SMNnews Forums

SMNnews Forums (http://forums.smnnews.com/index.php)
-   Adrift (http://forums.smnnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   song (http://forums.smnnews.com/showthread.php?t=15908)

awncrew 07-18-2004 04:14 PM

song
 
http://www.awakingnightmare.com/A%20...vs.%20Them.MP3

check it out ...tell me what you think
love
me

owenadrift 07-18-2004 08:13 PM

Let's see...
 
It needs more dissonant chords, and more evil chord progressions, and 600 more riffs that don't fit the song. And could you make the vocal delivery more un-understandable? It reminds me of The Statler Brothers during their cracked-out period between '68 and '68 1/2. I would give it a 3 out of 10....

crispykid88 07-18-2004 08:56 PM

jack knows all about that shit, maybe if he does that to all your songs you'll go somewhere;)

Fisting The Dead 07-19-2004 12:12 AM

Not bad, dude. It deserves more than a 3 out of 10 I think. Just be thankful that he at least listened to your music. I guess he refuses to listen to mine or something despite the fact that I was really hoping him of all people would hear it.
Anyway, I think your music is pretty original but maybe not focused completely. But that is where the originality comes from. 6 out of 10. Not completely my cup of tea.

crispykid88 07-19-2004 03:36 AM

wow Iyou just had to be an asshole about it, at least hes making an effort to make something

crispykid88 07-19-2004 03:58 PM

you are being an asshole and trying to be a smart ass about it to.your just trying to be a smart ass about it cause your in a band, that most people only know of cause jack is in. my bands is a pile of shit right now we dont have a drummer or a bassist maybe one day you'll hear us, but you wont like us cause were going for the death metal direction.

AstlAdrift 07-19-2004 04:16 PM



OK, everyone, let's take a big chill pill, please.

Let me speak for a moment.

First of all, this forum is about being open and honest. Sure, we get our share of Adrift haters and detractors, and those that have nothing better to do than bash us - which is cool. We are stronger for it, and I will be the LAST person to censor ANY of you or your opinions - just let's please be not only civil, but respectful as well. This is a "FORUM," which is defined as "a public meeting place for open discussion." Open discussion is welcome here.

That means that every now and again, people will disagree. No problem, this is natural, and actually desirable. After all, if we all thought alike, what kind of horrid place would the world be? Plus, we in Adrift are open and honest, first with ourselves and each other, but next with our friends and fans. We WANT you to be honest with us. What do you like about us? What DON'T you like about us? What aspects of the music work for you, what do you feel, etc.? We expect honesty, but flip the coin, and we will GIVE honesty as well.

And sometimes, honesty means saying what may be an unpalatable or uncomfortable thing, or expressing an opinion that may arouse ire or displeasure. Remember, it is nearly inpossible to glean a "tone" from an email or a posting...the words are dry and cannot be conveyed with the usual amount of candor or sincerity that we are typically able to in person.

We want you to put and post links to your music. But, keep in mind, as you are asking us to do this, we may not care for it, either for songwriting aspects, production quality, or otherwise. We are not denigrating you, or your music, but again, with honesty often comes bluntness, and with music, passion and emotion are involved, so that discussions, if not altogether positive, may devolve into pettiness and name-calling. NEITHER of which I want for this site. We are not attempting to be hurtful with our assessments of your craft, but hope that our comments may motivate you to better hone and work on your songs, making you happier and potentially more successful with your music endeavors.

Just some words of wisdom from one who knows much about saying evil things and pissing people off...don't forget, I'm an attorney, and my job sometimes is exactly that (which I abhor, believe me, though it is at times a necessity). But, I will not, have not, and never will, treat you that come to our Adrift site, with evil-ness (is that a word?) or purposely intend to piss any of you off.


Forum: a public meeting place for open discussion.


Let's all (and that includes Adrift members) remember that.

PS: Is it possible for me to post anything NOT half a page long? I think not.

crispykid88 07-19-2004 04:17 PM

i can judge you cause you had to be an asshole on every post on this topic and you just admitted to being an asshole. if you dont want to post then dont post.

Fisting The Dead 07-19-2004 04:20 PM

Re: Come now please
 
Quote:

Originally posted by marqADRIFT
Fisting, I listened and I actually think your shit sounds better than this.
Heh, thanks. I appreciate you actually taking the time to listen to it, despite the fact that I know you don't like it. Anyway, that Crispy dude is not really saying that you're an asshole, he's just saying that you're BEING an asshole. I just think you should be lighter on this song since you don't really like the genre. It's cool if you don't listen to death metal, but you shouldn't really put it down. I don't like your music much either, but I have said positive things about it. But I'm not trying to start anything...don't hate on me. :D

crispykid88 07-19-2004 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AstlAdrift


OK, everyone, let's take a big chill pill, please.

Let me speak for a moment.

First of all, this forum is about being open and honest. Sure, we get our share of Adrift haters and detractors, and those that have nothing better to do than bash us - which is cool. We are stronger for it, and I will be the LAST person to censor ANY of you or your opinions - just let's please be not only civil, but respectful as well. This is a "FORUM," which is defined as "a public meeting place for open discussion." Open discussion is welcome here.

That means that every now and again, people will disagree. No problem, this is natural, and actually desirable. After all, if we all thought alike, what kind of horrid place would the world be? Plus, we in Adrift are open and honest, first with ourselves and each other, but next with our friends and fans. We WANT you to be honest with us. What do you like about us? What DON'T you like about us? What aspects of the music work for you, what do you feel, etc.? We expect honesty, but flip the coin, and we will GIVE honesty as well.

