View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #27
sweetXmajestic
The Metal Mama

I just got mine on Monday finally and yes, pre-ordered it ages ago. I figured it would take 4-6 weeks from when the Neurotic site said they were shipping them, and it took about 4. I had been checking my mailbox daily waiting for that cd. I got my Deathchain "Deathrash Assault" cd on the same day so my week is now complete (musicaly anyways).

As for the cd, it's bad ass. The songs are a lot to take in all in jsut one spin because there really is a lot going on...but did you expect anything less coming out of SOP? I didn't think so. Yes, the guitar is technical, but the songs aren't written so complex that you get lost in them. SOP have a way of finding a perspective medium between those two qualities. Man the fucking riffage on this cd, it's massive. That "jazz like" outro on Sour flow threw me for a surprise, but the name fits that song fully. I like how the individual drums stick out a bit more on this cd, but the bass isn't as prominant as it was on the previous release, I actually turned my bass up a bit more then I normally would.

And I agree wtih Inquest up there when he/she says that both bands slay me in different ways. Necrophagist lean a little more on the melodic/progressive side. Sure they are still brutal as hell, but obviously both bands have many differences. I really enjoy Necrophagist because they found the perfect blend of technicality and melody. They're high on my favorite band list. As for SOP topping Necrophagist? I think it's actually all in musical taste, it's all in the qualities you look for in a band. We could argue about that for weeks. I like Necrophagist because I think they DO have the songwriting skills and are still technical as hell. The riffage is speedy and noodley but there's still an underlying balance that makes them not seem too chaotic where it is just noise to my ears. SOP have that same quality but go about it in a more brutal way.

Last edited by sweetXmajestic; 06-27-2006 at 03:55 PM..
sweetXmajestic is offline   Reply With Quote