SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 4.74 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #241
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro4891 View Post
the last anime that i watched that i actually enjoyed was high school of the dead. other than that i've just been watching old shit i enjoyed as a kid.
Pretty much this. HOTD was great, I was so sad when it ended (supposedly there's another season coming as there's more story to the manga, but I hear also that this is a myth, guess we will have to wait.). Try Angel Beats and Freezing. I think one or both of them are from the same studio and they are also only 12 or 13 episodes.
disGUSt(tx) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #242
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Urgh Angel Beats. I couldn't even get through the first episode, so cringe inducing it was.

Anyone seen Sora no Woto? 2010, about some trumpet playing soldier-girl? Wonder if I should bother...
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #243
Skull Knight

Sora no Woto ... I remember this one ... all female cast and pretty good orchestra~esque soundtrack. I'd recommend it if you liked K-ON because it's sort of the same overall story about a girl who isn't very talented in what she's doing and her relationship with a group who are, etc. Have too much on my plate to re-watch it, but try a good 4/5 episodes before throwing in the towel.
Skull Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #244
Naitz
Grim Fandango

^Haven't checked it out yet, but instead watched some of the spring seasons':

"Shirokuma Cafe" - About a lazy Panda Bear in a setting where animals practically live like humans, among humans. Ironically enough, there is still a Zoo, where the Panda bear works - as being a Panda bear. I guess it's ok for kids.

"Natsuiro Kiseki" - About a wish-fulfilling rock and a group of four girls who utilize it. In the end it's another "slice of life" gag anime, but it's done a little different at least. 6.5/10

Also, WTF:

It says, in German,
CAT
DICTATOR
FISH BONE

Uhhhm, what?

"Accel World" - Only watched one ep, but it seems pretty good. About a loser guy who probably will become some badass mofo by utilizing a new technology, which let's you slow down time massively.

"Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna" - I never bothered with the Lupin franchise, but as the graphics of this one are really good I checked it out. It's not really my thing with the goofy humor (which apparently is even more present in the old series), but it definitely has style, and Fujiko is damn hot, also tons of shots where she's practically naked, and they actually show nipples etc, unlike in those otaku-centric shows.

lawl

"Tasogare Otome x Amnesia" - Humorous piece about a ghost "living" in a school, who can only be seen by one guy. She (the ghost) is the seemingly non-present leader of the "Mysteries things blabla" club, which has only two members so far: The guy, and a girl who can't see the ghost. The first two episodes tell the exact same story twice: From the perspective of the girl, where you don't really get what's going on as you don't see the ghost, and from the perspective of the guy, where the goofs of the first ep become clear. Pretty fun, but I'm also pretty sure it will lead to nothing but typical haremesque stuff. 7/10

"Hyouka" - The new Kyoto-Animation. I obviously had high expectations, but unfortunately they weren't fulfilled. This show apparently has absolutely no content, even less than K-ON!, which is an achievement by itself, I guess. I seriously can't tell what it is about, because it simply isn't about anything, for now at least.
I can say though, that it is filled with so much anime-cliché, it's irritating, especially for a studio which had some innovative titles.
The same can be said about the choice of music. After the great soundtrack of Nichijou this show features the blandest of bland score, "spiced" up by incorporating all the most outworn classical pieces in a single episode. Together with the clichés it results in almost unbearable cheesyness.
That being said, the animation is on a new level in some regards, incredible mirror effects during rainfall, tracking shots which finally don't have that obvious cgi look anymore.

My two favourites this season:
"Sakamichi no Apollon" - A typical "no friends" rich guy who plays classical piano becomes friends, to everyones surprise, with the schools most feared bully, who is a Jazz-drummer. I love how natural and cliché-free it is, also it's about music which is always good. It's not really clear as of now where it will go story-wise, but as it is from the same people who made "Cowboy Bebop" and "Samurai Champloo" I'm confident in it, though I have a feeling it won't reach the greatness of those, it's just a tad to "normal" for that. 8.5/10

"Nazo no Kanojo X" - This is a type of "love it or hate it" show. It centers on a couple, which really isn't a couple by normal means. Essentially the girl has him on the leash, and their bond is actually the girls saliva, which seems to have "supernatural" functions, as sharing dreams e.g. It can be seriously disgusting, but it's refreshingly weird and fun. The girl has an interesting personality and great voice acting, a much appreciated difference from the typical cute girl persona.I also love the animation style, which is somewhat 80ies/early 90ies influenced. 9/10

^What it is about.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #245
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Natsuyuki Rendevous

Seinen or Josei (Can't really tell) about people and flowers. Faggy shit, stay away.

Joshiraku

I guess only Japanese people can understand this. It's somewhat like Lucky Star, but more like a Jap version of Monty Python meets Lucky Star, so no Otaku gags here.
I thought it was pretty funny apart from the fact that I didn't get half of the jokes.

Tari Tari

Another show about music. Not so bad. They got to the point pretty quick during two eps.

Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!

Blows hard.

Kokoro Connect

And yet anooother school-club anime.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

Check this out!!! Not for everyone, but it's more than different.

Also watched BERSERK. It was really good, but much more importantly:

Best anime song ever!

Last edited by Naitz; 07-09-2012 at 09:36 PM..
Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #246
brainimpalement
Banned

Trigun.
brainimpalement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #247
Mr-Shredz
Death>Fucking>Metal

Rep Power: 10 Mr-Shredz beat up jewskiMr-Shredz beat up jewski
Defs recommend this, brutal movie about some hot ass maidens that get raped by evil trolls. There's some clips in youjizz.com if you search properly.

Also re-watching the original Saint Seiya, pussy stuff, but reminds me of my childhood

Mr-Shredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #248
Skull Knight

Spot on reviews, Naitz. Among other manga read, I just picked up and read the 3rd volume of The Summit Of The Gods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitz View Post
Also watched BERSERK. It was really good, but much more importantly:

Best anime song ever!
Haha Susumu is great, what a soundtrack! Btw, check this out -

or the one below <3 ...

Are you caught up on the manga? The anime pales pretty bad in comparison.

New JoJo, Sailor Moon anime announced this past month. I guess Japan's out of original ideas as well. JoJo though I hope they pick up right from the story's beginning, it'll be REALLY good if they go that route. Wish they did the same with Berserk instead of the movies that, so far, are disastrous if you ask me.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #249
Naitz
Grim Fandango

^ Kinda late but: Nah, didn't check out the Berserk manga, but it seems interesting enough to check out for sure. The "new" movie looks shitty as fuck though, I really don't want to watch that, it's like a CGI Bukakke in the face of the original.

Anyway, New Season, watched some first eps:

Shinsekai Yori:

All in all, promising. Set in an abstract, outworldish (futuristic?) setting, where a society of humans is isolated by a "holy" barrier from a world of shadows, it centers on pupils with "special" gifts, who have to master the spirits or else perish.
Nice artwork and atmosphere, but unfortunately, it has it's lame moments, which reminded me more of random high-school drama.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Well, on the front, it's another high-school romance show, but on the inside, it's totally different. The first ep shows the getting together of what one'd probably call a couple at this point. Not only this unusual choice of getting to the point right away, but also the weird protagonists, the delicate sense of humor, the straightforward directing, made it great fun. Def gonna follow this.

Busou Shinki

I don't even know what target group the producers had in mind when they came up with this crap. The main protagonists seem to be three 15cm high girl-robots, who serve their master (regular human teenage-guy) in all sorts of matters.
The girl-robot things are heavily sexualised, but at the same time, they are clearly marked as mechanical constructs (puppet-like joints etc.).
It seems, there isn't a story, and it's not even remotely funny.
The weirdest thing is: The little androids can transform into little flying mecha-angel hybrids, and then suddenly start battling each other for no reason, shooting with laser rifles. Shit makes no sense at all, but it was stupid enough to keep me looking at my screen.

BTOOOM!

Another one of those "computer game turns into reality" plots.Which, in this case, means, a guy has to survive on a remote island battling against other people with various grenade-type weapons.
The Manga has made itself a reputation for extreme portrayal of sex, rape and gore. Unfortunately, as always, this seems toned down a lot in the anime. It seems ok, but probably not gonna follow.

Hidamari Sketch

Moe-Blobs in a reduced, artsy style, starring in little comedic fragments making up an episode, the humor being somewhere between Shin Chan and Yuri Yuri.
I liked it, because it has this "certain something" which makes it unique, but then again, objectively it probably isn't that good.

Zetsuen no Tempest

This one feels like it was made with a sort of "shonen-anime creator" type of device.
"Cool" badass teenage guys, magic, guns, world is going to end blablabla, we had it a thousand times. At least, if you do one of those again, make it unique, and make it right.
Everything is mediocre here, don't bother.

K-Project

Another shonen anime, but rather worthwhile, in parts at least. Rather stylish, set in a near-future high-tech city, with various factions battling each other (what else?).
Nothing to call home about, but not bad either.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

Kyoto-Animation delivers again. My favourite this season, I even watched the first ep right again.
Plot: Ex uber-nerd goes to a new school to escape his bad image and finally be a "normal" guy, but it seems fate decided, the fitting girl for him is an even greater nerd than he ever was.
The execution is just supreme, great, loveable characters, and a sort of lighthearted but on the spot humor I haven't seen in this genre thus far.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #250
Skull Knight

Busou Shinki's so bad it's what makes it cool. Reminds me a bit of Angelic Layer or the other anime that came out ... ugh, can't remember it. Anyway, I've had little time for anime, I need to hit up Chuunibyou demo cos I read about it's cuteness levels, thanks for the recco. BTOOOM!'s pretty much boner though, maybe cos I watched it as soon as I woke up in the morning. Yeah the Berserk movie adaptations seem ok, skipped a lot from the Manga and changed a lot of things. Plus the new technology they were using didn't do any good, the CG armor with faces hand drawn was experimental for them and it tanked. Movie 2 looked better in the trailer at least and movie 3 ... well, we'll just see. On the bright side, they've extended movie 3's time and by looking at the character list, I have an idea where/ how it'll end. I hope they don't skip adapting The Black Swordsman arc.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #251
Alejandro4891

the last anime i watched was initial d up to the fourth stage.
Alejandro4891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #252
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Knight View Post
I need to hit up Chuunibyou demo cos I read about it's cuteness levels
Cuteness level is >9000. It's a miracle how they manage to top themselves again and again.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #253
Beacons

Anyone seen Baccano? A buddy of mine at work was telling me about it and it sounded pretty cool. Ive never seen any anime but love how beautiful some of the art can be. Ill probably go back through this thread and check out some of the best series.
Beacons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #254
Skull Knight

Baccano! is pretty good. It's a short series and if you like it, watch Durarara!! next.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #255
Skull Knight

I got the 2nd Berserk movie on BR but haven't opened it yet, waiting for a subbed version to get out and then re-watch it over and over if I have to.

Attack on Titan's anime promo looks over-the-top good, maybe it'll be better than the manga

Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #256
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

I watched the trailer for the first Berserk movie a while ago and found it pretty lame, but a friend just linked me the trailer for 2nd and 3rd movie and it looks pretty epic... Let me know when a sub'ed version for the 2nd movie comes out.

EDIT: I need some new manga recs. I'm a huge fan of Berserk, Vagabond, Gantz, Vinland Saga, just anything that has a really clever plot and characters, or lotsa gore and sex would do.

EDIT2: also, what the fuck is this

Last edited by ceddeeoo; 12-09-2012 at 09:59 PM..
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #257
Skull Knight

Sure thing. Movie 1 was OK, bad if you're a fan of the manga. Strays so far from the story. As an adaptation I take it for what it is. Movie 2 seems to follow the same path as movie 1, with improved CG but it's still awful. Movie 3, the trailer, hehe I'm excited as hell to see it all animated, again.

