Tags: Amon Amarth > deceiver of the gods > metal blade records > Rockstar Energy Mayhem Festival
In celebration of its impending North American release just one week away, today Metal Insider offers up an exclusive track-by-track video premiere of AMON AMARTH’s Deceiver of the Gods. The vibrant art clip includes snippets of each of the record’s epic ten tracks. Additionally, fans can enjoy the accompanying written commentary discussing the themes of each song as relayed by vocalist Johan Hegg.
1) “Deceiver of the Gods” This is basically an introduction to Loke. He describes his background and his devious mind in these lyrics.
2) “As Loke Falls” …is the tale of the battle between Loke and Heimdall at Raganrok, the end of the world.
3) “Father of the Wolf “… is the story of how the fearsome nemesis of Oden, the wolf Fenris, was born.
4) “Shapeshifter” … is based on Loke’s quarrel with the Asa Gods, but also him describing his traits of being able to shift his appearance into different animal shapes, as well as shifting from doing good or bad deeds.
5) “Under Siege” …tells the story of a fortress under siege, where the residents have to make a choice: either starve to death, or make one final desperate attack that is doomed to fail.
6) “Blood Eagle” This is a nasty piece of work. Basically describing a very brutal type of execution.
7) “We Shall Destroy” … is a story about a battle where the warriors of both sides are forming a wall of shields. It’s a story of strength through unity.
8) “Hel” In this song Hel, the ruler for the realm of the dead welcomes the listener to her “humble home” to join her at the banquet of the dead where Famine is your plate and Hunger is your knife. This song features a special guest appearance by Messiah Marcolin!
9) “Coming of the Tide” These lyrics are related to “Under Siege.” It’s the story of how a mounted legion of warriors are rushing to the aid of the besieged, but they arrive too late. Realising everyone is dead they take up the pursuit of those responsible .
10) “The Warriors of the North” This is a story of a group of loyal warriors who are betrayed by their king, and banished from their land. But twenty years later the kingdom is under attack, and they are called back to defend the king who betrayed them, to restore their honour and to get a final chance to die the warriors death so that they can reach Valhalla.
Deceiver of the Gods will be released in North America via Metal Blade Records June 25th, in Europe June 21st/24th and Japan on June 26th.
Following a run of European festival dates already underway, AMON AMARTH will be opening the main stage of this year’s edition of the Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Fest