8.) The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Manic Depression
7.) Rush - Red Barchetta
6.) The Beatles - She's So Heavy
5.) Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
4.) Duran Duran - Rio
3.) The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby
2.) Prince - Purple Rain
1.) Blue Öyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper

I believe the Foo Fighters covered Baker Street a few years back, so that one is out of the question. It's not the same without the saxophone and the fretless bass anyway.

Godhead did a pretty cool industrial cover of Eleanor Rigby not too long ago, so we can scratch that one, too.

I always wanted to cover Kashmir, but Puff Daddy or P. Diddy or whatever the fuck his name is this week fucked that up for everybody. I think if some kid ten years from now walked up and accused us of borrowing that guitar riff from a P. Diddy song, I would consider going on a heroin binge. Not because I have any problem with the evolution of music or the marriage of two genres or anything, just because the kid will never have heard of Jimmy Page. MTV is about as good for our culture as a cheese grater is for masturbating.

In response to Juggla:

Did you mean Don't Fear The Reaper or a Creedence tune? You have the benefit of the doubt. Creedence has some good tunes.

Stream of consciousness: I am rethinking my Top 10 because I forgot to include The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn! and The Mamas & The Papas California Dreamin'. We could do kickass versions of both of those tunes. But I still think the BÖC tune would rock the most.
MichælAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote