SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Psycroptic

Psycroptic Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 11-27-2004, 11:32 PM   #31
El-Heino
EM-Guld

Ahoy! A newly converted Psycroptic fan here (after that London show) !!! Wow, what a gig, really impressed by the tasmanian boyz.

First, some general comments about the gig:

* That 1st opening band "Fallen of Serenity" were really pitiful, possibly one of the worst I've seen. Like watching little kids desperately trying to avoid shooting their own wad in their own eyes. And boy, someone has got to go over to the European continent and teach them about "metal clichés", coz they pretty much served them all up...

* Unfortunately, Sanatorium had to pull out of the tour. Martin told me that their drummer couldn't take the time off... A real pity when you think about how much work that guy has put into this band over the years; it was finally a chance to reap some rewards. Next time maybe...

* Anata actually managed to pull off a decent set, despite the massive challenge that Psycroptic has set upon them from playing before. Though they really are as ugly as they look in those album photo shoots. Furthermore, I didn't like the impression I got from them wearing their own band T-shirts...says a lot about those egos.

* Dismember did not deserve their crowd response. They performed what felt like a standard/half-tired set, resting on their laurels and not earning their audience. This is so accentuated by the fact that the opening band had put such effort to make a good impact.

* It was a brilliant surprise to catch up with Mr Paul Speckmann. Even nicer than usual, what can I say!!!? It was touching to see that he'd clearly built a nice rapport with the Taz boyz. Though, he didn't have anything nice to say about those Swedish egos. (He's gonna be Tour Manager on the last leg of the Dissection European tour in mid-Dec, and he was definitely excited about that!!!!).

* As commented with the band afterwards (great chaps, btw), it is totally unacceptable that there was absolutely NO MENTION of Psycroptic on any UK tour posters, Press/Magazine ads, etc. (only Dismember & Anata...figures). Those promoters/agents must really be getting lazy, this is such an insult to the bands...especially when they come from so far. Hell, even I wasn't certain they were playing at the show until I was INSIDE the **** venue. Booh, piss poor.

And now that monumentuous Psycroptic set:
My oh my...what a delivery! I had been intrigued to see whether they'd pull off that album stuff live...Hell yeah!!! Those Haley brothers are fused together in the time/space continuum, I swear!!! Upon close observation, I'd put the success of their show to the following;
1) That guitarrrrrgh sound! Joe has got a mean "black box" that is pretty much the secret to capturing every picked note to perfection. This was key to get that album feel working in the live context. What a guitarist...and he's only a toddler; 21!
2) Those drum triggers, I don't think I've been to many gigs where the kicks were so precise, nor so distinct in the live sound (the Underworld has really been improving its live venue system it seems). Dave is a fiend on that kit.
3) TIGHTNESS! Those rehearsals (and the talent) must have really payed off; this was one tightly crafted precision machine. I'm still gobsmacked!

It was just a total honour that they'd manage to get they skinny asses all the way over to Europe.

My only constructive criticism of the band (and I realise here that I'm on a fans' board - indeed I am a fan of the band too!) would be that their songs have a tendency to become a tad samey. Don't get me wrong: each one of their songs is a beautifully crafted piece, but when amassed together the value of the whole is diminished by its uniformity. Perhaps they could develop some more variety either within or between their songs in the future. For next output, maybe?

* Gosh, this post got long... *

Good luck with everything and a safe journey home, fellas!!
El-Heino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 11:39 PM   #32
CarlSylosis

Yes quite the lengthy post, how long have you been into the Psy? i've had both albums for a while now and it takes a while to fully appreciate what exactly's going on so as for the variety comment, each song is like the beginning to a new album! was amazing to see them pulling it all off the way they did too.
I certainly hope you bought atleast Scepter last night sonny ;)
CarlSylosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 11:49 PM   #33
El-Heino
EM-Guld

This isn't about proving worthiness is it?

If you must ask; I've been listening to (and own) the albums (both) for over a year now. There's a difference between hearing and appreciating the music, and to becoming a "fan" (a word I don't use lightly, btw). For me, seeing them live helped to take that extra level (which is a great outcome for a band to achieve from a gig, don't you think?).

But my comment about variety holds.
El-Heino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 10:55 AM   #34
CarlSylosis

Fair enough.
Definately one of the best Underworld gigs i've been to anyway apart from Dismember who sucked bollak although i didn't see the bands before Psycroptic and Anata being as good as always except their sound wasn't as fine tuned as the Psy.
CarlSylosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:00 PM   #35
NRWDM_Markus
Pancake Professional

I've seen them twice and both shows were killer, but the audience sucked the first time. They were playing as co-headliners in Osnabrück, but the crowd there sucks always... 30 to 40 people at our Monstrosity show and 80 to 100 people at our Deicide show last weekend says it all...

Unless it's not a huge 9-bands festival package people there don't show up and they don't support bands they don't know and which are not featured in the big magazines...

It's totally different in Wermelskirchen. That place always rocks and people there are totally supportive towards underground bands. Psycroptic had a good following there and even a cool pit and stagedivers.

Both shows were cool, but with a good audience it's always much more fun.

BTW, I liked Fall of Serenity. Metal cliche? Well, 1/2 or 3/5 of them looked like a modern Metal Core band to me, and that's not a metal cliche... that's a trend.
They were nice guys and their performance was better than Psycroptic's and Anata's, coz they were moving more on stage. Their music wasn't that complex, but they were not 'nailed' to the stage with their feet which was good for their show. I didn't had the time to listen to their CD that I traded with them though so far.

Anata were cool. I just talked to their vocalist/guitar player and told the other guitar player that he looks like Marc Grewe from Morgoth. No sign of being an ego while talking to them.

Dismember were killer on both shows! That was just awesome and made me forget their show at the Party San Open Air where they all were totally drunk. Great sound and great performance.

Last edited by NRWDM_Markus; 11-28-2004 at 03:10 PM..
NRWDM_Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:40 PM   #36
Hackgore

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by El-Heino
[B]Furthermore, I didn't like the impression I got from them wearing their own band T-shirts...says a lot about those egos.
wouldn't you wear your own shirts?
Hackgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 08:08 AM   #37
NRWDM_Markus
Pancake Professional

Suffocation wear their own shirts, Krisiun do it a lot of times, my bandmates wear our shirts from time to time when we're playing live and I wear my own shirts every now and then to promote my band at other band's shows. There's nothing wrong with it. Wearing other band's shirts to promote them at your own shows is good though and I and a lot of other band's do that, too.
NRWDM_Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:28 AM   #38
Eos

I took pics of the two gigs in Switzerland. For now the ones of the gig in Zurich are online so if you like you can check them out at Metalpics.ch.
More coming soon!

Cheers!
Shelley
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 01:43 PM   #39
Dr. Kang Mao-pang
yes it's chalky

Quote:
Originally posted by CarlSylosis
Holy fuck, saw them last night in Camden...
was just a bit silly really, i spoke to the guitarist, bassist and fill in singer and they now know i'm the crazy one getting the logo tattooed on my arm, they even told me exactly where to put it so that's what im getting for christmas
Yeh the guitarist seemed well drunk and that was shortly after coming off stage so he was probably drunk onstage! which is fuckin silly seing as what he had to play live.
I assume you are referring to Joe (Psycroptic Guit)?- I guarantee he wasnt drunk onstage- Psycroptic have never and will never be drunk or drink alcohol (except maybe on the VERY odd occasion Cam bass has one or 2) onstage. We consider playing tight and being professional of utmost importance for us- oh, and none of us can play pissed.....just wanted to clear that up. \m/
Dr. Kang Mao-pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 01:58 PM   #40
Eos

Quote:
Originally posted by NRWDM_Markus Dismember were killer on both shows! That was just awesome and made me forget their show at the Party San Open Air where they all were totally drunk. Great sound and great performance. [/B]
That's good to hear! The PartySan show didn't really do well to the band's reputation *gg*.. The show sucked but they were actually not that drunk. The problem was more that some of the guys had to work the night before so didn't get any sleep. Oh, and Matti didn't fell because he was drunk but because he stumbled over Johan's leg *gg*
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote