SMNnews Forums SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Between The Buried And Me > General Music Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
cloudscollide
dredg > Converge

cloudscollide slam gang member
The Acacia Strain | Continent (Thoughts)

This is a thread for the very few people here who actually enjoy this band. I used to hate them very much. That has changed. I took them a bit too seriously. Here is a run down of this CD.

1. Skynet - 4:22
The single for the album and the song you probably already heard considering it's on their myspace. It's a different song for them. A little more progressive maybe. The vocals during the chorus sound like Jon Hunt from Dead To Fall. It's a bit obvious that right away you can tell how much better the production is on this CD compared to The Dead Walk. The Drums sound brilliant. The Lambgoat references at the end of this song are funny. "Van flip times a thousand. Don't believe the hype. No care ever."

2. Seaward - 4:15
One of my favorite tracks on the album. It's another 4+ minute song which is long for this band so there is a lot of room for a lot of ridiculously heavy parts. This song is actually somewhat technical at times as well. The band shoots into their Meshuggah vibe pretty early in this track as well. I was hoping the Meshy riffs would be back and they definitely are more than a few times on this record. There is a specifically awesome two step in this song with blast double bass and pinch harmonics...almost reminds me of something Glass Casket would do. Breakdown at the end of the song is really heavy.

3. Dr. Doom - 2:26
If you're a fan of this band this is another song i'm sure you know. They have a pre production demo of it on their myspace. It's a short and sweet song. He doesn't do his 'YO CHECK DIS OUT!' in it though. Some people may be expecting that. The guitar solo is also a bit different sounding. It's lower or something from the demo.

4. Forget-Me-Now - 2:43
Song begins with a drum fill that probably wouldn't sound as cool if it weren't for the production. Song flows well. Has a bit of like evil melody. I think it fits well with the concept of the album which is about a guy who sees the world falling apart and realizes a bit too late that he is the unexplainable cause of the end of the world, and then just basically embraces it and ends up being the last living person.

Anyways, back to this song. There is a really drawn out breakdown that reminds me of something off of 3750. "I want your legs behind your head". I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying.

5. Cthuhlu - 3:27
This song is amazing. Haha. A lot of riffs are busted out from the main opening riff yet the song is never repetetive. Breakdown build up that goes into a two step instead and ends up being awesome. Heavy ass breakdown with guitar solo over top. Actually reminds me of Meshuggah. The tone of the guitar sounds like something off of obZen. More catastrophic sounds. Just listening to these songs reminds you of shit just blowing up and the world just dying...or a Cthuhlu destroying everyone.

6. Baby Buster - 4:18
This is my least favorite song on the album but it's a decent song. It has the vocalist of Ringworm in it a few times and the parts where he's screaming are my favorite. I've never listened to Ringworm but his voice definitely sounds unique. There's a lead that that sounds almost identical to something DL does in "Skynet". A definite reprise. I always love when bands do that.

7. Balboa Towers - 4:36
One thing about The Dead Walk that I didn't like is that the second half of the CD was very boring to me and took forever to grow on me. Songs like Pity and Demolisher just took way too many plays for me to enjoy. The second half of this CD is just relentless though. Every song from here on out is impressive. Vincent's lyrics are still...awful but hilarious. I think that's what he's going for though. "She asked me to marry her so I slit her fucking throat." There is another Meshuggah breakdown that's actually the first time I heard a band do this type of Meshuggah riffing. It's hard to explain but when you hear it you'll be like "Whoa...Meshuggah?". The end of this song is definitely where the world ending lyrics come in. "This is my continent. This is my world. If I ruled the world, I'd destroy all mankind. If I were king for a day, I'd make sure there was no tomorrow. And now the world is my fucking toilet. And now the world is my own." Hahaha.

8. JFC - 2:56
I AM THE END OF THE WORLD! That is how the song begins into yet another ridiculously crushing low tempo disaster. That lyric appears a lot in this song, as well as over an actual melodic section of this song with gang vocals. The melody doesn't last long though as it goes into a breakdown that sounds very similar to the opening one.

9. Kraken - 2:41
Another mythological sea monster? Cthuhlu and now Kraken. Pwnage. This song reminds me most of The Dead Walk. Awesome drum fill into breakdown. Clever snare hits. "I AM TERROR. I AM FAMINE. I AM THE WORST THAT COULD EVER HAPPEN TO YOU." Song is just breakdown after breakdown. Relentless. Haha. Brogen will enjoy this song.

10. The Combine - 2:02
Probably tied with my favorite song. It just starts off awesome with a tribal beat and china on the tempo. What's that? Bleed by Meshuggah? Very similar melody, but the rhythm is the same. Impressive and equally as heavy. Note the song title too...The Combine...Half Life 2 reference. "YOU WANT A WAR. I'LL GIVE YOU A FUCKING WAR."

11. The Behemoth - 6:37
Epic ender. Melody. Almost post rock-ish. Is this really The Acacia Strain? By this time in the concept...the main character is the only one alive on earth. Just thinking of that along with this drum build up and atmospheric triumphant melody building up....it's very cool. The rest of the song is a breakdown with catchy-as-balls leads over top. An awesome closing song where most people would expect a song called The Behemoth by The Acacia Strain to just be one big ass doom breakdown.

In all, this album is The Deadwalk's chubbier and more mature brother. Vincent's voice is a bit lower and more monotone for the most part but all the more crushing. The production is miles ahead of The Deadwalk and the song writing is more memorable. Fans of this band will love this album. It's also a lot longer than The Deadwalk but I don't feel like getting out my track title calculating skills. ;)
Old 07-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
The Blenderfist

DL and Kev were telling me it is going to be a more mature album. Looking forward to hearing the rest.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
MustangMan311
Very Original Avatar

MustangMan311 slam gang member
holy fuck, i want this album now.
The SMNNews forums are full of disgruntled wannabe hardcore kids that don't have the brain power to follow the newer Proggy songs, which infuriates their simpleton brain, which causes them to bach the only thing they know: BTBAM. And eachother.

MustangMan311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
Logan
Band

Logan slam gang member
9. Kraken - 2:41
Another mythological sea monster? Cthuhlu and now Kraken. Pwnage. This song reminds me most of The Dead Walk. Awesome drum fill into breakdown. Clever snare hits. "I AM TERROR. I AM FAMINE. I AM THE WORST THAT COULD EVER HAPPEN TO YOU." Song is just breakdown after breakdown. Relentless. Haha. Brogen will enjoy this song.

hahah

It's also a lot longer than The Deadwalk but I don't feel like getting out my track title calculating skills. ;)

hahah

oh and I still don't care about this album. I will check it out just to hear these meshuggah rip offs you're talking about. Maybe I'll end up liking it. Maybe I'm a fucking superhero.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
cloudscollide
dredg > Converge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogen View Post
Maybe I'm a fucking superhero.
This is probably the most likely of everything you've said.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
Logan
Band

Logan slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudscollide View Post
This is probably the most likely of everything you've said.
you're absolutely right.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Shauncore

Shauncore slam gang member
HOW HAS THIS NOT LEAKED YET!?!
Shauncore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:36 AM   #8
Can_I_Scream

Can_I_Scream slam gang member
Would it even be in The Acacia Strain's best interest to write a more "mature-sounding" album? It seems like their largest appeal was their gimmick of having full length sized breakdowns and ear-piercing diminished chords.

Can_I_Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
cloudscollide
dredg > Converge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_I_Scream View Post
Would it even be in The Acacia Strain's best interest to write a more "mature-sounding" album? It seems like their largest appeal was their gimmick of having full length sized breakdowns and ear-piercing diminished chords.
There are possibly more breakdowns on this album then on The Deadwalk. The overall sound is more mature though. It's hard to explain.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
freakinsweet

freakinsweet slam gang member
I liked Dead Walk better, but yeah. Not much to say.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
Logan
Band

Logan slam gang member
I have a copy of this album now too. Gonna tell you my thoughts when I listen to it.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
FistedSister
Nilla

FistedSister karmablade
post this fucking CD
FistedSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #13
Darcangelo
Nigger trance.

Darcangelo beat up jewski
yeah
Old 07-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #14
Supreme
C.R.E.A.M.