Perfect Christmas present, wouldn't you agree : p

Last edited by Skull Knight; 12-09-2012 at 09:55 PM..
Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #258
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

Rep Power: 18 cry0fth3carr0ts beat up jewskicry0fth3carr0ts beat up jewski
Neon Genesis Evangelion--

what is it? is it good? where do i start?
cry0fth3carr0ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #259
Alejandro4891

that anime is awesome, but towards the end it gets weird. start from the beginning, there's like 20 something episodes.
Alejandro4891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #260
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

i typed it in on amazon and was overwhelmed. where exactly would i start? i'm not all that familiar with anime. only seen the staples (trigun, cowboy bebop, etc...). this piqued my interest.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #261
Naitz
Grim Fandango

It's a series. You would typically start with the first episode :P
The movies came after the series and shouldn't be viewed before.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #262
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

ok, i was busy at work and didn't realize that those were all movies. i just looked at the prices and assumed they were boxsets.. so this one http://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-E...is+Evangelion?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #263
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Yes, this is the remastered version of the original series, with 4 additional directors-cut episodes.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #264
modern death
Hails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitz View Post
You would typically start with the first episode :P
lol, I was like "what the fuck kind of question is that?"
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #265
SixSickSix

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex + S.A.C. 2nd Gig
SixSickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #266
Vriend
Afro Dog

Ninja Scroll is good from what I remember.
Vriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #267
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Watched through "Princess Tutu" (2002/2004), and can only recommend

It was marketed as childrens series in Japan, but it is worthwhile watching for every age-group. It's about a world being controlled by a dead storyteller, who wants to lead the protagonists to a tragic death, and about the protagonists' struggle to escape their destiny. The main protagonist, Tutu, is an aspiring ballet-dancer, ballet being the main theme in the series. The battles aren't fought with weapons, but they battle each other in dance, which is done pretty cool.
But the most intense thing is the music, I hardly came across anything, anime or not, which has such a great utilisation of it's score, it's like the story itself is told through the music. (E.g. every episode is centered around a classical ballet piece)

Also watched Mai-Hime (2004/2005). Pretty good, but it's one of those shows which strongly depend on the character design, especially the female ones. Mai is pretty darn sexy though.

Chuunibyou came out as good as expected. There is some really unneccessary complication in the plot later on, and the end is another one of those Kyo-Ani "we'll leave the rest to your imagination" endings, but I still enjoyed it very much.

Currently watching:

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Series is at ep 21 now, and it's just great. It's about a group of Art-School students deemed unfit to live in the regular dorm, and thus have to live in "Sakurasou", a gathering place for problem-cases. Focus lies on gags playing with the abnormal behaviour of the students, and of course there's also the hot but autistic and needy girl, which has to fight over the main protagonists attention with some regular chick.

Love Live!

At ep 7, pretty good so far. Another show about school-idols, which seems to be the otaku In-Thing right now. I expected it to be shit, but you can feel how the producers really want to deliver s.th. good and not just cash in on the idol hype.

Kotoura-San

From the people which brought you Mitsudomoe. It had to be good, and I'm not disappointed. It's about a girl which can't distinguish wether someone says s.th. out loud, or just thinks it, which obviously leads to a ton of problems.
The first ep is already hilarious in how it goes from a super depressive background story, showing how everyone inlcuding her parents has forsaken the protagonist, just to suddenly switch to Mitsudomoe style ecchi humor. Yet, all in all it seems more down to earth than the latter, seriously dealing with friendship etc.

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

Probably the weirdest this season, and must watch for Otaku. I'm not even sure what it is about, but the main protagonist is a sort of Otaku-ish hikikomori person. Art style is fantastic, and you get the impression that it's just weird for the sake of it, but it works.

Kyo-Ani has "Tamako Market" out, but I dropped it after ep 3.

Obviously the execution is flawless again, but the the characters just don't do it for me, Tamako may be as cute as she is. The high point of the episodes for me was the eyecatch in the middle, when Tamako cutely says "Tamako Ma-ke-to".