SMNnews Forums

SMNnews Forums (http://forums.smnnews.com/index.php)
-   General Music Discussion (http://forums.smnnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262)
-   -   Protest the Hero - Fortress (http://forums.smnnews.com/showthread.php?t=173372)

sideslash 12-11-2007 07:38 PM

jesus christ, this singing makes me want to give myself an abortion. 0:20.. what the fuck?

the music isn't bad, but it's not nearly as good as you assfags are hyping it up to be. they're talented, but definitely still have a very "young" sound to them.. there is no flow or structure to this song, just a bunch of parts strung together.

that breakdown at 0:50 fucking sucks.

Jotun 12-11-2007 07:45 PM

Never really liked this band mostly because the singing is so obnoxious.

They can play their instruments well, but meh...

Cambridge_works 12-11-2007 08:08 PM

I think the singing is a lot better...

MustangMan311 12-11-2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cambridge_works (Post 2608929)
I think the singing is a lot better...

I think it's better, but I still think it's obnoxious and sits with the stuff from The Human Abstract or A7X.

Cambridge_works 12-12-2007 12:50 AM

i dont see that all, but hey you are entitled to your own

Joe512 12-12-2007 06:46 PM

Bloodmeat is pretty good, not a big fan of the song on their myspace though.

devouredinchaos 12-12-2007 06:54 PM

God damnit the singer just flat out RUINS both of the singles I've heard so far. Other than that its pretty fucking cool music wise..but seriously I can't fathom WHYYYY bands that have actual good talent always seem to have horrible vocals, (The Mars Volta being a good example and Dredg too) it just kills it for me.

teh Mazn 12-12-2007 06:56 PM

wow. i agree with the vocals for PTH sucking ass, but TMV and dredg? the vocals MAKE those bands IMO.

cloudscollide 12-12-2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devouredinchaos (Post 2609843)
God damnit the singer just flat out RUINS both of the singles I've heard so far. Other than that its pretty fucking cool music wise..but seriously I can't fathom WHYYYY bands that have actual good talent always seem to have horrible vocals, (The Mars Volta being a good example and Dredg too) it just kills it for me.

What the fuck? How did you fit Dredg in there? You know what I can't fucking fathom? People thinking Gavin Hayes actually has anything BUT an incredible fucking voice. Die.

Jotun 12-12-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloudscollide (Post 2609847)
What the fuck? How did you fit Dredg in there? You know what I can't fucking fathom? People thinking Gavin Hayes actually has anything BUT an incredible fucking voice. Die.

Seriously man...he's a bit shaky live but on album, especially Catch Without Arms, he's fucking flawless. It's a great voice without being a pretentious dick about it.

devouredinchaos 12-12-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloudscollide (Post 2609847)

Hah. Stop being a fan boy about it. It's really simple. Some bands would just sound THAT much better with different vocals. To each his own, but thats my opinion.

Jotun 12-12-2007 08:08 PM

Dredg is better than your favorite band, so go fuck yourself to death. You're not allowed an opinion on this hahaha.

parabola5353 12-12-2007 09:54 PM

i really like PTH and think the singing fits well, but they are no where as close to as good as dredg.

receivethearsonist 12-13-2007 03:03 AM

from what i hear in these songs... this album is a step forward from kezia.

fucking ace.

sideslash 12-13-2007 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangMan311 (Post 2609093)
I think it's better, but I still think it's obnoxious and sits with the stuff from The Human Abstract or A7X.

agreed 100%. all three singers try to pull off this 80s-metal-singing-with-a-gay-modern-twist style, and all three deserve death by flying guillotine.

Jotun 12-13-2007 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sideslash (Post 2610302)
agreed 100%. all three singers try to pull off this 80s-metal-singing-with-a-gay-modern-twist style, and all three deserve death by flying guillotine.

Or drill bra!

preech 12-14-2007 01:58 AM

:emot-fail

cloudscollide 12-21-2007 12:22 AM

What do ya know...i'm reviewing this cd for decoy. Didn't listen yet...I reviewed their last cd when I sucked at reviewing. I'll share thoughts then.

Cambridge_works 12-21-2007 01:10 AM

you should a give a break down for all the songs. they don't have to be long or anything.

Alec 12-21-2007 01:58 AM

is dredg an homage to the aliens in titan ae?

cloudscollide 12-21-2007 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holyfuck (Post 2616794)
is dredg an homage to the aliens in titan ae?

