SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Element

Element Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 01-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
Innards-Decay
Banned

Crate SPA-200?

I'm interested in getting one because Mason said it was awesome and I need a power amp for my GSP. I have a Marshall 1960a cabinet, which is 8 ohms stereo. Apparently that makes the wattage 70 per side. Will I get any clipping at this level? Also, if I put the volume knobs at 10 then use my gsp's volume as a master will anything bad happen?
Innards-Decay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
ElementGuitar

You have to be careful to find a good one on ebay. I got lucky and found two out of three that were pretty good. One, I tried to have repaired but it was so old and used, it wouldn't stop humming. Not out of the cabinet, but just by itself. It was annoying.

Anyway. On this power amp, I recommend putting the volume on the spa-200 at about 3 to 4. You can use your gsp as the master volume.

I would however recommend that you save your money and buy a Carvin DCM600. This amp is a powerhouse and sounds as close to a tube amp without the price.
ElementGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:27 AM   #3
Innards-Decay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementGuitar
You have to be careful to find a good one on ebay. I got lucky and found two out of three that were pretty good. One, I tried to have repaired but it was so old and used, it wouldn't stop humming. Not out of the cabinet, but just by itself. It was annoying.

Anyway. On this power amp, I recommend putting the volume on the spa-200 at about 3 to 4. You can use your gsp as the master volume.

I would however recommend that you save your money and buy a Carvin DCM600. This amp is a powerhouse and sounds as close to a tube amp without the price.
Yeah I was defenitely considering the carvin, but the lack of a presence knob is a bit lame, even if it is a PA poweramp. I'd like something with alot of headroom, but also something that wont overload an 8 ohm 150 watt stereo cabinet.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
ElementGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innards-Decay
Yeah I was defenitely considering the carvin, but the lack of a presence knob is a bit lame, even if it is a PA poweramp. I'd like something with alot of headroom, but also something that wont overload an 8 ohm 150 watt stereo cabinet.
Don't worry about the presence knobs. You don't need it. You have enough eq in the gsp to get your tone. Presence knobs are only good on tube power amps, because they use actual preamps tubes, like 12AX7's (works really good for jazzy or blues tones, but not needed for distortion). Otherwise you just get boosted digital highs which sound really electronic sounding. The DCM600 has more headroom, and you only need to use one side of the amp to power out your cab. It's really good when you want to add another cab to your setup.

Ask Mike from Severed Savior, Matt from Decrepit Birth and Colin from Vile, there is a thing as too much eq.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
Innards-Decay
Banned

I hear its bad for a poweramp if you only use one side of it and have both turned on, plus stereo seems to sound somewhat bigger.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
ElementGuitar

Quote:
I hear its bad for a poweramp if you only use one side of it and have both turned on, plus stereo seems to sound somewhat bigger.
Where did you hear that? Nah, it won't do anything bad at all. Okay, so the DCM600 runs at a continous 125w per channel at 8 ohms. That should be plenty of headroom for your cabinet (you said 70w rms per side = 140w peak power - that's perfect). If you send 125 per side of your cabinet, it will definitely push the speakers.

Stereo sounds better, I don't know about bigger. It really comes down to your ohms. 4 ohms is the most power, if your cabinet is wired like that. I'm assuming your cabinet is 8 ohm stereo, 16 ohm mono. Anyway, you can put it in stereo, which will be enough power and sound really good. Especially for stereo-chorus effects, or panning delays.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:29 AM   #7
Innards-Decay
Banned

Quote:
Where did you hear that? Nah, it won't do anything bad at all. Okay, so the DCM600 runs at a continous 125w per channel at 8 ohms. That should be plenty of headroom for your cabinet (you said 70w rms per side = 140w peak power - that's perfect). If you send 125 per side of your cabinet, it will definitely push the speakers.

Stereo sounds better, I don't know about bigger. It really comes down to your ohms. 4 ohms is the most power, if your cabinet is wired like that. I'm assuming your cabinet is 8 ohm stereo, 16 ohm mono. Anyway, you can put it in stereo, which will be enough power and sound really good. Especially for stereo-chorus effects, or panning delays.
Yeah, Marshall 1960A, which is actually 150watts per side. I thought I said the SPA-200 was 70 watts per side RMS at 8 ohms stereo. I think ill probably go with the DCM though. Now whether or not to change the livewires I have to the 81 I just bought.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:17 PM   #8
Innards-Decay
Banned

So if my cabinet runs at 150 watts per side at 8 ohms, the peak is 300. This pdf I read about wiring says to match the peak wattage. Does that mean I should get the dcm 1500 or just stick with the 600?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:26 AM   #9
Innards-Decay
Banned

