SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 4.74 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #61
Acatalepsy
sudo

NGE
Welcome to the NHK
5cm per second
Cowboy Bebop
Acatalepsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #62
Sand & Mercury

Shit other people have probably already mentioned:

Ghost In The Shell
Neon Genesis Evangelion (starts off crap but gets progressively better/more fucked up as it goes)
Paranoia Agent
Akira
Blood - The Last Vampire
Grave of the Fireflies
Sand & Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #63
Spew
Big Baby Jesus

Can anyone recommend any mecha? More into Front Mission, MechWarrior side of things though.
Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #64
Skull Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spew View Post
Can anyone recommend any mecha? More into Front Mission, MechWarrior side of things though.
Try Patlabor or Votoms if you haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman The Barbarian View Post
Texhnolyze series. Don't watch it if you don't have an attention span, or if you love the idea of people or being around people. There is one funny moment/joke in the whole series, the rest is srs.
Tex is such a waste of a series imo. I'll give in that it's well produced and has all the elements to make it a good one, but the end is stupid. It's not an Ergo Proxy where it hits and wows you in the end.

No love for Jin Roh anyone? Paulo showed me clips of Barefoot Gen, and the first movie is really good!

Good list, 1by1.
Skull Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #65
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

OH SHIT THIS IS THE FUCKIN THREAD.

Speedgrapher
Hellsing
Basilisk

The rest has been mentioned probably like 50 times.
disGUSt(tx) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #66
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acatalepsy View Post
Welcome to the NHK
Also, this fucking rules!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #67
Raad
'sup

Rurouni Kenshin: Reminiscence (Tsuiokuhen)
Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection (Seisohen)
Raad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #68
Skull Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by disGUSt(tx) View Post
OH SHIT THIS IS THE FUCKIN THREAD.

Speedgrapher
Hellsing
Basilisk

The rest has been mentioned probably like 50 times.
Hellsing OVA > Hellsing (regular series), by far. Basilisk started out really strong for me, but they kinda dropped the ball and I prefer reading the manga for it.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #69
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

I enjoyed both the manga and the anime. I too thought the manga was better.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #70
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Some stuff I watched over the past year or so:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: (rank #34 on Animenewsnetwork)
Kyoto Animation, stylistically without flaws, very realistic backgrounds based entirely on photographs. The story is a little weird, but basically it's a concealed lovestory with unique comedic elements (Like the first ep, which is a mega-absurd movie the protagonists make later in the series). I really liked it.

Clannad + Clannad Afterstory: (#43, #1 !! on animenewsnetwork)
This is the one and only piece of visual that forced tears of pain out of my eyes.
It takes some time (The first series basically) until it develops, the beginning is a typical "harem"-situation where the protagonist basically just makes female friends. Then he finally gets together with the love of his life until a downward-spiral sets in like hardly seen before.
It's somewhat evil and sarcastic, how fate strikes the entirely good-hearted protagonists. Not for everyone, but it really had an impact on me.

Goldenboy: (#355 on animenewsnetwork)
An obscure classic in six episodes. If you don't know it, watch it now!

Great teacher Onizuka: (#45 on aimenewsnetwork)
The former leader of a bikergang becomes a Highschool teacher.
Simple comedy that develops in arcs of around six episodes, some of which are fantastic, some of which are not so good. Definitely fun to watch but nothing groundbreaking.

School days: (#2017 on animenewsnetwork)
Made after one of those eroge-videogames. Only bother if you have too much time. The only good thing is the end/last episodes, where the former average guy somehow transforms into a gigolo and fucks everything that moves. The "revenge" of his girlfriend in the last episode is one of the sickest things ever. Maybe just watch the last ep, lol.

Kanon (#24 on animenewsnetwork)
Don't know why this is liked so much, it's very kitschy, the story is absurdly unrealistic/magical/pseudo. Still has it's good and sweet sides if you like kawaii stuff.

Nodame Cantabile + Nodame Cantabile Paris + Nodame Catabile finale: (#17, #84, #110)
Anime with lot's of classical music, the story is about a talented Violinist/Pianist and conductor to be, and a wierd piano student that through her love for the former developes into a master pianist.
It's a Josei anime, aimed at a grown-up female target group, meaning the clich├ęs of anime are somewhat reversed and the style is more realistic.
I enjoyed it, though the story isn't concluded well enough to make it a very good anime. If you like classical music give it a try.