Nope. They hate the band name though. They thought of it when they were like teenagers. Haha. And I guess I can do a little summary of each Protest song like I did for The Red Chord...though my summaries for that were horrible. "Sounds like death...guitar solo...breakdown...screaming."

Cambridge_works 12-21-2007 03:14 AM

hey you know what, even the most vauge discriptions can hold me down for a month.. ill just make up shit in my head to hold me over

cloudscollide 12-22-2007 11:39 PM

I'm just typing stuff as I listen to the songs.

1. Bloodmeat | Pretty spaztic introduction. Very catchy sing-along part early in the song. Production is immediately recognized as awesome and way better then the first album. Haha. Oh, that sing-along part is back but with different music underneath it. Random heavy ass ending. Awesome CD opener.

2. The Dissentience | Uber metal start to the song. This song seems rather progressive. Some parts honestly even remind me of btbam in this song. The blast beat over this particular guitar. Another super catchy sing along part over shredding. That's kind of expected I guess. I hear some synths here and there.

3. Bone Marrow | WHAT THE FUCK is going on in the beginning of this song? Snare build up, crazy bass line, sounds like kids singing almost hahaha. Goes into fast punk beat over synths. The vocalists voice is even better than on the first album. A little more controlled yet still very unafraid to try just about anything. Very groovy parts in this song. The synths really add a progressive aspect to this band. I like. 3:18...holy fucking GROOVY. Very pretty outro to the song. Piano, and acoustic guitar.

4. Sequoia Throne | The single i'm sure you've all heard. It's a good song. Sounds like Protest The Hero. Heh.

5. Palms Read | Catchy shred parts ala btbam. Rediculous bass guitar fill. The transitions in this song are rather random though haha. Song has weird fade out but never actually ends. It seems like it does and suddenly the music comes back in really heavy and just jams out. This is prog as hell. Haha. Autodidact shit going on here. No vocals. Whoa...ran into next song. Hold on.

cloudscollide 12-23-2007 12:02 AM

6. Limb From Limb | So far it seems each song is your basic awesome Protest The Hero song but there are those single individual moments in each song that really separate them all. I'm waiting for that one moment in this song. Crazy video game esque guitar effects...or...keyboard. That's not a fucking guitar at all. I'm dumb. Too much fucking booms over this breakdown! Haha. Every 4th measure. Boomtastic.

7. Spoils | Awesome introduction. Very uplifting sounding. Catchy guitars. Thrash metal guitar, and punk beat verse. More booms all over the place. Kinda weird. Ridiculous drum fill with guitars sweeping like nuts over it. This album's musicianship already seems to top the previous album. Awesome sing along at 2:20. The songs are kind of short but have neat interludes and outros thus far. Pretty piano at the end of this song.

8. Wretch | Solid song. Violent lyrics? Something about ripping her fucking head from her shoulders. Heh. Metal. Sweet groove part into almost middle eastern sounding part. "My Goddess gave birth to your God." Such an awesome ending to this song.

9. Goddess Bound | CRAZY beginning. Haha. "At the tip....at the tip...at the tip of my tongue..." Awesome jam out part. This band fits the most progressive technical metal in such short sections. It's awesome. So much shit going on. This is about to run into the last song I bet...nope...I was wrong.

10. Goddess Gagged | But it transitions nicely into it...but not exactly RUNS without stopping into it. Demonic whispers? LOL. I think he just said "WHOOO!" and then whispered "check it out!"...whatever it was. Sounded funny as hell. The ending of the song is cool but it really doesn't seem like CD ender. The song as a whole just sounds like any random song in the middle of the CD haha. This band still hasn't written an actual proper CLOSER yet. Oh well. It's a real good cd. I can't believe I did this. I'm a loser. But this may be informative to some people. Whateves.

Logan 12-23-2007 12:27 AM

i can't wait for it to leak so i can hear it minus the stupid beeps.

cloudscollide 12-23-2007 11:17 AM

Mine doesn't have any beeps?

yeah 12-23-2007 11:34 AM

i'm looking forward to this more than any btbam album. I honestly love this band.

Iain Avstin 12-23-2007 11:39 AM

I just can't get into this band...

what is it people like about them?

teh Mazn 12-23-2007 11:52 AM

the gratuitous shred.

Logan 12-23-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloudscollide (Post 2618433)
Mine doesn't have any beeps?

then leak that shit! no one can catch it if its not watermarked...