Quote:
I would stick with the 600. Trust me, this beast gets it done.
Sounds good. Two of my favorite death metal guitarists (Decrepit Matt and Mike) and you give it a vote of confidence, so I don't think I can really go wrong. Thanks for the advice man.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:32 AM   #10
ElementGuitar

Dude, you'll be stoked on it. The amp is a tank, built well and sounds really good.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:19 PM   #11
Innards-Decay
Banned

Yeah I probably will be. I still wonder if 125watts at 8 ohms is enough. Matt and mike still haven't gotten back to me on how they run their cabinets resistance wise.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:17 PM   #12
Innards-Decay
Banned

so he runs it 4 ohms mono? Well, that does sound like alot of power talking peaks, so I'll go with that.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #13
ElementGuitar

Quote:
so he runs it 4 ohms mono?
Yes.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
Innards-Decay
Banned

Thats 600 watts.... matches the peaks.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #15
ElementGuitar

Quote:
Thats 600 watts.... matches the peaks.
Mike doesn't bridge the channels on his amp though. He uses one channel 4 ohms at 225w to power his cab. It was very loud at their practice.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:17 PM   #16
Innards-Decay
Banned

Alright, sounds good. Now just to pick a preamp. I really like the GSP, but I want something with a more "Disgorgy" quality to it.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #17
ElementGuitar

Quote:
Alright, sounds good. Now just to pick a preamp. I really like the GSP, but I want something with a more "Disgorgy" quality to it.
They use Line 6 Pod Pro and the Flextone head. I don't know, they scoop their mids a ton and use a lot of gain. Were you thinking of getting a GSP Legend? Maybe look into a 2101. I owned a LE version of the 2101, it really has that Disgorge tone to it, but you can adjust it to any tone you desire.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #18
Innards-Decay
Banned

Can the 2120 pull that? I have a GSP 21 Legend, and its really good, but its not disgorgy enough.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #19
ElementGuitar

Quote:
Can the 2120 pull that? I have a GSP 21 Legend, and its really good, but its not disgorgy enough.
My 2120 has more organic, mid-tone feel to it. I guess if I totally drop the mids and crank the gain, I could get pretty close. But I think the 2101 is better for that type of tone.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:31 PM   #20
Innards-Decay
Banned

Quote:
My 2120 has more organic, mid-tone feel to it. I guess if I totally drop the mids and crank the gain, I could get pretty close. But I think the 2101 is better for that type of tone.
I just plugged my BBE 362 into my Digitech and it got alot more scooped sounding. I know it would do that, and maybe if my pickups didn't have and insane amount of mids (duncan Live wire Metal), it would sound better.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:32 PM   #21
Innards-Decay
Banned

I'll play around with my options though, I'd really like a 2101 with dual S-discs, or a pod XT for direct recording.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:56 AM   #22
ElementGuitar

Quote:
I'll play around with my options though, I'd really like a 2101 with dual S-discs, or a pod XT for direct recording.
I had both. I would've kept the 2101. I had the LE (Limitd Edition), it's the only 2101 model that has the Dual S-discs. The 2112 and the 2120 have them as well. But I think if you really wanted that Disgorge sound the 2101 would sound the closest.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:04 AM   #23
diablero

Quote:
The DCM600 has more headroom, and you only need to use one side of the amp to power out your cab. It's really good when you want to add another cab to your setup.

Ask Mike from Severed Savior, Matt from Decrepit Birth and Colin from Vile, there is a thing as too much eq.
I just sold my vintage Marshall and going for full rack gear....this Carvin DCM600 you were taking about seems very nice to me, quality for good price.
But it's PA amp....so just to get rid off some doubts it would be very helpful to hear some cilps.....so if you have some please share it....

Anyway in my rack I've got ADA MP1 classic, Boss GX700(for FX & EQ) and Marshall JCM900 4X12 box so I guess DCM600 would be a right fit...

THX for help.......btw Inception of the Flagitious sounds amazing! Keep it brutal :FIREdevil
diablero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:33 PM   #24
ElementGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablero
I just sold my vintage Marshall and going for full rack gear....this Carvin DCM600 you were taking about seems very nice to me, quality for good price.
But it's PA amp....so just to get rid off some doubts it would be very helpful to hear some cilps.....so if you have some please share it....

Anyway in my rack I've got ADA MP1 classic, Boss GX700(for FX & EQ) and Marshall JCM900 4X12 box so I guess DCM600 would be a right fit.
I used the DCM1000 on the album. A solid state power amp, can be used for PA or instrument amplification. The circuitry is basically the same in a solid state power as a solid state amp. If you could afford it, I would go for a tube power amp. I just bought another Carvin TS-100 (100 watt tube power amp), gave it another try. Seems to be working out okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablero
THX for help.......btw Inception of the Flagitious sounds amazing! Keep it brutal :FIREdevil
Thanks, we appreciate it.