Currently watching Honey and Clover (#49). Seems really boring and stupid to me, don't know why this is so high up.

Last edited by Naitz; 10-06-2010 at 04:55 PM..
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #71
1by1

H and C isnt so bad. I watched it awhile ago and liked it.

Currently downloading the new Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
1by1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #72
Skull Knight

Good list Naits. Honey & Clover is pretty good manga-wise. Have you watched Chobits? Ef: A Tale Of Memories? GTO's such a classic. Have you guys watched Initial D?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #73
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

I've seen everything. At least an episode or two. GTO and Initial D are good. I'm really not into CLAMP manga or anime, so I've always overlooked Chobits. EfTOM ain't really my style either.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #74
Somnium
Obscured Reality

I feel like shit so I'm not going to reread this thread but some of my favs:

Neon Genesis Evangelion - I remember when I was younger I had the DVD where the Eva 01 was fighting the corrupted Eva 03 and he smashes his face in and just rips him to shreds. Then the movie where all of the white ones are flying around carrying the Eva 02 by it's entrails and shit.

Paranoia Agent - I haven't seen this since it's been on Adult Swim but I remember being really weird.

Some others I used to like are Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, and pretty much all the shit that was on Adult Swim. I don't really watch any anime anymore, but Bleach is kinda cool. I've missed to many episodes though.
Somnium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #75
Skull Knight

Bleach is ridden with so much filler, and the long 1-1 battles tend to bore. I liked it up till the Soul Society arc.

Paranoia Agent ... brings back memories, I hated the dub.

Try Outlaw Star or the Slayers series. Darker Than Black was pretty good, but the second season didn't raise the bar for me. Also, Death Note is crap after a certain someone's death.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #76
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Knight View Post
Good list Naits. Honey & Clover is pretty good manga-wise. Have you watched Chobits? Ef: A Tale Of Memories? GTO's such a classic. Have you guys watched Initial D?
Chobits is on my schedule for quite some time now. Gonna check out the others too.

I also watched K-ON!, seeing it was so hyped. The story is pretty much absent, it's just lots of moe scenes put together ....but the style!
Visual-wise it's crafted so well, plus there's some good music too, so after all I enjoyed it.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #77
Johnny-Skinless

Recently watched this 80's gem. Has some interesting and also influential ideas.
Johnny-Skinless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #78
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

A gem indeed! Theres a re-dub now if I am not mistaken. Probably the one you watched.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #79
Skull Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitsabesWinklersson View Post
Chobits is on my schedule for quite some time now. Gonna check out the others too.

I also watched K-ON!, seeing it was so hyped. The story is pretty much absent, it's just lots of moe scenes put together ....but the style!
Visual-wise it's crafted so well, plus there's some good music too, so after all I enjoyed it.
K-On's first season was alright, bearable. The new season didn't live up to the first, and of course there's going to be hype around Azunya or Mio! The same goes for Haruhi's 2nd season, it tanked, so hard.

Megazone 3 is actually pretty cool, and it stopped being obscure because ADV picked it, too bad ADV crashed. I think I have all 4 OVA's for it, I thiiink.

Mentioning Outlaw Star makes me want to watch it.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #80
Naitz
Grim Fandango

I thought the second K-ON! was better than the first. It got a little more mature, telling a coming of age story.
A totally agree with the second Haruhi, the "Endless 8" is a fucking insolence, and then it's just 5 episodes dealing with the making of the movie and one single "stand alone" episode.
I watched the whole thing a second time in chronological order though, and just the last episode "Someday in the rain" makes up for it. I think it's incredibly beautiful, really outstanding.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #81
rfe
idk

Hellsing and Evangelion are the shit. Flcl is also good if you want a more wacky anime.
rfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:35 AM   #82
RottingBeercan
littered

my rec's that haven't been mentioned:

inuyasha (tons of filler, never actually ends i don't think. still has a lot of cool moments throughout the 400+ episodes)

Air Gear (randomly picked it up a couple years ago online, pretty neat/fun. go around doing tricks and shit around town in rollerblading like gangs)

Afro Samurai (sweet ass anime that stars Samuel L. Jackson)

Lupin the 3rd (fun, old school detective anime)

