after that is straight uphill. I recommend watching it when you have some company. Ofcourse, the easy way out is to watch the movies to get a gist of what happens, yeah you also get to see a cool battle that isn't in the anime series (but is in the manga), and overall well, it's short right?

Basilisk was eeehhh, I wish I could get myself to like it, fell short by the time we got to the end of it.

One Piece is actually pretty good in terms of the story being consistent through it's 590+ chapters (manga), it's remarkable. If you guys read manga, I could throw in some reccos.

Quote:
"Ofcourse then there's a few series I wouldn't recommend cos it'd break you :-)" Why? Because they're even more tear-inducing than Clannad?
If so, drop some names, it's not like I'm that weak.
Clannad was ... well, fun. If you're up for it, watch School Days, it's just 12 episodes long, and I won't say more. Speaking of Clannad, you watched Clannad The Afterstory too I presume? Kanon is close to Clannad or even Air. Try Bamboo Blade, if you're looking for some fun. There's also coughLuckyStarcough
Old 10-13-2010, 12:57 AM   #106
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
Basilisk was eeehhh, I wish I could get myself to like it, fell short by the time we got to the end of it.
Really? Having the ninjas die off in the way that they did kept me interested. I would go as far as to say its my favorite Gonzo series. One of my favorite studios.

But anyways I dug Basilisk from the get-go because its heavy on historical references, and the original story was taken from a novel based on old Japanese ninjutsu legendary. Alot of interest cultural references, and I've always ninjas are really fucking cool.

BTW I've always had issues finding a good 3x3 dubbed complete collection. Its always been one of my favorites, I rented it early as kid and it was one the first really good anime I ever saw. Highly recommended.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:00 AM   #107
Naitz
Grim Fandango

@Skull Knight
You saw my list and even said it was good lol.
I mentioned School days and Kanon there. School Days isn't tear-inducing at all imo, it's too fucked up, and the end is just super sick, but not sad.
Kanon is pretty sad yes, but after all it's too unrealistic, I couldn't take it seriously.
And yes I watched both Clannad, without After Story it would be pointless.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:17 AM   #108
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Forgot all about this awesome one, must see:
Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #109
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Rep Power: 22 Cognitive Defeat beat up jewskiCognitive Defeat beat up jewski
I've seen maybe half of the films posted in here, I'm into most of them but what I really want to know is this:

Can anyone recommend any anime where the exposition isn't mainly based on monologues?

It's really annoying being constantly told what's going on. It's just such a weak story-telling tool to have characters talking to themselves constantly.

Last edited by Cognitive Defeat; 10-13-2010 at 02:01 PM..
Cognitive Defeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #110
Skull Knight

Yeah, the disappointment's all in the end of Basilisk heheh disGUSt(tx). Don't get me wrong, I liked it but it didn't make me want to go own it.

Ohh shoot NaitsabesWinklersson, I must've missed it. I should really stop posting when I'm all sleepy >_<'

Cognitive Defeat, what sort of genre are you looking at - Comedy/ Drama/ Mecha/ Action-Adventure?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #111
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Rep Power: 22 Cognitive Defeat beat up jewskiCognitive Defeat beat up jewski
Quote:
Yeah, the disappointment's all in the end of Basilisk heheh disGUSt(tx). Don't get me wrong, I liked it but it didn't make me want to go own it.

Ohh shoot NaitsabesWinklersson, I must've missed it. I should really stop posting when I'm all sleepy >_<'

Cognitive Defeat, what sort of genre are you looking at - Comedy/ Drama/ Mecha/ Action-Adventure?
Well I don't think I've seen much/ any comedy or drama anime. Any recommendations?
Cognitive Defeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #112
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Quote:
check Shinryaku Ika Musume.
Watched the two episodes. Really cute and funny, the squid-ink gags where fucking hilarious.

I also checked out FLCL, two and a half episodes, but I don't really like it. What's the point? There doesn't seem be a story at all, just a giant mess.