And sometimes, honesty means saying what may be an unpalatable or uncomfortable thing, or expressing an opinion that may arouse ire or displeasure. Remember, it is nearly inpossible to glean a "tone" from an email or a posting...the words are dry and cannot be conveyed with the usual amount of candor or sincerity that we are typically able to in person.

We want you to put and post links to your music. But, keep in mind, as you are asking us to do this, we may not care for it, either for songwriting aspects, production quality, or otherwise. We are not denigrating you, or your music, but again, with honesty often comes bluntness, and with music, passion and emotion are involved, so that discussions, if not altogether positive, may devolve into pettiness and name-calling. NEITHER of which I want for this site. We are not attempting to be hurtful with our assessments of your craft, but hope that our comments may motivate you to better hone and work on your songs, making you happier and potentially more successful with your music endeavors.

Just some words of wisdom from one who knows much about saying evil things and pissing people off...don't forget, I'm an attorney, and my job sometimes is exactly that (which I abhor, believe me, though it is at times a necessity). But, I will not, have not, and never will, treat you that come to our Adrift site, with evil-ness (is that a word?) or purposely intend to piss any of you off.


Forum: a public meeting place for open discussion.


Let's all (and that includes Adrift members) remember that.

PS: Is it possible for me to post anything NOT half a page long? I think not.




the only thing i will differ with on that is the quality of production thing, most of them things are done on their own computer or on an eigth track recorder. we cant get into a recording studio and shit

crispykid88 07-19-2004 04:25 PM

Re: Re: Come now please
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Fisting The Dead
Heh, thanks. I appreciate you actually taking the time to listen to it, despite the fact that I know you don't like it. Anyway, that Crispy dude is not really saying that you're an asshole, he's just saying that you're BEING an asshole. I just think you should be lighter on this song since you don't really like the genre. It's cool if you don't listen to death metal, but you shouldn't really put it down. I don't like your music much either, but I have said positive things about it. But I'm not trying to start anything...don't hate on me. :D

he's 100% correct

crispykid88 07-19-2004 04:48 PM

dude ypu didnt have to be an asshole about it and nit pick about every fucking thing

AstlAdrift 07-19-2004 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by crispykid88
the only thing i will differ with on that is the quality of production thing, most of them things are done on their own computer or on an eigth track recorder. we cant get into a recording studio and shit
CK88, just because you can't get into a recording studio does not mean that you cannot make decent quality recordings on a computer, nor does it or should it mean that we cannot make a comment on the production if you have asked us to check it out. Production is one of the first thing that label people (especially death and extreme metal labels, based on the sheer volume of bands out there) listen to, so production values should be high on your priority list. Some of the best sounding demos I've heard were done in people's houses, not in studios.

crispykid88 07-19-2004 04:52 PM

i was just trying so say that most people cant afford expensive equipment

AstlAdrift 07-19-2004 05:00 PM



Crispy,

The days of needing expensive equipment are gone. If we had had computers and Roland VS-880s and all that shit back in the old death metal days, we would have sold a lot more records and had a much larger fan base. I come from the old-school tape-trading days.

All, I'm saying, is, make the best with what you have. If you don't know how to use it well, educate yourself by looking at the manuals and checking online forums regarding the use of said equipment.

That was my ONLY point. I was not calling your equipment into question, nor casting you into disrepute for not being able to afford a studio. Far from it, actually.

Chill it out, yo.

crispykid88 07-19-2004 05:06 PM

ya i totally agree with you

AstlAdrift 07-19-2004 06:18 PM

Re: song
 
Quote:

Originally posted by awncrew
http://www.awakingnightmare.com/A%20...vs.%20Them.MP3

check it out ...tell me what you think
love
me

Awncrew,

OK, I checked your song out. I can immediately sense that you are a fan of both Dillinger and Suffocation. I actually like the song, but I must make several comments:

1. Drums sound kinda hollow, thicken them up in the mix, maybe add some 180 Hz to fatten things up.

2. Play with song structure a bit, make it a little less complex and repeat cool, edgy, especially groovy parts.

3. Good guitar sound, and playing, but you may be trying for a bit "too" weird, simplify (Cannibal kept it simple for years, which was the secret to their success, that, and JACK).

4. Vocals could use more distinction, and they're too loud.

Other than that, a good effort for doing it yourself. Good luck finding a drummer to keep up with those blast beats, they're hard to come by!

Kevin
www.adrift.cc

awncrew 07-19-2004 06:43 PM

thanks....yeah we are re-releasing it with a new mix on it and the drummer from psyopus is doing our layout..........what can you tell me about getting shows...were a little slow on that.....and im only 17 so i still have school and that sucks...(im the drummer)...and the scene in washington PA sucks ass..

MetalNorm 07-20-2004 05:06 AM

You mean those are real drums, with you playing on it? It sounds like programmimg. Oh well, if it is you, you have calfs of steel!

Sort of silly tech, if you ask me. I like the guitars, but the vocals try to hard to be chris barnes shrieking.

Let me know when you have more stuff, I'll give you my opinion too.

awncrew 07-20-2004 02:21 PM

ill send you a cd if you give me your address
send it in PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SMNnews.com: 2002 -