.hack//sign (really neat, based on psychological and sociological stuff, escapism, and played out in an MMORPG, named The World)

Naruto: Shippuden (Naruto was recommended, but not the follow up. i loved this more than naruto, not as much b/s filler and kidding around. Akatsuki make things fun)

Witch Hunter Robin (like the name says, trained to hunt witches/destroy witchcraft. main character is raised by the Roman Catholic Church and works for the Japanese branch of a secret global organization called "SOLOMON" that fights witchcraft)

Shin Chan (funniest show Cartoon Network ever aired, hilarious. made by Funimation (DBZ, etc) and you can recognize voices from the show every now and then, at least a couple voice actors i remembered hearing.

also seconded: Hellsing, Bleach, Vampire Hunter D, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Fooly Cooly, Berserk, Outlaw Star, Gundam, Evangelion....basically anything that has ever appeared on Adult Swim or Toonami over the years. also fun kid classics like Dragonball/DBZ/GT, original Pokemon seasons 1-5, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, Zoids, maybe Digimon..
RottingBeercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:05 AM   #83
Johnny-Skinless

Quote:
A gem indeed! Theres a re-dub now if I am not mistaken. Probably the one you watched.
It was in the original japanese w eng subs so i'm not sure if its a re-dub. Gonna watch the following parts now.
Johnny-Skinless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #84
Skull Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMDF View Post

inuyasha (tons of filler, never actually ends i don't think. still has a lot of cool moments throughout the 400+ episodes)
The manga is fail because Takahashi never ended the story up until recently. It was such a good read at the beginning. The first series was 160something episodes and the 2nd season (recently aired) is at 26 episodes. Sesshomaru > all.

Quote:
Air Gear (randomly picked it up a couple years ago online, pretty neat/fun. go around doing tricks and shit around town in rollerblading like gangs)

Shin Chan (funniest show Cartoon Network ever aired, hilarious. made by Funimation (DBZ, etc) and you can recognize voices from the show every now and then, at least a couple voice actors i remembered hearing.
Agreed.

Quote:
.hack//sign (really neat, based on psychological and sociological stuff, escapism, and played out in an MMORPG, named The World)
Good soundtrack too by the way.

Quote:
Naruto: Shippuden (Naruto was recommended, but not the follow up. i loved this more than naruto, not as much b/s filler and kidding around. Akatsuki make things fun)
Epic phail because there's filler, there's such bad art in some of the episodes, and the manga itself is so much crap after our good ol Senin's death. It's like the mangeka was on crack, and he's made up so much stuff over the years that he's trying to fix. Too many holes to fill.

Quote:
Witch Hunter Robin (like the name says, trained to hunt witches/destroy witchcraft. main character is raised by the Roman Catholic Church and works for the Japanese branch of a secret global organization called "SOLOMON" that fights witchcraft)
I loved the first episode back then, showed me a lot of promise. For some reason, the series never hit the spot with me. It's like I was expecting a bit more, and it sorta didn't raise the bar that was set in the first episode.

NaitsabesWinklersson - do you read manga as well?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #85
Somnium
Obscured Reality

Quote:

Afro Samurai (sweet ass anime that stars Samuel L. Jackson)

also seconded: Hellsing, Bleach, Vampire Hunter D, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Fooly Cooly, Berserk, Outlaw Star, Gundam, Evangelion....basically anything that has ever appeared on Adult Swim or Toonami over the years. also fun kid classics like Dragonball/DBZ/GT, original Pokemon seasons 1-5, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, Zoids, maybe Digimon..
Holy shit, I forgot about Shin Chan! God, that show was sooo fucking hilarious.
Somnium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #86
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Inuyasha = Shonen done wrong. Shippuden = Shonen done right.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #87
Skull Knight

Quote:
Inuyasha = Shonen done wrong. Shippuden = Shonen done right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPuu9RMsa1Y

Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #88
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Yeah, I really liked that episode haha.

The reason shonen anime often contain animation flaws because of the strict deadlines and ongoing, long storylines. Tell me which shonen series doesn't. Shippuden generally looks amazing.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #89
1by1

I can't believe you people actually like Naruto. Bleh...
1by1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #90
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 22 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski
hokuto no ken, saint seiya, ronin warriors > all these narutos and inuyasha's of yours

ATATATATATATATA, motherfuckers!
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote