Thread: Beer Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #54
Regurgitated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomes of Deceit View Post
So, for people like Reincremation or Flayed who seem to be down with the whole tasting notes scene:

Did you actively cultivate your ability to pick out flavors? Whenever I read beer reviews I can't taste 98% of the flavors people claim are in there. I often wonder if I either don't have the right tastebuds, or the right cognitive workings to ever taste things in that way. Often someone will compare a beer to an ingredient that I've certainly had in various different food-settings, but I can't even conjure up a clear idea of what that thing tastes like in the first place, let alone search the beer for it.

I'm not really worried about it in terms of my own enjoyment of beer, mainly curious.
I seem to have a mild problem like this. Sometimes I taste what's there and sometimes not.

I had a bottle of Gulden Draak a few days ago, and I really liked it, but I didn't find many of the flavors most people got. Transient said it tasted like sweet caramel in the old beer thread but I hardly tasted sweet caramel. My girl had a few sips and said she didn't like it. Definitely worth the money and would buy again, like Wachtourak said, I guess you just need to keep drinking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincremation View Post
stone got recognized early as a craft powerhouse and i think it hurt them in the long run. they dictated american craft drinkers' tastes for several years and basically inaugurated the trend towards really malty, overhopped, high-alcohol brews. in response, other breweries went one of two directions: brews that were more subtle, interesting, and complex, or beers that were even more extreme in their hop, malt, and alcohol content. both of those developments made stone look bad. all their recent brews are trying to go the subtle and unusual route, but it's falling flat. i still think their ruination IPA and classic IPA are two of the best west coast IPAs, and there's nothing to hate about their russian imperial stout, though i've noticed a decline in the quality of their old guardian barleywine over the years. btw, i'm no sucker for historical context when it comes to beer a brewery is only as good as their latest batch.

The Stone Brewery isn't too far from here and although I've tried all their products, I'm not a stone drinker anymore. I was always told that Stone was the ULTIMATE MAN'S BEER and if I didn't like it that I WAS A GIRL. I wont lie, I got used to the "hoppiness" of most Stones and I would say it's definitely gotten me ready for different beers like the Green Flash West Coast IPA or Old Rasputin, but I know they aren't the epitome of what a good beer is.
Regurgitated is offline   Reply With Quote