SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Fondlecorpse

Fondlecorpse Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 05-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
TheGoreGnome

DEAL DIRECT WITH THE GOREBOAR!

DEAL DIRECT WITH THE GOREBOAR!
Everybody should know by now that Razorback does not have an "official" distributor. What that means is, there's nobody out there that gets our stuff in big stores like Best Buy, Tower, Sam Goody (um...are they even still around? I don't know, I never go to shopping malls or record stores anymore), etc. 99% of the bigger distributors have absolutely no interest in the kind of metal that Razorback puts out. Our stuff is underground, unpopular, oldschool, and it doesn't follow the rules or trends of today. (comic book-style artwork is out, photoshopped digital crap is IN.) Even most "independent" distributors have no interest in our stuff. Razorback is a very SMALL label with limited appeal. We're a "specialty" label and we'll always be just that. Some people either "get it", or they don't. (thankfully there ARE people who DO get it, thanks!)

We often get sleazy jerks looking to score a "license deal" with our CD's, which is really just a total rip off. Basically, they want to make their own copies of our albums and profit while we get nothing in return. Whenever you hear the term "license deal", 99% chance it's a total scam/rip-off. It just doesn't work. Film makers/companies get screwed over by that shit all the time, and with underground metal music it's even more of a nightmare.

We've always relied on trading with other labels and other labels buying our stuff at a very cheap wholesale price. This, however, is becoming more and more difficult with each passing year. Many labels are going out of business, nobody wants to trade anymore, and getting wholesale orders is becoming almost impossible. The scene is simply flooded with too many CD's and bands and there's just not enough fans to support it anymore. It's all about quantity, over quality. (by the way, thanks to all the labels and distros who DO still trade and order wholesale! It really does help keep whatever is left of the underground alive!)

Why am I bringing all of this up, you ask? Well, it's simple. No distribution = no more Razorback Records.

No, we're not going out of business. I'll always find a way to do this label! Even if I have to go back to the days of putting out cassette tapes with photocopied covers! I'm discussing this because I need to let you know that it's really important more than ever for you to buy our CD's direct from us. It's really the most effective way of helping to keep the label alive at this point.

We've had to stop planning new CD's and picking up new bands because we simply can't afford it anymore. It's as simple as that.

Sorry for such a depressing topic, but I just felt this would be a good place to discuss this and to let you all know where we currently stand. People seem to really like our bands and releases and it's really a great feeling to know that. On the other hand, there's a dark side to all of this and things are not getting any better. The bigger labels/distributors simply don't care if we live or die....and that's why it's up to YOU. If you want to see more albums in the future from FRIGHTMARE, GHOUL, SPLATTERHOUSE, etc.....it can only happen from your direct support. Otherwise...we're FUCKED!

Thanks to everyone who does buy direct and orders our mailorder titles as well. It really is appreciated and we do everything we can to make sure the orders go out the next day as fast as possible, with still the cheapest prices possible!

Razorback records
TheGoreGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
SabbaS

Jup,

I Think a lot of people don't have a clue of things regarding the "smaller" labels.
And I sincerely hope that the story above can make a little side shift regarding their point of view.

All Hail the Goreboar,

mosh !!

Bas
SabbaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:24 AM   #3
SabbaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucified Coma
Wait, so...Razorback aren't rich?? :(
Hehehhehe reality check

They ain't rich !!

And if nobody's willing to purchase the releases directly from them good folks over @ Razorback, be it either because they don't know the whole background why they should or be it just because they are too damn lazy :rocket:. I foresee a very negative outcome for underground labels, world wide that is.

It's not only Razorback which suffers these kind of things !!

C'mon people underground is for sure not similar to big BUCKS !!

Creating art, recording the whole thing getting the recordings to the pessing plant and stuff costs the bands, labels a fair share of money
After that it's struggling to get all the investments break even.

later

Bas
SabbaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
TheGoreGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucified Coma
I think Razorback is a great label and has a ton of great bands, but at the same time, the music industry is changing. I don't really see a very bright future for them, sadly.
If people supported the labels they like, than there would be a lot more good music. I am pretty sure all the hive bands are people who work their ass off at shitty jobs and than release their music and its all labours of love, but if people don't support our asses, there will be no new material because we will die because of debt and trying to pay our bills. I think people forget that small labels get run by dedication and there are no big managers, promotion budgets, offices, wealth fame, just blood sweat and tears in a basement to stay afloat.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:33 AM   #5
Lostandnotfound

I can't afford to buy cds like I used to, but in the past I would buy at least 2- 5 a week!! Sometimes more then that, just depended on how much money I had and what was out at that time. Lately razorback has dissappointed as far as releases go. I like the machetzomo and birdflesh, fondlecorpse , and some of the other bands. But what happened to fuck I'm dead, Medical county examiners ect... This label is sproting out one hit wonders left and right. One album comes out and then band gets signed to a big label. For example TCME and engorged, well engorged eventually came back home wheret hey belong. My biggest question is why is razorback constantly releasing thrashy/death metal? Look at the new frightmare cd I wanted this thing so bad and my freind told me it wasn't that good I heard it and I was very dissappointed. Gone are the crazy drum beats with super fast guitars and brutal gurged vocals, now it's slowed and it kinda bores me. So what happened to the days when razorback was committed to signing the heaviest grind? And the heaviest death metal? Don't get me wrong though I still think razorback has the best distro in the underground, and they have NEVER RIPPED ME OFF. The reality is the with the internet cd labels and stores are going under, because tons of people are downloading cds. Now the consumer is the one who decides, who wins and who loses.
Lostandnotfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:46 PM   #6
Defleshed by flieS

it may sound stupid.. but i alsmost only buy the stuff that gets out on vinyl, if it's only on cd, i have no choice ofcourse.. but most of the razorback releases get released on vinyl by a different label.. wich is a shame!
But i must admit.. after the razorback sampler i am hooked / say addicted to razorback bands.. most of them are the upcomming bands like splatterhouse, kutabare, maggut, fondlecorpse, and some of the oldies like impaled and haemorrhage ( what have they released on razorback??)