I totally forgot about this one earlier:

Elfenlied, really sick and with great music and charaters.

Last edited by Naitz; 10-19-2010 at 05:39 PM..
Old 10-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #113
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 22 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski
saw Yukikaze yesterday. pretty decent (quite above average by the usual weeaboo standards) and a definite rec. (and it's not long.. only 5 episodes, although 2 are double). pretty good dogfights, design, cgi and solid story
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #114
Transient
i wont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognitive Defeat View Post
Well I don't think I've seen much/ any comedy or drama anime. Any recommendations?

to be a man you must have honor

honor and a peeeeenuss

(shinchan)
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #115
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Some stuff I've checked out over the past weeks:

Gurren Lagann:
Watched all 27 eps. Really cool Mecha anime. Good character design (Yoko in the first half is probably the hottest anime-chick ever) and the story is well written, it really draws you in, with almost no filler stuff.

Arakawa under the bridge:
Anime about a rich guy that is rescued by a girl that lives under a bridge with a very strange community of people. He now has to live there too, and manage to love this girl, so that he can go back to normal life, or so I understand. Watched only 6 eps so far.
Seems cool basically, but it's a little too weird for me; the actions don't follow a clear story-path, many characters are super-moronic. It's also a little slow.

The World God only knows:
New anime, watched only 2 eps so far. It's about an eroge-gamer that now has to make girls love him in real-life because he unintentionally made a pact with the devil. A female demon helps him accomplish the pact. Was pretty funny so far, will definitely continue watching.

Bakuman:
Only 3 eps out so far. It's about two guys that want to become mangaka.
It is realistic, but still has a subtle humor, and discusses questions of sense and purpose in life. I thought it was pretty good.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru:
A new and supposedly funny anime about an ugly, not-sexy and not clumsy girl that works in a shitty maid-café, where the boss is a cross-dressed old man and there are no custumers whatsoever. Strangely enough, the café seems of the rather eloquent and expensive sort if you look at the interiour. Watched only 2 eps, but I hated it with my whole heart, the most stupid and ugly main character ever, and the scenes that are supposed to be funny just aren't.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #116
Somnium
Obscured Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient View Post

to be a man you must have honor

honor and a peeeeenuss

(shinchan)
Shinchan is amazing. Action Bastard!!!
Somnium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #117
SwedeMetal
Total Dilf!

Quote:
Forgot all about this awesome one, must see:
Great recommendation. Really enjoyed this.
SwedeMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #118
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMetal View Post
Great recommendation. Really enjoyed this.
Yeah, I was wondering when someone was gonna catch that! Just in case you folks haven't figured it out yet, Katsuhiro Otomo has classics OTHER than Akira.

Should you be so lucky to come across it, read Katsuhiro Otomo's pre-Akira single volume manga called "Domu." It was pretty sweet.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #119
modern death
Hails

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZM View Post
and golden boy is probably the best undiscovered comedy gem
lol, yep. untouchable.
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #120
Skull Knight

Quote:
Watched the two episodes. Really cute and funny, the squid-ink gags where fucking hilarious.

I also checked out FLCL, two and a half episodes, but I don't really like it. What's the point? There doesn't seem be a story at all, just a giant mess.

I totally forgot about this one earlier:

Elfenlied, really sick and with great music and charaters.
Glad you're liking Shinryaku Ika Musume so far. FLCL's popular because of it's unique concept. Elfen's just good badass~ry. Short and sweet. Gurren Lagann's last few episodes are just ridiculous *galaxy fights* haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
saw Yukikaze yesterday. pretty decent (quite above average by the usual weeaboo standards) and a definite rec. (and it's not long.. only 5 episodes, although 2 are double). pretty good dogfights, design, cgi and solid story
Whoa, that's an old series! I remember the cool as hell dog-fights between Rei and what's his name. Green thin sexy planes *bits fingers*. Some of the best dog-fights are seen on Macross Zero and Macross Frontier. I'd recommend watching the Macross series in order if you haven't already.