Supreme slam gang member
i want to hear this but i'm at school :(
Old 07-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #15
MustangMan311
Very Original Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme View Post
i want to hear this but i'm at school :(
Wait, has this leaked yet?
The SMNNews forums are full of disgruntled wannabe hardcore kids that don't have the brain power to follow the newer Proggy songs, which infuriates their simpleton brain, which causes them to bach the only thing they know: BTBAM. And eachother.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #16
Darcangelo
Nigger trance.

Darcangelo beat up jewski
someone up this already
Old 07-15-2008, 11:37 PM   #17
cloudscollide
dredg > Converge

I don't think it leaked.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #18
Muscles McPantski
Formerly Skipants

Muscles McPantski karmablade
fad band is fad.
Muscles McPantski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #19
Logan
Band

Logan slam gang member
my thoughts:

Most Of The Record:

lol.

Cthulhu and The Combine:

decent.

that is all.

oh by the way this album has the worst lyrics ever.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 AM   #20
cloudscollide
dredg > Converge

Quote:
my thoughts:

Most Of The Record:

lol.

Cthulhu and The Combine:

decent.

that is all.

oh by the way this album has the worst lyrics ever.
Hahaha. Not any worse than any of his other lyrics.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #21
Logan
Band

Logan slam gang member
Quote:
Hahaha. Not any worse than any of his other lyrics.
I wouldn't know.

I'm pretty sure the dude is retarded though.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:50 AM   #22
phish
Resident Peen

phish beat up jewski
lol i hate how into the brocore scene all of the bandmembers are. They all wear the stupid hiphop jackets with the baseball caps while sporting huge plugs
phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:59 AM   #23
cloudscollide
dredg > Converge

I stopped giving a fuck what bands look like 3 years ago. If dredg were all a bunch of scene kids with tight girl pants and died black hair, they'd still be my favorite band of all time because of the music they write and perform.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:04 AM   #24
Logan
Band

Logan slam gang member
Quote:
I stopped giving a fuck what bands look like 3 years ago. If dredg were all a bunch of scene kids with tight girl pants and died black hair, they'd still be my favorite band of all time because of the music they write and perform.
yeah seriously like In Confidence's drummer looks like such a queer and they're still you know.

edit: <3
Old 07-16-2008, 01:08 AM   #25
cloudscollide
dredg > Converge

Quote:
yeah seriously like In Confidence's drummer looks like such a queer and they're still you know.

edit: <3
That's actually a good example. I'm in a metal band and people probably expect everyone in my band to be big ripped dudes...all 4 dudes in the band are barely 5'5'' and were all scronny, and especially me behind the kit. I look like a 12 year old! I can't grow facial hair for balls, so I can't even attempt to look metal haha. I think a lot of bands we play with look at us and are like...wtf? and then after the show they are like "whoa how old are you guys?"..."19"..."oh I thought you guys were like 15". Haha. Not exactly like that but.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:10 AM   #26
Logan
Band

Logan slam gang member
Quote:
That's actually a good example. I'm in a metal band and people probably expect everyone in my band to be big ripped dudes...all 4 dudes in the band are barely 5'5'' and were all scronny, and especially me behind the kit. I look like a 12 year old! I can't grow facial hair for balls, so I can't even attempt to look metal haha. I think a lot of bands we play with look at us and are like...wtf? and then after the show they are like "whoa how old are you guys?"..."19"..."oh I thought you guys were like 15". Haha. Not exactly like that but.
I can't grow facial hair either, but I still look moar metuhl than u. That's mainly cause I'm 6'2. But yeah most of the dudes I play with in bands don't look metal at all minus 1 or 2.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #27
MustangMan311
Very Original Avatar

Quote:
anyone else take this for "can't grow hair on balls"?

Anyway, why haven't one of you leaked this yet? Come on brogen, you don't even like tvm

Old 07-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #28
MustangMan311
Very Original Avatar

* them

iPod touch keyboard ftl

Old 07-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #29
Logan
Band

Logan slam gang member
"I can't grow facial hair for balls" hahahaha I didn't notice that the first time. sigged.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #30
wtfbbqlol

wtfbbqlol slam gang member
Im pretty sure this leaked
wtfbbqlol is offline   Reply With Quote