so why isn't razorback releasing any vinyl?
Defleshed by flieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
TheGoreGnome

Well i can't talk directly for them but i dont think we are talking about people having to buy cd's they don't like. The problem is more i think people who don't buy the cd's they do like. I think people forget smaller labels are run to hopefully break even and are more of a labour of love than a business. If a cd does well than maybe it can make a next cd possible. If a cd does well that usually means at best the money put in gets earned back. We are talking such small printruns that if it all sold out you won't even come close to a normal paycheck of a months work. Thats the main issue these labels are small and hardly any cash to back shit up. Small labels have no reserves to cover a setback. Also i mean a cd for 10 bucks is peanuts, and you have to take into account postage costs, packing material costs, website space to pay for any promotion done, promotional copies, im the end the cash thats left is what? enough to buy a dvd or two. The thing with Razorback is the bands are free (and a bunch just leave when more cash gets offered to them or just want bigger labels) so its not Razorbacks fault if a band only does one cd, and they run a tight ship sending out stuff and make sure everybody is happy. If we are talking big cd companies than the consumer wins, in underground label territory we lose because labels just die and you lose a good place to get cheap cd's and reliable service. I know a few label's who called it quits because they thought it was too much work and didnt get any respect and quit. If people don't support the people who bust their ass getting quality releases out than those labels die and shitty labels take over who just release shitty cheap ass versions of the cd. I rather have the big ass releases that have a lot of work in them. I mean nobody is saying you should buy cd's you don't like you know? but if you don't support the ones you do like they will dissapear. I know my band is in a constant struggle to pay the bills and save up cash to get shit done. I think people somethimes think a lot of cash goes round in these things while in reality we all barely survive as it is and all work the same shit jobs as our fans to be able to eat and pay rent. Reality isn't as glamourour as one thinks and we all definately don't have the big ass villa's we see on MTV Cribs hahaha. Sorry people most of us live in ghetto areas in shite appartments barely surviving lol. This is however how i see it. This is just a way to show people that labels they think are huge are really just a few people in a back room working their asses off for the love of music and money is hardly made. But people shouldn't forget theres a difference between sony, roadrunner and other big labels and tiny fanbased driven labels you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostandnotfound
I can't afford to buy cds like I used to, but in the past I would buy at least 2- 5 a week!! Sometimes more then that, just depended on how much money I had and what was out at that time. Lately razorback has dissappointed as far as releases go. I like the machetzomo and birdflesh, fondlecorpse , and some of the other bands. But what happened to fuck I'm dead, Medical county examiners ect... This label is sproting out one hit wonders left and right. One album comes out and then band gets signed to a big label. For example TCME and engorged, well engorged eventually came back home wheret hey belong. My biggest question is why is razorback constantly releasing thrashy/death metal? Look at the new frightmare cd I wanted this thing so bad and my freind told me it wasn't that good I heard it and I was very dissappointed. Gone are the crazy drum beats with super fast guitars and brutal gurged vocals, now it's slowed and it kinda bores me. So what happened to the days when razorback was committed to signing the heaviest grind? And the heaviest death metal? Don't get me wrong though I still think razorback has the best distro in the underground, and they have NEVER RIPPED ME OFF. The reality is the with the internet cd labels and stores are going under, because tons of people are downloading cds. Now the consumer is the one who decides, who wins and who loses.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:40 AM   #8
TheGoreGnome

Razorback doesnt have the money to release vinyl versions i already asked a long time ago. So the bands are free to license out their own music to other companies if i am not mistaken to be released on vinyl. Thats why it's all kinds of different companies who release the vinyl versions. And Impaled and Haemorrhage did a bad ass split cd called DEMENTIA REX a while back on the label, i think it might be repressed somewhere in the future (IF they can find the extra money somethime to re-release it) I like that cd a lot its fucking bad ass!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defleshed by flieS
it may sound stupid.. but i alsmost only buy the stuff that gets out on vinyl, if it's only on cd, i have no choice ofcourse.. but most of the razorback releases get released on vinyl by a different label.. wich is a shame!
But i must admit.. after the razorback sampler i am hooked / say addicted to razorback bands.. most of them are the upcomming bands like splatterhouse, kutabare, maggut, fondlecorpse, and some of the oldies like impaled and haemorrhage ( what have they released on razorback??)

so why isn't razorback releasing any vinyl?
Old 05-28-2006, 06:29 PM   #9
Defleshed by flieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoreGnome
Razorback doesnt have the money to release vinyl versions i already asked a long time ago. So the bands are free to license out their own music to other companies if i am not mistaken to be released on vinyl. Thats why it's all kinds of different companies who release the vinyl versions. And Impaled and Haemorrhage did a bad ass split cd called DEMENTIA REX a while back on the label, i think it might be repressed somewhere in the future (IF they can find the extra money somethime to re-release it) I like that cd a lot its fucking bad ass!!!
yeah i have it, fucking killer!!!
Love both the bands, and as soon as they rerelease it on vinyl ill just by myself a double copy!
It's a good thing razorback gives free the license to get vinyl releases done by other labels.. I know there are allot of bands wanting to get old releases done on vinyl but cannot get any form of arrangement with their old label.. wich i think is a damn shame!

I must say i have allot of razorback releases both on cd and vinyl, i wish RB allot of luck with the strugle to stay with their heads above water. I hope they ll manage!
Defleshed by flieS is offline   Reply With Quote